Anyone fly as a passenger in a military transport or perhaps in a jump seat?

Just kind of wondering who has done it. I've toured a KC-10 and a C-5 before and saw the seating areas. One one of them another visitor (who claimed to be a flight attendant) said that the KC-10 had a coffee maker just the same as in a commercial DC-10. Other than the "amenities" like coffee, it seemed kind of spartan. Of course there are reports of military transport planes being used to fly well in excess of their rated capacity for people, but that may be a special case. I saw a movie once (with participation of the USAF) showing personnel on a C-17 who were just lying down in the cargo area and not seated like in these:

060312-F-3488S-035.JPG

Of course there are other ways to kind of hitch a ride. Of course Cast Away showed a FedEx exec catching a few rides in jump seats. And the 2015 version of Vacation shows the protagonist going on a trip to France with his wife, but only where they were allowed to sit in jump seats next to the bathroom and where they had to deal with the PA handset cord.

Last edited:
C130s a few times. We racked out in the vehicles that were loaded as cargo. No flight attendants, no goodies. Sometimes ****ed cold too.

More times than I can count. C-130, C-17, CH-53, S-61, UH-60, CH-47, CH-46, C-23, Caravans, MD-530F, Mi-17, Mi-8.

Think that's it.

Back when I was a cadet in Civil Air Patrol we got to go on some o-rides on C-130s out of Port Hueneme. They were loud. We sat on the side seats, there was nothing in the normal cargo area. I think I was 13 or so on the first one and the load master was going through my CD case giving me thumbs up and down for each CD. They let us come up to the cockpit and be nosey. One of the pilots asked about the TFR over Hope Ranch. I told him it was all rich people who hated the noise, so when we did a couple touch and go's at SBA they made sure to fly right over Hope Ranch for me.

C-130 a few times. slept on top of a generator trailer one time, on top of luggage another time. In a C-130 the cargo area seating is like canvas benches that run parallel to the plane (sideways?) so they are easy to lay on unless they are full. They had a galley with a coffee maker and tiny oven and a maintenance publication library. The Lavatory was a funnel running out of the aircraft or bucket with a seat and you pulled a shower curtain around when you used it. If you were the only one to use it on the flight the loadmaster would hand you the bag as a parting gift! I can claim I pee'd on Las Vegas once...
The cockpit of the E models has 4 seats for the flight crew (Commander, Co-pilot, Engineer, Navigator) and two bunks, the bottom bunk had seat belts to use it for seating. Sitting up there you could unbuckle and stand behind the crew seats as soon as the gear was up. Once at cruise they'd let you sit in their seats and jink the aircraft a bit.
The current J model has a 2 person crew with an additional seat for observers and it has flushing lavatory similar to a commercial plane.

C-130 a few times. slept on top of a generator trailer one time, on top of luggage another time. In a C-130 the cargo area seating is like canvas benches that run parallel to the plane (sideways?) so they are easy to lay on unless they are full. They had a galley with a coffee maker and tiny oven and a maintenance publication library. The Lavatory was a funnel running out of the aircraft or bucket with a seat and you pulled a shower curtain around when you used it. If you were the only one to use it on the flight the loadmaster would hand you the bag as a parting gift! I can claim I pee'd on Las Vegas once...
The cockpit of the E models has 4 seats for the flight crew (Commander, Co-pilot, Engineer, Navigator) and two bunks, the bottom bunk had seat belts to use it for seating. Sitting up there you could unbuckle and stand behind the crew seats as soon as the gear was up. Once at cruise they'd let you sit in their seats and jink the aircraft a bit.
The current J model has a 2 person crew with an additional seat for observers and it has flushing lavatory similar to a commercial plane.

For some reason I keep on thinking of this crazy idea.

C-130 jump seat and about the coldest I have ever felt. Flying into Baghdad at night, with the flares coming off the plane was pretty surreal.

Coming home from a tour on Okinawa in 1964 caught a military hop from LA to Maguire. Was supposed to be nonstop until some General in San Antonio decided pull the aircraft down for a ride east. Aircraft was unheated with metal seats facing backward and in the dark. Most miserable flight of my life but then it was free. From NJ to Boston flew on a 4 engine piston prop {DC 10?} which I`ll never forget as it was so interesting.

Flew on a Coast Guard C-130 from Kodiak to Elmendorf AFB. It was winter time so the temperatures were down there. The hot coffee was the one thing that kept us thawed. The frozen butterhorn they handed out was hard as a rock and inedible.

Came back the same day. Those C-130s were really loud.

August 1961. I think it was an Air Force C-124. It flew from somewhere in Turkey to deliver supplies to the Naval Detachment at the American Embassy Nicosia Cyprus. I picked it up there, RAF Nicosia. (Nicosia Airport no longer in operation as it is in No-Mans land guarded by UN Troops). Only other passenger was an Airman flying to CONUS on Emergency Leave. We sat on benches on sides. Changed from my Civilian cloths to my Uniform while on board. Flew to Athens where Air Force put me up overnight. Next day flew same plane to Air Force base in Chateaux France, stayed two hours, then to Frankfurt Germany. (Took me a week in Frankfurt before they put me on a PanAm 707 to McGuire AFB, Trenton NJ.)

Coming home from a tour on Okinawa in 1964 caught a military hop from LA to Maguire. Was supposed to be nonstop until some General in San Antonio decided pull the aircraft down for a ride east. Aircraft was unheated with metal seats facing backward and in the dark. Most miserable flight of my life but then it was free. From NJ to Boston flew on a 4 engine piston prop {DC 10?} which I`ll never forget as it was so interesting.

DC-10 was a three-engined jet. The KC-10 tanker/cargo variant is still flying today. I think the latest in the "DC" series with propellers would have been a DC-7.

United_Air_Lines_Douglas_DC-7_N6316C_%284589820053%29.jpg

On one of my many deployments for GWOT, we flew in the back of a C17 with the cargo. We were in uniform and had our weapons (no ammo), and I might have even had a combat knife. I don't recall, and it's not important. We flew in the jump seats along the outside, and the interior tracks had huge cargo boxes and maybe even Humvees strapped down, I don't recall. But it was full of cargo and my small unit.

There were pros and cons. No amenties that I recall. And it was very cold, barely any heat. The nice thing was we were warned to bring sleeping bags and cold weather gear. You could sprawl out on the floor and sleep. That was really nice. The airframe was freezing cold, however, but the sleeping bags kept me pretty warm. I was pretty well rested when I arrived, unlike almost every other international flight I've taken where I arrive feeling exhausted having sat in a cramped seat for a full day of flying...

As it pertains to this question, we stopped somewhere, I think US east coast, and picked up dozens of civilians flying Space Available (Space-A) to our next stop, somewhere in Europe. It's a blur now, so many trips back and forth but I think it was probably Germany at Rammstein airbase. It was just surreal going on a combat flight to fight terrorists, and then having a bunch of civilians with their kids hop on for a ride across the ocean.

Back