Question for Those Who Quit Smoking

I heard a Dr on a TV show state that after quiting the average person packs on 10 lbs.from a new found desire of food. Smell and taste buds improve in sensitivity.
He said the smoking is far more harmful than 10 extra lbs.

Last edited:
My son was born in 1973, Quit cold turkey at that time.

I smoked from age 18 till about 43 so I have some experience. #1, he needs to stop the nicotine he is taking in ASAP. It just prolongs the agony of the cravings longer and eventually most will cave and re-start. Cold turkey is the way to go, it take about 4 weeks for the heavy cravings to go away and about 6 months for them to almost be completely gone.

Yeah he is substituting pretty much anything right now. So what. Gain a few pounds then address that later. Toothpicks are a great idea. The first month I quit....I also quit drinking and slept a lot as I knew I could not be outside away from the wife. I always pictured the addiction as I am running slightly faster than the nicotine that is chasing me....each day I am a bit further. Been 16 years now, never even think about it now.

Cut him some slack....it's to be expected he will over-eat right now. It's just temporary. But he has to completely let go of the drug. As long as he is vaping....he's not breaking the addiction.

Of note, I had a friend, quit the same time I did. He chewed the gum.....still doing it 16 years later and still slips up here and there. He never broke the addiction. Says he would start back up in a heartbeat. HE HAS TO BREAK THE ADDICTION.....

Last edited:
I find it amazing that the FDA has not banned nicotine. It's a drug sprayed on Tobacco whose sole purpose is to hook people on smoking or chewing tobacco. Now we can add vaping as well

I smoked for over 30 years, a pack then was 25 cents, I was young and stupid. Smoking back then was the thing to do, so I did. Over the years prices went up, when they reached $1 per pack, I had to reconsider the habit. They were not tasting as good as before so I said this is foolish. I made a plan of when I would quit and followed through with it. That day came, I had half a pack left, I placed them on a shelf with matches, it has been 28 years ago, that half pack is still there on the shelf (deteriorated but there). I never touched another when I quit 28 years ago but here is a funny, about 2 years ago I was going out to my shop to do something and as I got out the door I reached in my pocket for a cigarette, just crazy!!
33.gif

Have him stick with the junk food until the cravings go away, it may take a good long while for that to happen.

After he is off the smokes, he can then decide to ease off of the junk food. Junk food is the lessor of two evils.

What you have to do is suffer through it. The nicotine supplement means they are breaking the smoking "habit" but not the addiction to nicotine.

Eating the high carb junk food to get the serotonin rush, also just delays their progress, but do eat enough protein because you'll want the dopamine. It's funny how some people think the opposite is true because it does temporarily decrease the craving but that's because it delays the change in brain chemistry needed to STOP getting the cravings.

They have to make a line in the sand and when the craving comes, do not take the nicotine, do not eat the junk food. Also eat low carb meals unless drenched in so much fat that the carbs are slowly absorbed.

It can help to avoid activities that are triggers where a cigarette is most highly desired. For example after sex, being around stressful people, or drinking alcohol or large amounts of caffeine (or methylxanthines, hidden stimulants coming from non-caffeinated coffee/tea/etc), certain medications including OTC.

Do not overthink it like it's some huge challenge that will be hard, just set aside a couple days to bear through the cravings where you can vegetate, but still have an activity that keeps you preoccupied, not just sitting around thinking about it. I'm not implying the cravings will only last a couple days but that is by far the worst part over with if you stop substituting the nicotine and the carbs. If you stay active your metabolism will increase and make it go by faster.

Last edited:
I had an odd social situation once. I know a young lady who is a perfect catch as they say, absolutely gorgeous, well-educated, and hard-working...except (in my opinion) she smokes like a chimney. One honestly can smell her from about 20 feet away. Her family was oh so very proud of her "working on quitting smoking" when she went from some ridiculously high amount to a lower amount that, to me, still seemed crazy. I believe it was four packs a day down to two packs a day. To hear what she and her family said, she was now a glowing example of perfect health and sanity. To me she still reeked of smoke and seemed to love to smoke almost constantly as she always had. She didn't even do it for health reasons, it was because it was interfering with a new job she had as well as costing a fortune, but she played it off like it was going to make her tremendously more healthy. I didn't know quite how to respond to all of this so I just told her "keep up the good work" and left it at that.

^ You come off as being excessively judgemental. Some people live fast and die hard. I could make arguments for and against that lifestyle but ultimately it is the choice of the individual.

I wonder though, are you judging her too harshly because she just didn't reciprocate interest when you assume she would, because you assumed she was at a lower mental state because she smoked?

You obviously don't have a high mental state if you can't stick to facts like embellishing "one honestly can smell her from about 20 feet away".

Intelligent people seek accuracy and truth. Granted, she wasn't all that intelligent either if being a model meant smoking excessively to curb food cravings, and it's hard to imagine even smoking 4 packs a day, that is more like someone who always has a cigarette burning but isn't actively smoking it. This happens. People start smoking fewer cigarettes but inhale more of each one instead of having them burning as if they're incense.

