Anyone fly as a passenger in a military transport or perhaps in a jump seat?

On one of my many deployments for GWOT, we flew in the back of a C17 with the cargo. We were in uniform and had our weapons (no ammo), and I might have even had a combat knife. I don't recall, and it's not important. We flew in the jump seats along the outside, and the interior tracks had huge cargo boxes and maybe even Humvees strapped down, I don't recall. But it was full of cargo and my small unit.

There were pros and cons. No amenties that I recall. And it was very cold, barely any heat. The nice thing was we were warned to bring sleeping bags and cold weather gear. You could sprawl out on the floor and sleep. That was really nice. The airframe was freezing cold, however, but the sleeping bags kept me pretty warm. I was pretty well rested when I arrived, unlike almost every other international flight I've taken where I arrive feeling exhausted having sat in a cramped seat for a full day of flying...

As it pertains to this question, we stopped somewhere, I think US east coast, and picked up dozens of civilians flying Space Available (Space-A) to our next stop, somewhere in Europe. It's a blur now, so many trips back and forth but I think it was probably Germany at Rammstein airbase. It was just surreal going on a combat flight to fight terrorists, and then having a bunch of civilians with their kids hop on for a ride across the ocean.

Did the kids have a little sleepover too?

Did the kids have a little sleepover too?

I cannot remember, nor did I pay any real attention to, the civilians and their sleep setups. I recall doing a lot of reading and sleeping. I had a lot on my mind. About the only thing I do remember is the annoying civilians letting their kids run around which I thought was distracting and inappropriate.

Back