Question on Detailing Technique

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick question and I know is dependent on what product one is using...how long do you let a wax / polish / polymer sit on the surface before buffing/wipe off? I witnessed a professional let his product stay on surface for a good 45+ minutes before wipe off? Makes me think I am doing things wrong myself.

Best,

Originally Posted By: mbacfp
Quick question and I know is dependent on what product one is using...how long do you let a wax / polish / polymer sit on the surface before buffing/wipe off? I witnessed a professional let his product stay on surface for a good 45+ minutes before wipe off? Makes me think I am doing things wrong myself.

Best,

You said it yourself, it depends on the product being used. Some work better being wiped off almost immediately, while others produce better results leaving them on for an extended period of time. The products usually tell you, in the directions, the optimal procedure for achieving the best results.

Last edited:
I lay down a first coat and let it rest for 30 minutes, then lay down a second coat without removing the first.

Then I leave it on overnight.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I lay down a first coat and let it rest for 30 minutes, then lay down a second coat without removing the first.

Then I leave it on overnight.

Depending what product you use and if you are going by hand this could make things very difficult to remove.

Typically most products say apply one section at a time until it hazes..that depends on alot of factors.

Thanks to all. Exactly, is it better to remove after it hazes in 5 minutes or let it haze for 30 minutes? I am still a newbie at advanced detailing.

I wax my vehicles starting on the top and then work my way front to back, take a break with a cold beer then start wiping, starting from the top and then front to rear, never any problems removing the wax
cheers3.gif

So intentionally letting the wax or polymer haze for longer doesn't necessarily translate into a "better" result (obviously unless the product has specific instructions on application and time)? I guess what I am asking is...does a longer haze time result in a better coat on the paint?

The Collinite people specifically warn against leaving it on too long. I forget the wording, but they don't even want you to do it panel by panel. ( Although that's what I do).

I can see waiting an extra few minutes just to be sure but I wouldn't go beyond that.

The Collinite people specifically warn against leaving it on too long. I forget the wording, but they don't even want you to do it panel by panel. ( Although that's what I do).

I can see waiting an extra few minutes just to be sure but I wouldn't go beyond that.

Last edited:
Wash the car and tires. Dry the car thoroughly (let ties air dry). Apply wax. Detail tires and wash windows. Wipe down the interior with detailing spray (optional). Wipe off wax. It's roughly a half hour to 45 minutes between when I finish applying the wax and begin to wipe it off.

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
if you can remove it with the swipe of your finger you can remove it.

That's what I do to tell if it's ready. Temp, humidity, and a few other facts influence how quickly the product is ready to buff off. The finger test is pretty much fool proof.

Originally Posted By: Malo83
I wax my vehicles starting on the top and then work my way front to back, take a break with a cold beer then start wiping, starting from the top and then front to rear, never any problems removing the wax
cheers3.gif

There's the answer. However long it takes to down a cold beer!

With most polymer sealants (Wolfgang, Jetseal, etc) it's more important to not get the paint wet for about 12 hours after you wipe it off so the polymers have time to "cure".

Most polymer sealants want you to let them haze and any additional time on the paint won't make them shine any better or last longer. Just read the directions. When I use wolfgang deep gloss paint sealant I leave it on about 10 minutes (what the bottle says) and then I wipe it off and get a solid 3-4 months out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back