Question regarding Dialysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have failing kidneys, at this point not quite bad enough for dialysis but getting there. Wondering what are the thoughts of anyone here who is on dialysis or has any experience with it.

Its not like I'm young, I'm 72 with other problems. So lets hear from you'al out their.

Sorry to hear. The 86 yr old owner of my company had to go on dialysis last summer 3X/week. The good news is it's keeping him alive. The bad news is dialysis days are totally consumed by the whole procedure and after effects. Pray it works easier for you when you need it.

I know a fellow at church who's been on dialysis for many years now. He's about your age, goes 3x a week for several hours each time, so it takes a lot of time... on the other hand he still volunteers on various projects, serves as a deacon, and basically just doesn't let it drive him down. So I think a large part of the result is in how you approach it. Given that you're borderline and the guy I know is fully dependent on dialysis, I would guess that it might be less of a time sink for you, so I would get all the facts and approach it with the most positive attitude possible. If you focus on all the things you could be doing other than dialysis, it will drag you down a lot worse than thinking about the things that dialysis ALLOWS you to do.

My grandpa was on dialysis for 8-9 years, he was always real tired on those days afterwards but still pushed himself to keep busy. It was 3x a week, 4 hours each time. There are some at-home dialysis stuff you can do, they were trying to set him up with it but his body rejected the port for some reason. It was to be on the left side of his body near his waist line, you plug in at night and it does dialysis all night. Kind of like plugging in an electric car!

I was on it for 3 years fighting cancer. Start learning about nutrition and get after it right away. If you smoke or drink, stop right now. Stay active and busy, mentally and physically. Your digestive system is your immune system. You can't survive for long on dialysis eating junk food, fake food, prepared food, altered food and poison corn sugars. Get back to basics and get exercise as if your life depends on it, because it does.

Learn about medications your doctor prescribes and try your hardest to solve the underlying problem and get off those medications if you can. We live in the information age. Take advantage of that. It's not always possible but it's worth the effort to try. You might be surprised or even shocked at what you learn.

You have to get involved in becoming and staying healthy. Expending the effort pays dividends that can be obtained in no other way. Don't give this responsibility to anyone but yourself. The system does not have your best interests at heart. Otherwise you're going to end up in diapers, laying in bed asking if it's Wednesday because that's the day they serve your favorite lime jello and turn the TV channel to the Judge Judy Show without the sound because the staff hopes you'll fall asleep with the calming medication you've been given without explanation and then not bother them because your family no longer visits you and they've got better things to do then pay attention to you and you petty questions and problems. (how's that for a nun on sentence?)

Originally Posted By: jcwit
I have failing kidneys, at this point not quite bad enough for dialysis but getting there. Wondering what are the thoughts of anyone here who is on dialysis or has any experience with it.

Its not like I'm young, I'm 72 with other problems. So lets hear from you'al out their.

Prayers coming your way...

My Dad held out until he collapsed one day. My sister is a veterinarian, she told him about a medicine that is used for dogs that have partial kidney failure. He was able to get a nephrologist at a privately owned hospital to prescribe it. One injection per month along with a blood analysis that will be used to determine next month's dosage. Much, much more pleasant than dialysis, and my Dad stayed happy and active.

The shots kept him going for 2 more years, then he collapsed again. He has been going to dialysis now 3 times a week for the last 4 years.

I really think the shots added 2 more meaningful years to his life, I am appreciative that the doctor was able to do it for him.

It will be hard to find someone to prescribe and administer the shots, there's no money in it for them. My Mom mentioned once that the dialysis clinic charges Medicare $70,000 per month.

Much to know, but to put it simply you are going to give up a lot if you want to continue to live comfortably and prevent further damage. The fluid restriction get most every one. It is terrible on your hear, contributing to CHF. A can of worms in it self. Your diet will be limited to eggs and steak. Not really but those will be your prime options..unless you are a diabetic, then yeah.
If you need any questions answered shoot me a pm. As I am the human oil changer.

I managed multiple dialysis clinics twenty years ago. What the others have said is spot on. If you are diligent and follow your dietary guidelines you will be much better off. I don't know if you qualify for peritoneal (home) dialysis, but you might if you have someone at home available to help you. The biggest risk with that method is peritonitis, a very painful and seriious abdominal infection.

I'm sure the technology has improved since the 1990's, too. I have seen quite the spectrum of patients. Some do really well. Some are merely kept breathing. My thoughts are with you.

