Ram 5.7L Hemi; Amsoil XL 5w-20 2.7k miles

I plan on keeping this truck. I hear you about the x-30 oils. It’s a lifetime warranty though so I’m not sure I want to go using spec’d oil outside what it calls for in the manual. I will look into the HPL. As long as it’s API certified, meets the MS6395, and 5w-20 it would keep me in the good graces of my warranty.
Technically, if you are doing the oil changes yourself, you will only be able to provide oil purchase receipts and a service log. It is up to the warranty company if they want to believe you.

For comparison, here is mine:

Technically, if you are doing the oil changes yourself, you will only be able to provide oil purchase receipts and a service log. It is up to the warranty company if they want to believe you.

Yup, I’ve been keeping all receipts and keeping a service log.

My last test with the higher tin levels came just after a long 500 mile trip which included going over 3 passes. I wasn’t towing but I was hauling quite a bit of weight. This could have had something to do with the higher levels.

Remember, these are Parts Per MILLION, 2 or 3 PPM is within the noise range, somebody could have eaten at the tin burrito and farted near your sample and that's what's being picked up.

Without a virgin baseline, you also don't know if those couple of PPM weren't just already in the oil in the first place.

Remember, these are Parts Per MILLION, 2 or 3 PPM is within the noise range, somebody could have eaten at the tin burrito and farted near your sample and that's what's being picked up.

Without a virgin baseline, you also don't know if those couple of PPM weren't just already in the oil in the first place.
That’s a good perspective and point. Thanks for that

I also see amsoil is higher in magnesium and calcium, detergents. Maybe it just carried out some of my break in wear metals? Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

It should be up to them to prove that the owner didn’t change the oil as required and or prove that the maintenance or lack of maintenance caused damage.
We went through this with a transmission a number of years ago.
You can and should have the damage assessed by an independent shop first as well as provide UOA results in a case like that.
Simply “I have proof that the oil was fine have records of changing the oil. Have analyses of the current fill. Have my lawyer on speed dial”.
They screw people that they believe will not stand their ground to the end.

These UOA are fine. Sn and Pb aren't enough to concern yourself with or worry that a change to 30 grade is needed. Ppm....ppm....

3ppm is hardly an “explosion”, especially when you’ve changed brands and formulations. Get a couple more UOAs, with the SAME oil, so you can build some trends. One sample in a vacuum is nearly worthless for your $38, IMHO…
This right here. Stick with one of your choice.

Likely the 3ppm is just clean up of some break in material laid down in a bearing

The idea was to run a few oils and compare picking the better of them.
This will take a loooooong time if you're going to try to use UOAs to identify which one is "better". 30 samples from each oil, to say with certainty. It's an unfortunate fact of statistics, and UOA is not the correct tool to assess wear. It's to determine if the oil is still meeting its operational requirements (is viscosity still in grade, TBN, insolubles, flashpoint, presence of fuel or antifreeze) and not intended to determine actual wear, since it is only looking at particles smaller than about 7 microns.

Thursday said:
My engine appears to have certainly like it better.

See above... making a determination about an oil's relative performance to other oils after a single sample is about as accurate as blindfolding yourself, spinning in circles like an ice skater for 3 minutes straight, and then trying to throw a live grenade accurately. More data than that is required, 3 samples with the same oil will start to give you a trend, but it's still not enough to make a determination with certainty.

No real worries though, either oil should work well over the long run; it's not like you're using some backwater gas station's house brand...

Back