Rain X De-Icer Washer Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really like the original Rain X washer fluid, and I'm considering using thier 'De-Icer' version for the upcoming winter, but I'm concerned that it may be too harsh on a car's paint. What do you all think?

Rain X De-Icer

I have used the prestone deicer fluids for over 4 years in 3 differnet vehicles and never had a prob with my paint. which reminds me I need to pick some up. as my summer washer fluid just ran out. kinda great timming dont ya think

I bought the original Rain X washer fluid once by mistake. It really messed up the efficiency of the windshield wipers. Especially on humid mornings, it caused water to bead up right behind the wipers forming millions of tiny droplets that caused terrible glare, even with new blades . . . very unsafe. It's been two years and I still haven't been able to decontaminate the system. I can't imagine why anybody would even consider using it.

I've used the RainX de-icer and like it. I have 4 or 5 jugs in the garage I bought on clearance last spring fo 50 cents each. It puts a good coat of RainX on the windshield so if you don't like the RainX just get you a regular de-icer.

thats the only thing I hate about rainX. it causes smears when using the wipers. I use to have something from the air force that we used on the bombers windshields that was like rainx. but a whole lot better. you turn your wipers on and no streaks. I wish I would of got a bunch of that stuff before I got out. this stuff makes rain x look like plain water.

quote:

Originally posted by Dark Jedi:
thats the only thing I hate about rainX. it causes smears when using the wipers. I use to have something from the air force that we used on the bombers windshields that was like rainx. but a whole lot better. you turn your wipers on and no streaks. I wish I would of got a bunch of that stuff before I got out. this stuff makes rain x look like plain water.

Bombers have windshield wipers? Wouldn't they be blown off at their speeds?

yeah they have winshield wipers. they dont blow off because the spring they have on the arm is so stiff that it takes brute force to just keep it lifted to clean under it.they dont work all that good so thats why we put rain repellaint on the glass. they just turn them on when they taxi to the runway for take off.

quote:

Originally posted by Jonny Z:

quote:

Bombers have windshield wipers? Wouldn't they be blown off at their speeds?

Many aircraft do. The usual design is that when "parked" they sit down behind a little edge of metal that shields them from the full air blast. I flew the EA-6 in the Marines for eight years, and this acft had the "other" design -- little nozzles that blasted high pressure air on the windshield. In both cases, though, wipers or nozzles, they're only meant for low speed ops. Just like car Rain-X, when you're going faster, the coating and wind blast take care of rain removal.

BTW, I gave up on RainX fluids long ago. They caused my wipers to stick and chatter badly, despite all efforts to clean them. The manually applied product is better in that regard, but I've finally given up on it too.

Big Al, there's hope yet (see my "Sticky Chattering Wipers" thread in the Mechanical... forum here). Try BonAmi or Soft Scrub cleanser on your glass and wiper inserts. Obviously, be careful not to scrub the cleanser on your adjacent paint. It completely cleans the glass to near-perfection. XS650 recommends also using a clay bar (detailing product) to perfect the result. Its amazing how nice really clean glass is. Ironically, bare glass (really bare) beads water itself pretty well.
cheers.gif

quote:

Big Al, there's hope yet (see my "Sticky Chattering Wipers" thread in the Mechanical... forum here). Try BonAmi or Soft Scrub cleanser on your glass and wiper inserts. Obviously, be careful not to scrub the cleanser on your adjacent paint. It completely cleans the glass to near-perfection. XS650 recommends also using a clay bar (detailing product) to perfect the result. Its amazing how nice really clean glass is. Ironically, bare glass (really bare) beads water itself pretty well.

Thanks, I actually cleaned the windshields on the two affected cars with Bon Ami. It helped until I used the washers again. Once the Rain-X is in the tank it seems to stay there forever despite running lots of other stuff through. Apparently a little goes a long way.

I occasionally use Bon Ami to clean up oxidized paint on older cars. I learned that trick from a guy I used to work with whose cars always looked great, despite parking next to a foundry. It works better than some of the polishing compounds sold to do this. Like the label says "It hasn't scratched yet."

I've been using RainX washer fluid for a couple of years now. I've been very satisfied with it and haven't had the problems the others are having. It seems to help visibility in just about any rainy situation, whether I'm using the wipers or not, especially in heavy rains. One thing I really like about it is that your windshield won't get a solid film of water on it when parked, so if you start moving before turning on the wipers, you'll still be able to see.

Also, my paint is just fine.

quote:

which reminds me I need to pick some up. as my summer washer fluid just ran out. kinda great timming dont ya think

My wife just added 'summer' fluid to the washer reservoir
pat.gif
. Freezing for this summer rated fluid is 0 degrees cel. or 32 F. Ill will try to have her use this fluid as much as she can...hopefully using up as much as possible before the really cold temps set in. If I can get it down to half a reservoir will topping it up with winter fluid counteract having some non winter fluid in the fill tank?

I like the RainX washer fluid. I've never noticed it "staining" the paint, but it does leave a distinctive residue behind. The residue has always washed off in the carwash for me though.

quote:

Originally posted by Boxgrover:

quote:

which reminds me I need to pick some up. as my summer washer fluid just ran out. kinda great timming dont ya think

pat.gif
. Freezing for this summer rated fluid is 0 degrees cel. or 32 F. Ill will try to have her use this fluid as much as she can...hopefully using up as much as possible before the really cold temps set in. If I can get it down to half a reservoir will topping it up with winter fluid counteract having some non winter fluid in the fill tank?

or you could just dissconect the supply line under your tank and drain it all out. yo ucan put it back in the bottle and put it on the shelf for next summer

quote:

Originally posted by BigAl:
{snip} Thanks, I actually cleaned the windshields on the two affected cars with Bon Ami. It helped until I used the washers again. Once the Rain-X is in the tank it seems to stay there forever despite running lots of other stuff through. Apparently a little goes a long way.
{snip}

Maybe the "blue" that I've refilled does a better job of dispersing the RainX residue. I also purged the tank carefully by spraying out all the RX I could, moving the car, repeating, etc. I did this until my "low washer fluid" light stayed on steady and the pump was howling like a banshee (yes, I stopped when it started howling...). For me, so far, so good. Two weeks and my glass is still very clean with no apparent RainX hangover.

quote:

Originally posted by Boxgrover:

quote:

pat.gif

Or you could just go to your nearest home improvement center and buy some denatured alcohol. roughly 8 ounces of this added to the "summer" fluid will lower the freeze point enough so that you don't have to waste it just to get it out of the reservoir.

I forwarded my question to Rain-X, here's their reply:

quote:

Thank you for your interest in our Rain-X product line.

Rain-X Washer Fluid with De-Icer will not harm the clear coat finish
or
your vehicle paint.

Best Regards,
Robert Montgomery

I guess I'll give it a try. I've never had any problems with the original Rain-X washer fluid, no streaking or residue. Actually has worked quite well, easier to clean bug debris and dirt from windows and windows shed rain better.

A test that we use to use for surface cleanliness was the lack of beading. The effectiveness of different compounds to create beading is related to how they affect surface tension, where the 'contact angle' can be measured if desired.

My wife had a phamphlet from Shell in Germany on car care, and they recommended measuring the size of the water beads on the finish to determine when to wax :^)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back