Quick Filter Comparison (with pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMC

I now have a small collection of oil filters that fit my truck so I thought I would do a quick comparison. These filters are for my 2011 Silverado 4.8l V8 but they also fit many newer GM engines as well. It doesn’t seem to be a very popular filter yet but is gaining as new the newer GM engines hit the market. I feel these are 3 pretty common choices in filters so hopefully other BITOGers might get something out of this, otherwise I guess it is just a waist of my time… LOL
Anyways, on to the filters. You should be able to see what these are from the pics but if you can’t, from left to right the AC Delco PF-48 ($3.69 at wal-mart), the Purolator classic 12222 (3.99 at advance auto) and the Napa gold 7060 ($5.99 at Napa but also available as the WIX 57060).
IMG_0011.jpg

First up, we look at the inlet holes, ADBV and bypass valve set up on the filters. The Delco has 6 large inlet holes, a pretty rough textured nitrile ADBV and a very cheap looking bypass valve set up. The bypass valve spring hold downs appear to be nothing but pieces of very thin sheet metal bent around the top of the spring and spot welded on the bottom of the can to hold them in place. Very flimsy and weak looking for sure, the spring even looks cocked off center.
IMG_0012.jpg

The Purolator classic has 8 medium sized oval shaped holes, a pretty nice looking nitrile ADBV and a decent looking bypass set up. The bypass spring hold down on this one looks like one big piece of sheet metal wrapped over the spring and spot welded to the bottom of the can. Better than the Delco but again, the spring looks cocked off center.
IMG_0013.jpg

The Napa gold has 8 medium round holes, a very nice silicone (note the orange color) ADBV and a nice bypass valve set up. The bypass spring hold down on this one looks like a much thicker, machine shaped piece that fits the spring tightly all the way around and is holding it nice and straight. It even has a pretty big hole in the top of it, I’m guess to help with oil flow.
IMG_0015.jpg

Next we take a look at the center tubes and flow holes inside the filters. The Delco has many small holes that are pretty close together and a straight walled tube that looks pretty thin.
IMG_0017.jpg

The Purolator has fewer medium holes that are kind of unevenly spaced. The center tube looks thick and strong and is of the “spiral” design.
IMG_0018.jpg

The Napa gold has many large inlet holes that are evenly spaced in a nice pattern. The center tube looks thick and strong and is of the ”spiral” design but seems to be a tighter spiral than the Purolator.
IMG_0020.jpg

So here are my overall impressions of these filters after this little comparison. The AC Delco filter had the cheapest looking components and construction. I really did not like the bypass valve spring hold downs and the thin looking center tube. All that being said, still not a bad filter and it should be smart to keep one of these on hand while my truck is still under warranty.
The Purolator was very impressive considering it only cost me 30 cents more than the AC Delco. I don’t have any complaints about this one other than maybe the inlet holes on the center tube. I don’t really understand why they just wouldn’t punch a few more holes and make them evenly spaced. If this filter media is as dense at some say it is, I could see why some people call these filters “restrictive”. I’m not really sure I would call it “restrictive” but larger inlet holes on the top of the filter and inside the center tube wouldn’t hurt. Anyways, A very good filter, especially for the low price.
The Napa gold appears to beat the other 2 filters in all areas. I really liked the center tube design and bypass valve set up. It looks like the filter would flow the oil very well and be very strong to hold up to hard driving conditions. I did my first oil change on my truck using this filter and I am glad I did. I am trying not to be biased here but I think the extra 2 dollars I paid for this filter are well worth it.
So there it is, my first attempt at doing a helpful comparison without cutting the filters. I would really like to get a Pureone and add it to this. Maybe I will cut these open after my OCI and see if I can’t draw more conclusions. I hope some of you find this helpful and I welcome your comments. Just take it easy on me, I am still a BITOG newby. Take care!

Is the AC Delco filter made by Champ Lab ?
I notices some Champ Lab filters use the coil spring BPV.

For the money I really like Purolator Classic oil filters.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
For the money I really like Purolator Classic oil filters.

+1

+2 on Purolator Classic. Great filter, made here in the USA. At $3.59 they are priced right. I keep my eyes open for sales on them at Kmart and AAP.

AC Delco PF-48 and Napa gold 7060 cross reference to Mann ML1030 and it is $2.52 on Rockauto and Mann is very much Purolator Classic clone. The problem with buying from Rockauto is shipping cost, you need to buy several filters in one order to reduce shipping cost per filter down to less than $1.

