Quick lube shop scams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep in mind that not all oil change workers are morons, with no knowledge and no education.
rolleyes.gif
I worked at one while going to college, because of the flexable hours and the fact that I like working on cars. While some of my coworkers were morons, others were smart people and some had ceritification or college degrees, others were working toward it.

nono.gif

-T

[ February 26, 2004, 03:48 PM: Message edited by: T-Keith ]

quote:

Originally posted by tom slick:
one thing to keep in mind with the iffy lube places;
if those morons wern't changing hot oil in your car they'd be changing hot oil in the deep friers at McDonalds, same class of moron. none of them are mechanics or even have a real ASE certification.
with that said, the place my dad takes his vehicles to is excellent. yes they do the usual marketing things but their service is good to him and they are honest. they are an independant shop in a small town though.
if you are not going to change your own oil why not take it to a local, independant, reputable garage and get a real mechanic to change your oil, support the small guy and your local economy.

Could not have said it any better...
lol.gif

Since I enjoy changing oil so much (even with 3 cars and short intervals, I can never change it enough) I figure I might as well apply to some of these places for a summer job when I come back from college. Obviously, I'll spill any dirt here that I find.

quote:

Originally posted by bernhardschau:
Automotive repair scams have been around as long as cars themselves and are not only isolated to oil change places. In Canada, the Automobile Protection Agency, a non-profit organization, does an annual undercover report with cameras and stuff. They usually take a perfectly good vehicle and create a no-brainer repair such as a loose hose or connection. Repair bills should be less than $100 but are sometimes as much as $1500. Overall, there is only about a 50% pass rate in this investigation. In other words, 50% of car repair places rip you off. The worst is Canadian Tire.

Here is the link for the 2003 report.

http://www.apa.ca/template.asp?SectionID=3&ArticleID=12

that's hilarious. I know the owner of the goodyear service center in toronto they actually singled out. LMAO.

I am a quick lube manager and have been working for the same place for nearly six years. We are brutally honest about customer's vehicles and are very fanatical about procedures.

Every drain and check plug is torqued to factory specs. Why? Because several manufacturers use aluminum oil pans such as Chrysler and Hyundai. If it's overtightened one too many times they threads easily strip. If a plug doesn't clean up through the straightener, I suggest replacing it.

Air filters are checked every 20K to 30K miles and suggested to be replaced if light won't pass through. If wiper blades are torn or streak, I suggest replacing them.

Oil grades and tire pressures are usually done to factory specs unless the customer has a preference.

We do carry "snake oils" like Slick 50 but they are not "pushed" on customers, as is anything else. Many brought thier own so we now carry it. That wasn't my idea though..
wink.gif

We also have a service department so if repairs appear to be needed, such as a torn CV boot or tires or etc. We reccomend checking with the service department.

The bad part is that untrustworthy businesses tarnish the reputation for all. Very often a car needs several items but customers refuse an air filter and wipers because they are "overpriced" ($1 more than Wal-Mart). They don't want a drain plug because we're 'conning' them. It makes me disgusted sometimes.

But I wanted everyone to know that a quick lube isn't always a bad place to go. Keep in mind, we're car people too!
cool.gif

it's not just the quick lube places with problems. A friends brother in law just burned a 200000Km 95 saab motor. he was putting in synthetic every 5000km/s. they found sludge all over. the engine is SEIZED solid.

his mechanic told him he needs a new engine.

the dealer told him that 'saabs have to be tilted forward because the drain plug is too high'????

I told him the dealer is an idiot and your mechanic charged you for synthetic and put in bulk/recycled who knows what.

For me it is either the dealership or do it myself, and I don't really trust dealerships all that much. I have had too many bad experiences with fast lube places. At one place I had my oil changed (and I have never gone back there) they actually took some of the coins I had in a cup holder! Another place tried to steal my Mobil 1 and put conventional motor oil (of the wrong viscosity) into my engine instead. I caught them trying to do it.

In my opinion if you are going to have synthetic oil in your engine then change the oil yourself. How do you know a quick lube place will actually put synthetic oil in your vehicle engine? Think they will not try to cheat you? Maybe you better think again!

And then some will try to sell all sorts of unnecessary stuff. They tell you that your air filter is dirty and you know it is clean. They tell you that you need your engine flushed (I will put Auto-RX in myself thank you very much-keep your engine flushes or your expensive engine flushing machine).

And remember-professional mechanics do not work at fast lube places very often! Some of these guys think they are professional mechanics and really they barely know how to change oil. Some of them may recommend 10W-30 oil or even 10W-40 oil in your new vehicle-what does your owner's manual say? They may leave your drain plug loose or over tighten it. They may put your oil filter on too loose or too tight. Ever see some of these guys at tire shops try to impress somebody using an air tool to tighten lug nuts far beyond what the lug nuts are supposed to be tightened?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back