You can continue to operate normally on 10% function in ONE kidney. Follow the dietary restrictions to the letter and take your meds as directed. If you have any questions about behind the scenes ops at the clinics feel free to PM me.

Thanks for the replys so far.

As far as the cost goes that is no problem, I'm fully covered by the VA.

I'm not really happy with taking dialysis, I survived Polio in my early teens, which now is causing muscle and joint problems along with acute arthritis in my legs and hips, I wear a knee brace now to walk.

I'm also a cancer survivor, 15 years now. And am going in for biopsy on some skin areas.

One replyed to stop smoking or drinking. Haven't drank in years, other than a glass of red wine before bed. Haven't smoked in years either, have missed my pipe for 20 or 30 years, finally decided because of all this, ain't gonna miss it any longer!

As far as diet, I do real good at that, bigest problem is finding anything that is free of sodium.

Just FYI, dialysis is one of those oddities in the healthcare finance world that is paid for by Medicare for persons of ANY age. There's a weird stipulation that you have to be receiving treatment for three months first, but after that Medicare kicks in. This is due to the End Stage Renal Disease Act of 1972.

In 1995, Medicare paid $7 billion for dialysis treatments. I can only imagine what that number is now.

And as I said, I'm FULLY covered thru the VA.

Gotcha. I just wanted to mention something about dialysis that I doubt many know. I worked for the two largest providers of outpatient dialysis. Most of the clinics you'll find are in strip shopping centers. About all you need is electricity and a water supply (and money). I managed medical supplies for a group of docs in Dallas who opened twelve clinics in six months back in 1994.

A good friend of mine's son has kidney probelms, has rejected his mother's kidney,and has a machine at home, at this moment he is shifting from the city to a remote location, so he must be happy about doing it. One of the original owners of the company where I work used to go into work, and then up to the other branch in the city, dialysis machine in the car, every day.

You can have my perfect kidneys - I'm about ready to get off this planet.

There's only one requirement: no more shopping at Harbor Freight.

My father was on dialysis for years. The kidney failure started because was diabetic and non-compliant with blood sugar issues. Eventually his kidneys failed and he needed dialysis. It knocked him out, cold. Additionally, he suffered from all sorts of port related issues. He'd have a port installed, and it would get infected rapidly. The docs tried to make a few "shunts" where they could insert the dialysis needles. That was a battle in itself, with multiple failures, and excessive pain.

Dad would complain that the staff in the dialysis center was rude and incompetent, and that some patients would "disappear" . He'd later learn that they skipped a session and died.

Dad had quite a battle with the entire situation. He'd get the flu and be utterly unable to make it there. Or his driver would not show up. Then they would refuse to take him the next day and they were closed on the weekend. Leading to many close calls and hospitalizations.

Eventually, dad's health deteriorated and he chose to avoid Friday dialysis, choosing instead to be with his close friend, knowing there was zero chance of weekend help. He died on Sunday.

From my non-medical point of view, it's to be avoided as long as possible. There are also other options that may provide better results.

Dad was not a candidate for transplant due to his non-compliance with doctors orders and poor control of blood sugar.

My mother's new husband recently had a kidney transplant and he is still able to work! He goes hiking, swimming, and bicycling. He does have to be careful of germs, and does get sick. But good-god, he is doing far better than my father did on dialysis.

Also, it's my opinion that had my father been a far more compliant patient, his dialysis experience would have been far better and his life more full.

One example, he could have gone in the evening. Then gone home to sleep. Instead, he went in the AM, and suffered all day. He had 4 good days per week (non dialysis days)

I wish you the very best and I hope that my thoughts on the subject are not too depressing.

Last edited:
I wanted to add that my father was able to improve his kidney function a bit with high doses of CO-Q10 and hour long exercise.

It did not solve any problems, but it did delay dialysis some. As he was able to eliminate a good bit of water via exercise. That too, was against doctors orders.

He lived for 4 years on dialysis.

I'm sure you will do your research on keeping your existing system functional as long as possible. "THE BENEFITS OF ARGININE AND EXERCISE ARE ADDITIVE" One interesting thing is nitric oxide: http://www.life-enhancement.com/magazine/article/124-arginine-keeps-kidneys-in-the-pink

I use "Amino Energy" and it helps my poor kidney function quite a bit!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back