2016 Camry oil filter wrench broke

Got the ramps out, and drained the oil. Put the socket on my 1/2 HF with the built in cheater and tried to loosen the OF basket. It is an awkward fit and a hard position to work from. I pulled and the socket broke, tearing the cast gazinta off the stamped socket.
The basket socket is from Auto zone, doubt if it is warranteed. Not sure I want another junk tool, it was a poor fit from the start. Any clues to finding a better made tool would be appreciated. What does the dealer give his oil tech? This POS was used only 12 times before it failed. I replaced the widget plug and poured in oil. I'm on the hunt for a better tool and maybe a basket that a socket can get a positive fit on. Rant over, TIA

My shop just uses a hyper tough one found in the oil aisle from Walmart and do 12 camrys a day probably. 64mm I believe? With that said, I wouldn't own a Toyota with cartridge filter just because I hate having that style filter underneath for DIY oil changes. On many of them I've replaced the housing with the metal style and had better luck with future changes.

Last edited:
Did Camrys of that era come in both 4 and 6 cylinder? Are there different filter sizes among the engines offered?

The times I've used these filter/filter housing sockets, they converted twist energy into a force which pushed the ill fitted socket off the work. I had to hold the socket down on the filter hard while turning the wrench.

The premium versions (based on price -and expensive they are!) of these filter removal tools are ring like in configuration.
I've never used one but I bet it fights back less.

I've used my old fashioned blue steel strap wrench on my confined setup. All I need do is align a square bite, nudge the filter housing 10 degrees three times and I can turn it off easily.

There's a strap wrench consisting of a nylon strap and a 4" long piece of square tubing which you shove the drive into.
It's real simple and needs no swing room. Use extensions.

The Lisle tool is heavy duty. The most recent Motivx tool is pretty decent as well (the older cast aluminum are ok, but nothing special).

Sounds like another over tightened Toyota filter housing. These things need to bottom out and just a taste more torque; 18 # ft I believe.
Get a better filter tool; I hate cheap tools; you might break something and you gotta buy twice.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Just take it to a welder and have them buzz the square drive back on

Common problem on stamped steel units like this. They just spot weld the drive and it's barely adequate

What was it made out of and how did it break. Do you have a pic.
'Common problem on stamped steel units like this. They just spot weld the drive and it's barely adequate' exactly what happened Thanks D60
last guy was me:mad:
Thank you all. I'm going shopping. no pics. The socket part,where the tool attaches to1/2 drive, of the tool is made socket grade steel. 21mm-7/8 external hex with 1/2 square in the center. The part of the tool that engages the 3" diameter basket is a piece of stamped steel with slots that engage tabs on the plastic filter basket. The lighter,cheaper basket was made for robots to install long before the final stages of assembly. I'm in total agreement with Tee Cee. It never occurred to me to check where the oil filter was located. It was quite properly placed on my daughter's'06 Corolla. :cool:

My shop just uses a hyper tough one found in the oil aisle from Walmart and do 12 camrys a day probably. 64mm I believe? With that said, I wouldn't own a Toyota with cartridge filter just because I hate having that style filter underneath for DIY oil changes. On many of them I've replaced the housing with the metal style and had better luck with future changes.

I did not buy a Camry 10 years ago just for the fact it has that stupid filter design.

Newest Camry has the traditional spin on oil filter.

'Common problem on stamped steel units like this. They just spot weld the drive and it's barely adequate' exactly what happened Thanks D60
last guy was me:mad:
Thank you all. I'm going shopping. no pics. The socket part,where the tool attaches to1/2 drive, of the tool is made socket grade steel. 21mm-7/8 external hex with 1/2 square in the center. The part of the tool that engages the 3" diameter basket is a piece of stamped steel with slots that engage tabs on the plastic filter basket. The lighter,cheaper basket was made for robots to install long before the final stages of assembly. I'm in total agreement with Tee Cee. It never occurred to me to check where the oil filter was located. It was quite properly placed on my daughter's'06 Corolla. :cool:
Oh like those generic thin cheap steel ones. Here's a milled American made option, should fit much better. But yeah these cartridge filters are just stupid. Thankfully Toyota went back to a canister filter.

I bought this for the 4Runner. It has been great.
IMG_6442.jpeg
IMG_6443.jpeg

Does Toyota sell an OE one? I have one for my bmw and Honda, they’re both better than what one gets in an auto parts store.

That motive one looks solid…

I have the Blue Point version it works nicely. Don’t get the ones at the auto parts stores they break all the time. Get one that just goes around the bottom area.

I bought this for the 4Runner. It has been great. View attachment 184460View attachment 184461

The new Motivx filter tool (MX2320) is a perfect fit for the latest Mazda Skyactiv spin-on filters made in Thailand (1WPY-14-302 & 1WPE-14-302), as well as Wix 51394 and 51365 spin-on filters. I'm sure there are others of this same size, but these are the ones I have experience with.

The Mazda Roki filters made in Japan have slightly different dimensions and do not work with this.

The new Motivx filter tool (MX2320) is a perfect fit for the latest Mazda Skyactiv spin-on filters made in Thailand (1WPY-14-302 & 1WPE-14-302), as well as Wix 51394 and 51365 spin-on filters. I'm sure there are others of this same size, but these are the ones I have experience with.

The Mazda Roki filters made in Japan have slightly different dimensions and do not work with this.
Interesting! I never even considered trying it on non-Toyota-cartridge housings. But yeah, the latest one is essentially just a fluted socket so it makes sense.....

Back