Questions on synthetic ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to put synthetic ATF in my 2002 GMC truck, either Mobil 1 or Amsoil, but I have had some doubts recently after reading some post about syn atf causing problems, can the experts please comment on this? I tow a trailer with my truck and we are coming into the summer monthes so this is the time I would like to make the change, should I spend the extra money on synthetic or stick with regular D3 atf ?

For sure use synthetic ATF.

Not sure where you read about synthetic ATF "causing problems", but perhaps you got a bit confused on some of the discussions about universal ATF being applied to Mercon and Chrysler applications.

I can assure you that there have been no such discussion involving GM, Dexron, or your rig in particular.

Thanks for the reply, the problem post I mentioned had to do with trannys slipping after using syn atf and one was a GM truck, I can go back and try to find it, I know synthetics are superior products, I use M1 in the engine, I just wanted some more info on ATF.

quote:

I tried Mobil 1 ATF in the 4L60E in my 98 ext-cab Z71 and the tranny started slipping after awhile. I switched back to regular Dextron III and the problem went away. I don't know if the fluid caused it or it was a coincidence, but I won't run a synthetic tranny fluid again.

That was from one post that caught my attention, I know this was just one person and I would like to hear from others.

I had missed that thread. Never heard of such a thing in a GM with Amsoil, I do remember reading a similar post by NHkid (name?) with Mobil1, but he use a bottle of Lubegard Red. It seems he was asked to "re-teach" his ECU....don't know the outcome. Yes - it will be interesting hear what the other folks have to say and maybe Nhkid...

Bartman,
To be rated Dexron, a fluid has to meet certain parameters. A synthetic cannot slip more than a dino and vice versa. To be labeled Dexron it has to meet these specs.
Mobil I, Amsoil, Schaeffer's semi syn. Take your pick, any of the three will exceed your requirements and provide excellent service.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
...I do remember reading a similar post by NHkid (name?) with Mobil1, but he use a bottle of Lubegard Red...

Would you or anyone expand on that? My understanding from reading at Lubegard's site is that Lubegard "Red" is not friction modified, but, rather, promotes fluid stability through the application of liquid wax esters - much as sperm whale oil did in ATFs prior to the whaling ban. (Lubegard "Black" is an entirely different story, though, since it is highly friction modified.) Why would Lubegard Red and M1 ATF be a problem in a GM application?

Has anyone used Redline ATF ? there is another post on this site claiming it's made from group V base stock and meets Dexron IV specs, could anyone comment on the potential benefits of this or would the M1 or Amsoil work just as good ? like all Redline products it isn't cheap, thanks.

There isn't a Dexron IV spec...yet. Redline is anticipating what the final spec will be, if there ever is one.

Redline is excellent, but for the money, I'd go Mobil 1 or Schaeffer #204S.

Ken

I put M1 synthetic ATF in my Vette and it works excellent....other than that, I would also use Redline D4.......I think both are excellent choices.......I also believe that people who have problems with synthetic ATF have latent tranny problems and it is not the ATF causing the tranny to act up........

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
Here the link......

Yeah, I know - it was my own post.
grin.gif
But on reflection I still wonder why a non-HFM stability enhancing supplement would cause clutch slippage regardless of the base stock used in a Dexron III qualified ATM. Or is Mobil 1 ATF really Dexron III qualified?

I changed the ATF in my 1996 Corvette from the original Dexron factory fill (24,000 miles) to Mobil 1 synthetic ATF and am very happy with the result. The M1 made the shifts smoother, yet they still remain firm and the tranny temp is a solid 10 degrees F lower than with the original Dexron. Despite some people having conecerns with M1 ATF, I do believe it is an excellent product.

quote:

Would you or anyone expand on that? My understanding from reading at Lubegard's site is that Lubegard "Red" is not friction modified, but, rather, promotes fluid stability through the application of liquid wax esters - much as sperm whale oil did in ATFs prior to the whaling ban. (Lubegard "Black" is an entirely different story, though, since it is highly friction modified.) Why would Lubegard Red and M1 ATF be a problem in a GM application?

Liquid esters ARE friction modifiers. They do promote thermal stability, but main purpose is for friction reduction and additive miscibility.

Different Lubegurds simply have different treatment levels of combined esters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back