Question for Those Who Quit Smoking

Originally Posted by methusaleh
I had an odd social situation once. I know a young lady who is a perfect catch as they say, absolutely gorgeous, well-educated, and hard-working...except (in my opinion) she smokes like a chimney. One honestly can smell her from about 20 feet away. Her family was oh so very proud of her "working on quitting smoking" when she went from some ridiculously high amount to a lower amount that, to me, still seemed crazy. I believe it was four packs a day down to two packs a day. To hear what she and her family said, she was now a glowing example of perfect health and sanity. To me she still reeked of smoke and seemed to love to smoke almost constantly as she always had. She didn't even do it for health reasons, it was because it was interfering with a new job she had as well as costing a fortune, but she played it off like it was going to make her tremendously more healthy. I didn't know quite how to respond to all of this so I just told her "keep up the good work" and left it at that.

Positive reinforcement is never a bad thing. If she ends up living instead of dying, will it matter what the motivation was?

Quitting is rough. Positive reinforcement for halving her intake can lead to greater reductions and elimination. Those who have social support tend to do better.

Quitting is also a mind game you play against yourself. If she has to tell herself things (even if dubious in accuracy) to get off the smokes, then so be it. That's how quitting works. If you find out that calling yourself The Great Swami, tapping the floor three times, and then hugging a Teddy Bear helps you quit, you just do it.

Compared to dropping dead of cancer, pretty much everything seems significantly less stupid.

I quit quite a while ago and I was 1/2-1 pack a day. I did just sheer willpower cold turkey. I allowed myself to have the junk at first and then slowly weened off that crutch. Haven't gone back.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
I don't smoke but I know someone who does and is trying to quit. They were about a pack a day smoker, and quit approximately 4 weeks ago as their Lent give-up (no religion intended, just qualifying their start time). They have thing called a "quit kit" with a little puffer that administers a bit of nicotine that they can hit a few times a day to ease the cravings, their got it from their MD actually a long time ago but only are utilizing it now.

They are struggling with cigarette cravings, and are resorting to binge snacking as a compensation, with sweet snacks such as candy being preferred. My question is this for those who have quit: What are some strategies I can give them to curb the junk food cravings and do the nicotine cravings eventually ease off?

I started smoking in 1984 when I joined the ARMY (after basic training).
On Thanksgiving Eve 1997 I was working as the pipefitter/welder supervisor on the Moffitt Cancer Center hospital (Tampa, FL.) my company was working on. We were R&R their CEP (Central Energy Plant). The hospital maintenance man asked if I could look at a leaking VAV coil (still under the 1 year warranty) above the nurses station on the 4th floor ICU ward. I brought a pipefitter apprentice with me to check it out. When we got up there, what we saw was HORRIFIC! I won't go into detail, but it was BAD! I knew that if I continued smoking that I could possibly be just like one of these patients. And, I didn't want that! From that day until now, I have NEVER touched another cigarette! If you want your friend to quit smoking right away, take him/her to a cancer hospital! I guarantee you, they will get the FEAR OF GOD put into them right away!

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
I don't smoke but I know someone who does and is trying to quit. They were about a pack a day smoker, and quit approximately 4 weeks ago as their Lent give-up (no religion intended, just qualifying their start time). They have thing called a "quit kit" with a little puffer that administers a bit of nicotine that they can hit a few times a day to ease the cravings, their got it from their MD actually a long time ago but only are utilizing it now.

They are struggling with cigarette cravings, and are resorting to binge snacking as a compensation, with sweet snacks such as candy being preferred. My question is this for those who have quit: What are some strategies I can give them to curb the junk food cravings and do the nicotine cravings eventually ease off?

On Thanksgiving Eve 1997 I was working as the pipefitter/welder supervisor on the Moffitt Cancer Center hospital (Tampa, FL.) my company was working on. We were R&R their CEP (Central Energy Plant). The hospital maintenance man asked if I could look at a leaking VAV coil (still under the 1 year warranty) above the nurses station on the 4th floor ICU ward. I brought a pipefitter apprentice with me to check it out. When we got up there, what we saw was HORRIFIC! I won't go into detail, but it was BAD! I knew that if I continued smoking that I could possibly be just like one of these patients. And, I didn't want that! From that day until now, I have NEVER touched another cigarette! If you want your friend to quit smoking right away, take him/her to a cancer hospital! I guarantee you, they will get the FEAR OF GOD put into them right away!

They tried to put pictures on cigarette packs, but they fought hard to have them removed. It was getting the message across.

My hatred for that first cigarette in the morning grew & grew. Keep telling yourself all the reasons lllllike coughing, smell on your breath, amount of money spent per week, time loss for cigarette breaks......etc.....etc.

I did not know when I put out my cigsrette butt - that it would be my last ever. I quit between cigarette breaks and I dealt with the withdrawls, which lasted about two years.

Eliminate food and drink triggers and quitting gets much easier. If it means giving up coffee and beer for two years, do it.

Originally Posted by BossMoss

They tried to put pictures on cigarette packs, but they fought hard to have them removed. It was getting the message across.

They have the pictures on the packages in Canada and Europe. I seem them at the duty free shops in the airports. Yikes.

Originally Posted by Leo99
Originally Posted by BossMoss

They have the pictures on the packages in Canada and Europe. I seem them at the duty free shops in the airports. Yikes.

I have never seen the pics y'all are talking about. I'm sure they're not too pretty.
Today, even when a commercial about a smoker comes on TV, I have to either mute the TV and look away, or switch the channel immediately! What I saw that day still haunts me to this day.

Back