ram 2005 diesel fuel filter replacement, what was in there?

1619532035788.png
2005 looks pretty clean
has at least 6000 miles on it, was I think changed at the dodge dealer last year. Cover was so tight had to take off air horn to get leverage on the plastic cover.
number hard to read seems to be 182601617 and some more digits
Tough to get off the plastic cover and tough to lift it out of the housing.
I put in a Baldwin pf7977

1619532166191.png

1619532382912.jpg

very clean inside intake and grid heater looks great
1619532431567.jpg

Any water or crud at the bottom of the filter housing? Did you drain any fuel over the winter?
No crud or water, very clean inside.
I have a prefilter to this. I use a DD 60 series filter head and a wix 33118 filter.
I also have a post filter, I use a CAT AHE 1R0750, but will replace it with a CAT UHE 416-1225

In most cases OEM diesel fuel filters are excellent filters.
The Baldwin is 5 micron, the OEM is 8 or 10 micron, these Baldwins are the best in the 5.9 Cummins OEM spot. This is info from various places includes cummins forum. I added a DD 60 series pre filter of 30 micron and a post of supposedly 2 to 4 micron, a filter made by CAT.
I have gauges on pressure from in tank pump at 9.5, and after all filters before cp3 injection pump of 5 psi.
When I first added the 2 new filters, PSI was 7. Changing the OEM filter in the middle did not change the output pressure, so I figure the AHE CAT filter is catching some debris, enough to drop the output psi from 7 to 5,
CP3 injection pump is happy with low pressure at the input, it cares mostly about flow.

The Baldwin is 5 micron, the OEM is 8 or 10 micron, these Baldwins are the best in the 5.9 Cummins OEM spot. This is info from various places includes cummins forum. I added a DD 60 series pre filter of 30 micron and a post of supposedly 2 to 4 micron, a filter made by CAT.
I have gauges on pressure from in tank pump at 9.5, and after all filters before cp3 injection pump of 5 psi.
When I first added the 2 new filters, PSI was 7. Changing the OEM filter in the middle did not change the output pressure, so I figure the AHE CAT filter is catching some debris, enough to drop the output psi from 7 to 5,
CP3 injection pump is happy with low pressure at the input, it cares mostly about flow.

Have you had problems with bad fuel? Seems like a lot of filtering of the fuel. What about water in the fuel?
My fuel is very good, typical diesel, no water.
If you read up on diesel fuel filtration for modern diesel engines, the finer the filter, the longer common rail injectors will last.
It is simply preventing as much as possible wear in common rail injectors which run at 20,000 psi etc.
Becuase when common rail injectors fail, they can destroy the engine and also they cost $2500 just for the parts like 6 injectors, from reputable sources.

My fuel is very good, typical diesel, no water.
If you read up on diesel fuel filtration for modern diesel engines, the finer the filter, the longer common rail injectors will last.
It is simply preventing as much as possible wear in common rail injectors which run at 20,000 psi etc.
Becuase when common rail injectors fail, they can destroy the engine and also they cost $2500 just for the parts like 6 injectors, from reputable sources.
Absolutely agree! I just posted my fuel filters tonight after ~9,500 miles and ~14 months. $85 for filters is cheap considered to several thousands for injectors and even more for a CP3 pump...

Just my $0.02

Back