I know it's easy to make a visual comparison between filters like you have done, and this is a good write up.. but when you start to question the size of holes, number of holes etc.. you have to take into account how much time, design, testing, go back over, etc etc... surface area, size of holes, number of holes all of this will be used by the manufacture to dictate the flow rate they are looking for, and the many vises per say 8 med size holes verses 4 large size holes.. I'm sure they are drawbacks to each in some way when looking at flow, pressure etc.

Also the internal mesh screen the same applies here to the size, and number of holes, surface area in general, but then the variables of amount of holes verses size of holes etc etc..

The cocked off center bypass/spring etc.. the manufacture may have done this on purpose as forces applied in a direct force verses a force applied at an angle may have some advantages.. I have no idea if this is true, also it may have to do with the spring operating, and one way may be better at overall performance say the spring may hang up, or not as reliable at square verses an angle/offset

I'm sure a whole bunch of engineering goes into a filter, and I agree with the above I like the Purolator.. and blush I have put 15k on the regular purolator white cans before... never a problem.

I really appreciate the pics and comparisons you have just posted, I'm sure I can speak for most on this site that this is how we learn more. I am going to say that looking at the photo's only gives us a slight view on the operational values of these filters. I like the WIX design but a drawback to those is less filtering media due to the coil-spring valve in the can. I have cut them open and have been more pleased with the strength of the filtering media of WIX compared to Purolator Classic's. Does this mean anything scientifically? No; but for peace of mind yes. There is a give and take and I have and will continue to use both. I can't comment on the AC because I really haven't looked inside of one but they seem OK. Don't beat your brains out too much. Unless you have the $$ to do particle counts with a UOA then it's all a guess anyway.

"nice silicone (note the orange color) ADBV"

This was a change done within the past year or so. The last NAPA Gold 7060 I cut open sill had a black nitrile ABDV.

Originally Posted By: AMC

The Purolator classic has 8 medium sized oval shaped holes, a pretty nice looking nitrile ADBV and a decent looking bypass set up. The bypass spring hold down on this one looks like one big piece of sheet metal wrapped over the spring and spot welded to the bottom of the can. Better than the Delco but again, the spring looks cocked off center.

Checkout this thread for some photos showing the guts of the coil spring bypass valve on the Purolators.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=140811&Number=2042807

Just some random thoughts. Isn't the standard PF-48 now an ecore? I'm sure many folks wish that all Delcos were still made the classic way as shown in the pic. Afaik, most are now ecore, though Delco brought back the classic design due to customer disatisfaction with ecore design. The classic Delco is worth $3.69, if you can find it.

As for the silicone adbv on the Napa Gold, apples to apples would be a comparison with a Pure One for less cost at Advance ($5) even without an online code making them ~$3.00. As mentioned and shown here previously, NG is a fine filter, but the thread end bypass takes up much of the media space in dome end filters. On Bill's Subie pics it's a significant difference.

As for appearance of the cocked spring. ZeeOSix posted a cut open close up (posted above), looked fine. All one can see from looking down centertube is metal covering the coil spring. Hole size is engineered by each manufacturer, and appearance wouldn't tell of increased/decreased flow, IMO. All of those filters look fine in that respect to me. Granted the Puro filters aren't the thickest cans/base, but for PC applications, they seem to work just fine.

Thanks for the pics.

Originally Posted By: sayjac

As for appearance of the cocked spring. ZeeOSix posted a cut open close up (posted above), looked fine. All one can see from looking down centertube is metal covering the coil spring.

Yeah, the coil spring can be moved around slightly in the metal shroud that holds it in place, but there is no way it can come out of the shroud. Any movement of the coil spring should not change it's functionality.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
OK. Don't beat your brains out too much. Unless you have the $$ to do particle counts with a UOA then it's all a guess anyway.

Wow thanks for all the replies guys! I will try to respond to most of the replies below this paragraph but the above quote is what we need to keep in mind
crazy2.gif
. My observations are just basic ones made without cutting open the filter so I am not going to bother trying to get scientific. My intentions for the original post were just to show a basic filter comparison and try to contribute to BITOG a little bit, MAYBE even show some of the less knowledgeable guys here what to look at in an oil filter so they can make a slightly more informed purchase while at the auto parts store.
Some people will like the combination of low price and good features of the Purolator classic and choose that filter. Some will like the features and price of the Napa/Wix and choose that one ETC. I still don't think that is an argument worth having, just use what you like!
Now to answer some of the questions, I don't know if the AC Delco filter I have is made by AC Delco or Champ labs. I got it from wal-mart a few weeks ago so I assume it is new stock but the box does say GM Corp, detroit MI 1995. It could be old or just an old box, I have heard others say that is particular filter is NOT an ecore even on the new ones.
Where's the frams? I already know I don't like those filters and can tell you now it will be at the bottom of this list if it was in there...lol
One thing I forgot to mention, I don't think the media is much shorter on the Napa Gold because the filter is 3/8" longer overall and I can see the media through the holes, it looks just as long as the other two, maybe a even a little longer than the AC Delco. The Napa gold also has about 2mm more threads than the other two filters and it is also the heaviest overall of the bunch, if that means anything.
As for the crooked springs, look closely at the pic of the purolator and delco I am holding. You can see much more of the spring sticking out the right side than the left on the purolator and the tabs holding the spring on the Delco look like they are starting to come up/ be unbent and let go
shocked.gif
. It just doesn't look very nice and I know it would be a rare event but it does makes me wonder what would stop the purolator DBV design from slipping out from under the piece holding it? Especially when it has oil flowing through it (making it slippery) and it is under pressure. The Purolator Pureone has the same DBV setup so going more expensive with purolator doesn't solve that issue. Zee-o-six's pic doesn't show if the spring in that one was centered in the hold down.
confused2.gif

