Quote to add an outside electrical outlet

I had a local electrician come out to give me quote to add an electrical outlet to the outside back of the garage. To give some context, the garage is unfinished and there is an existing outlet inside the garage right next we where we want the outlet on the outside of the garage. I figured make a hole, wire on the new outlet with the existing wires and done - maybe a couple hundred bucks? We have vinyl siding and it seems pretty straight forward.

The quote was $1906.00 to add a 20-amp outlet.

Does that seem crazy?

Does that seem crazy?

Does that include running the wire back to the load center for a new 20 amp circuit?

If I were having an electrician give me a quote for a new outlet, I would make it very clear that I didn't want a new circuit and wanted the outlet tapped off an existing outlet nearby.

Depends on if he runs a new line to its own breaker, and the local costs of doing business. This is when you get multiple estimates and decide for yourself.

Time for an EU2200... which gives you an outside outlet anywhere you want in exchange for some fuel and oil.

He/she is not going to tie a 20amp outlet to an existing. Electricians are busy . The hacker I have used for $100-$200 outlets is even hesitant to tie into existing .

Just like Denist’s there is limited supply out there and plenty of work .

It sounds to me like he is not interested in the job, and he doesn't know how to say it.
I'm so tired of the attitude of local contractors. So many of them want nothing to do with "little jobs" but people still need little jobs done. Better yet, little jobs lead to bigger jobs and we are about to start planning a remodel.

He/she is not going to tie a 20amp outlet to an existing. Electricians are busy .

Just like Denist’s there is limited supply out there and plenty of work .
It's about a 6' run to the breaker box. If that sounds reasonable then it sounds reasonable.

Wonder if he thought he ad to run conduit back to the panel?

Seems like a crazy price to me if it's just a few feet...

Are you allowed to do your own electrical, or do you have to pull a permit in your locality? I wonder if he might have some sort of $500 NRE just to deal with permits.

I'm so tired of the attitude of local contractors. So many of them want nothing to do with "little jobs"
Why should they do "little" jobs when they're plenty busy with bigger, more profitable ones ?

It might not be possible to simply add a 20-amp outlet. If there's 14-gauge UF Romex feeding that existing outlet, you can't run a 20A outlet off of that. What wiring feeds the garage ? Is the existing outlet 15A or 20A ?

Is the quote itemized ? Very curious what it includes if so.

Sounds expensive. However there could be a new breaker involved.
Here where I live-every parent wants their kid to go to a school and have either Spanish or Chinese immersion. And then become a rocket scientist. Consequently there is a shortage or tradesman here and it's only getting worse. I am not even going to touch on how some of these kids are not rocket science material but their parents don't see that.

Anyway-we can either pay the price or DIY.

I had a local electrician come out to give me quote to add an electrical outlet to the outside back of the garage. To give some context, the garage is unfinished and there is an existing outlet inside the garage right next we where we want the outlet on the outside of the garage. I figured make a hole, wire on the new outlet with the existing wires and done - maybe a couple hundred bucks? We have vinyl siding and it seems pretty straight forward.

Does that seem crazy?
Absolutely unreasonable. That's A DIY job if you have some basic skills, follow the local code, a VOM (meter) and you don't take chances. About 35 - 50 dollars in parts. Hardest part will be trimming the siding then bending and cutting a bit of conduit (if required) 1.5hrs on a bad day.

Does that include running the wire back to the load center for a new 20 amp circuit?

If I were having an electrician give me a quote for a new outlet, I would make it very clear that I didn't want a new circuit and wanted the outlet tapped off an existing outlet nearby.
I agree . For that kind of money it better be a dedicated circuit .

Back