Race track seat removal question

Back in the 90s NASCAR had a major boom in attendance and all tracks increased their capacities by adding seats. Slowly but surely the attendances wavered and seats are removed. Now my question. What is the underlying purpose of removing the seats and lowering their max capacity? Seems like they could just leave the seats where they are so if attendances begin to rise again they are all set. Please educate me on why they spend money to remove what they already spent money to build. And may have to spend again in the future. Thanks

Don

Back in the 90s NASCAR had a major boom in attendance and all tracks increased their capacities by adding seats. Slowly but surely the attendances wavered and seats are removed. Now my question. What is the underlying purpose of removing the seats and lowering their max capacity? Seems like they could just leave the seats where they are so if attendances begin to rise again they are all set. Please educate me on why they spend money to remove what they already spent money to build. And may have to spend again in the future. Thanks

Don
So the TV cameras don't show empty stands? Constrain supply and charge more for tickets? Those are the only things I can come up with.

I know many years ago when I used to watch, they were very careful with their camera shots to not show the grandstands, but every now and then you'd get a good clear shot and notice that they were largely empty in a lot of places.

Just doesn't make sense to me is all. Unless there is some underlying financial negative to having more capacity than sales. Is it possible that the tax on the property is less if there are less seats? Or something along those lines? I wouldn't think so but there has to be some really good reason to spend money to remove what you once paid to install

Don

Its purely optics. Looks better on TV when the stands are full. Plus when attendance is in demand again, they can increase the price of the tickets for the remaining seats. Its the same pattern as new baseball and football stadiums having less seating and more "premium" options like sky boxes and luxury suites.

Like others have said empty stands don't look good and when you remove them it cuts down on maintenance and liability plus saves money for tax purposes, My local short track Berlin Raceway bought some stands from Michigan International Speedway when they reduced their seating capacity and Berlin ended up with some really nice seating so it's not going to waste!

I believe it has already been mentioned...less premium seating means you can charge higher prices.

I remember being a poor college kid wanting to go to concerts, and being so upset at how expensive they were. My econ teacher asked me a question on the subject once..."Is it sold out"? The answer from me was "yes". The reply wasn't one I wanted to hear - "then they aren't charging enough".

Back