Thanks again for the replies and keep them coming
thumbsup2.gif

Quote:
Just doesn't look very nice and I know it would be a rare event but it does makes me wonder what would stop the purolator DBV design from slipping out from under the piece holding it? Especially when it has oil flowing through it (making it slippery) and it is under pressure. The Purolator Pureone has the same DBV setup so going more expensive with purolator doesn't solve that issue."

Not sure I know what you're saying with "DBV design? Never seen that acronym used for a bypass, either dome end or thread end. You also assume an issue on the Classic and therefore being the same on the P1. Having used and dissected many Classics and P1's I've never had any issue or the issue with the bypass. I currently have a dissected filter with the same bypass design from an L14459 I recently cut open. The coil spring bypads functions perfectly, inside the metal frame. Also, not all Purolators use the coil spring design bypass.

Without cutting open all the filters one cannot compare media area/size by the outside length or width of the filter. This has been shown here recently with a comparison of the smaller Puro 14610 vs the larger 14459, the former having more area.

And as this clearly thread shows, the Wix thread end bypass can take up a significant amount of space. Exterior shots prove little about the media.

Now, if you just prefer the Wix overall design, as your sig suggests, that's perfectly fine. As for conclusions reached about the other two filters costing less, not so much. fwiw, I'd have no issue using either of the other two filters.

If 'you' are interested in filter analysis beyond exterior pics and/or dissection, river_rat did what I consider to be best comparison of filters I've seen here. This is the complete thread http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1616368 and here is his separate summary of his work. http://filtrationcomparisons.weebly.com/
thumbsup2.gif
Enjoy.

Sayjac, Hey thanks for clearing that up. I meant to say "BPV" not "DBV" and where the heck did the edit post button go?, I can't find it all the sudden lol.
Did any of your purolator's BPV springs look as off center under the hold down as the one in the pic did? I am thinking this is just this an issue with the particular one I used in the pics. Either way, I think it is just a small fit and finish issue with the purolators that use this type BPV. Although it may not cause any real problems, I still don't like it because I think it could be better.
Don't take any of this the wrong way, I am not brand myopic or absolute about almost anything, including oil filters. I kinda figured my sig would come up eventually
33.gif
Those are just what I am running right now!
I did read that write up and thought it was pretty good, I wish it could be compacted/shortened some how though lol

chubbs1 said:
You can see much more of the spring sticking out the right side than the left on the purolator and the tabs holding the spring on the Delco look like they are starting to come up/ be unbent and let go
shocked.gif
. It just doesn't look very nice and I know it would be a rare event but it does makes me wonder what would stop the purolator DBV design from slipping out from under the piece holding it? Especially when it has oil flowing through it (making it slippery) and it is under pressure. The Purolator Pureone has the same DBV setup so going more expensive with purolator doesn't solve that issue. Zee-o-six's pic doesn't show if the spring in that one was centered in the hold down.
confused2.gif

If you look closely at the photo below you can see the shroud around the spring is curved on the edges to capture the spring. it can not slip out of the shroud.

DSCF6063-a.jpg

Sayjac, Hey thanks for clearing that up. I meant to say "BPV" not "DBV" and where the heck did the edit post button go?, I can't find it all the sudden lol.

You only have a short time to edit your posts ... after the time is up, the Edit button disappears.
cry.gif

Zee, Thanks! That was exactly what I was looking for and you didn't sound condescending about it.
I looked a little closer at the puro I have here and the hold down on mine does not look as nicely fitted as yours is in that pic but I can see now that the edges of it are just tight enough to not let the spring slip out.
BTW- is "shroud" the correct term for what I keep calling the "hold down"? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back