QuietGlide brake hardware question

Hey folks,

I've ordered some parts for a couple brake jobs on my vehicles and will be trying Carlson QuietGlide brake hardware for the first time. The feature on this hardware is the PTFE coating which is supposed to significantly reduce drag/friction. I'm curious if any of you have used their hardware and if you still grease under or above the abutment clips or brake pad wings?

Thanks!

Hey folks,

I've ordered some parts for a couple brake jobs on my vehicles and will be trying Carlson QuietGlide brake hardware for the first time. The feature on this hardware is the PTFE coating which is supposed to significantly reduce drag/friction. I'm curious if any of you have used their hardware and if you still grease under or above the abutment clips or brake pad wings?

Thanks!

Hate to reply to my own post, but I just received a reply back from Carlson's engineering department already:

The lubrication would not be required on the quiet glide clips, but it wouldn’t necessarily hurt anything if they were to lubricate these clips.

I always use some type of lubricant, while some argue it's not necessary or that you should NOT use it, but in the case of this PTFE coated hardware, I would probably skip it (just to see how it works). Are you buying this hardware mostly because of this feature ? If so, by putting lubricant over top of the PTFE, you're negating it being there.

I'd like to see how long any coating lasts on those clips. I grease mine but only because I figure it helps the pads get seated better when I'm putting them together. A few heat cycles and trips and the grease is long gone.

I always use some type of lubricant, while some argue it's not necessary or that you should NOT use it, but in the case of this PTFE coated hardware, I would probably skip it (just to see how it works). Are you buying this hardware mostly because of this feature ? If so, by putting lubricant over top of the PTFE, you're negating it being there.

I just picked this particular hardware at random on RockAuto. It had a heart next to it which I think means a lot of folks buy it for my application. Also, it was only $7. After googling around a bit it seems like QuietGlide hardware is pretty well received/reviewed.

I'd like to see how long any coating lasts on those clips. I grease mine but only because I figure it helps the pads get seated better when I'm putting them together. A few heat cycles and trips and the grease is long gone.
Perhaps one benefit here with no grease is you're less likely to attract dirt/grim to buildup in the clips over time? I suppose I'm also curious about a thin layer of grease on the bracket where the clips attach to help prevent/slow rust formation underneath the clips? Although, there's not a lot of rust issues here in Colorado. Anywho, just picking BITOG's brain on this one.

Last edited:
Of course I'd still grease it, because that is only one of the two pieces that come in contact with each other. The grease not only lubricates but also retards rust, including once the PTFE wears off. How do other things coated with PTFE avoid wearing it? By not coming in contact with anything harder, like metal.

Perhaps one benefit here with no grease is you're less likely to attract dirt/grim to buildup in the clips over time? I suppose I'm also curious about a thin layer of grease on the bracket where the clips attach to help prevent/slow rust formation underneath the clips? Although, there's not a lot of rust issues here in Colorado. Anywho, just picking BITOG's brain on this one.
Any caliper grease I've ever used has always been completely gone shortly after assembly. Not a bit left, bone dry. I'm not surprised really with the heat and weathering. I also agree with whoever mentioned grit sticking to the grease, IF it were to actually stay.

Any caliper grease I've ever used has always been completely gone shortly after assembly. Not a bit left, bone dry. I'm not surprised really with the heat and weathering. I also agree with whoever mentioned grit sticking to the grease, IF it were to actually stay.
Molykote M77 actually stays on the surface if applied thick enough. I have seen it stay on the tabs and clips for 5+ years.

Bad news is....if you apply it thick enough (to last), it also turns sticky enough to cause pads to not slide freely. Moral of the story: it is a great noise dampener (for shims) only.

Even with PTFE coating on the clips I would still put anti-seize under the clips since the coating will not stop the brake pad mounting points on the caliper from rusting and swelling which causes the pads to stick.

Back