Bought a generator off a tractor trailer......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Originally Posted By: tig1
I back feed through my welder outlet to power the house. I just pop the main and it works well. I test run, with a load, my generator every year if it hasn't been used for a power failure.

Just don't get in a hurry and forget the main, and end up hurting or killing someone from the power company...mmmm'kay?

Forgetting once is all it would take.

You are correct. Forgetting once with electricity of any sort can be deadly.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Originally Posted By: tig1
I back feed through my welder outlet to power the house. I just pop the main and it works well. I test run, with a load, my generator every year if it hasn't been used for a power failure.

Just don't get in a hurry and forget the main, and end up hurting or killing someone from the power company...mmmm'kay?

Forgetting once is all it would take.

Yup. You wouldn't think it, but that generator will back feed into the lines through the tranformers at the full voltage. 10,000 volts through a line worker wouldn't work out well. It's not cheap, but I urge you to get a professionally installed switch for your generator. The main breaker doesn't always completely shut off the power, and it doesn't take a whole lot.

Originally Posted By: rudolphna
The main breaker doesn't always completely shut off the power, and it doesn't take a whole lot.

Uhhh, so how does it partially remain connected? (Unless it's an old Zinsco)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back