At any rate, you don't need to know how to respond to it. A generic "good" is better than being socially offensive. You can't change someone's behavior by trying to shame them, it will onlyl make you one of those stressful people that are a trigger for more smoking.

I'm just calling it like I see it, that this woman was not right for you, different life choices, different attitude about life, pick someone who shares the same values... been there, more times than I can count.

One thing though, you are not obligated to socialize with stinky people (lol). If you are happier somewhere else, be somewhere else.

The vaping craze is so wrong on so many levels. Saw a two page add
in the recent issue of Wired magazine for Juul with the oversize warning that will appeal to adolescents due to it`s I`m a bad a-- image.

Originally Posted by Dinoburner
in the recent issue of Wired magazine for Juul with the oversize warning that will appeal to adolescents due to it`s I`m a bad a-- image.

Always funny when driving down the road and I see a car in front of me with tons of smoke coming out the side window like the interior caught on fire. But it was just a super vaporer doing their thing.

while I don't condone vaping, it is definitely WAY less harmful to ones health. WAY LESS.

Originally Posted by philipp10

while I don't condone vaping, it is definitely WAY less harmful to ones health. WAY LESS.

It's not definitely less harmful it has not been around long enough. At one time Doctors recommended children take a few puffs to treat a sore throat.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by philipp10

It's not definitely less harmful it has not been around long enough. At one time Doctors recommended children take a few puffs to treat a sore throat.

There are some studies that show it is a harmful habit.

Nicotine chewing gum worked for me when I quit 15 years ago. Used it for a couple of months and then switched to regular gum.

Never had a problem with candy/junk food. Never been a snacker.

I gave up alcohol and a couple of other things at the same time and exercise (specifically running, riding road and mountain bikes, and dirt bikes) took the place of that party lifestyle.

When you're in a habit, they say you need to change the people you hung out with, the places you went, and the things you did, in order to be successful.

Gotta substitute healthy things for the unhealthy stuff you used to do.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
I don't smoke but I know someone who does and is trying to quit. They were about a pack a day smoker, and quit approximately 4 weeks ago as their Lent give-up (no religion intended, just qualifying their start time). They have thing called a "quit kit" with a little puffer that administers a bit of nicotine that they can hit a few times a day to ease the cravings, their got it from their MD actually a long time ago but only are utilizing it now.

They are struggling with cigarette cravings, and are resorting to binge snacking as a compensation, with sweet snacks such as candy being preferred. My question is this for those who have quit: What are some strategies I can give them to curb the junk food cravings and do the nicotine cravings eventually ease off?

I quit 20 years ago and still have cravings.

Nicotine is NOT sprayed on, it occurs naturally in the tobacco leaf. Now, cig manufacturers do spray a wide arrangement of things onto the leaf prior to cutting, but not nicotine. Nicotine is NOT a carcinogen by itself, but when combined with all the other stuff that's added to it and then burned and then inhaled, that's where the problems start. I smoked for about 30 years. Then on top of that, played drums in numerous clubs back in the 80's and 90's, that were pretty much all smoked filled. Like others, my grandfather and dad both smoked. Something just told me it was time to quit. So I did, with the help of vaping. Started out with nicotine in the vape and then just got off of it. Switching to vaping was amazing. After about 3 months, could smell things again and I could pick a smoker out 100 yards away. I got the dreaded "quit smoking hack" that is basically my airways to the lungs trying to get that junk out and the cilia started working again. From my research on vaping, the main problem with that is just the liquid and where it's made. But, vaping does have its merits and can help smokers eventually quit the habit instead of going cold turkey. But the key here is, having the desire to quit totally.

I don't know who on the planet Earth would think that someone was a "bad ___" for vaping, but OK.

Vaping is no different from eating. If you don't know and don't find out what's inside what you are consuming, you may be consuming something that can cause you health problems. There are plenty of vape fluid options that are made and verified to have no harmful chemicals in them. No different from the research we all do into motor oil content on a daily basis.

On topic: Oral fixation and "filling the gap" (boredom and other smoking situations) are big problems too. My solution? Vape, and then chopsticks. I would go cold turkey for maybe 18 hours and then when my craving was at it's maximum I would vape like a freight train and then go cold for another 18 hours. This was to train my brain to fall back onto vape. If I was going to "slide", I didn't want it to be to cigarettes.

I would break chopsticks in half and chew on them during fake "smoking" events or when I was bored to deal with the oral fix (like an old farmer with a shoot of wheat or a 1950s greaser with a toothpick). Not the most attractive habit, but you'll understand why in a moment.

What got me to quit was the movie "Constantine". That movie is about a Demon Hunter who is sentenced to eternity burning in Hades for attempting suicide as a teenager. He is also getting ever closer to that fate because he has advanced lung cancer from smoking his entire life.

This was an OK Keanu Reeves fiction. Don't know why that visualization hit me as hard as it did, but it did. I was done after that.

At the end of the day, that's what it comes down to. You have to be done. You have to be so fed up that you just can't take it anymore. If you're pining away for your addiction, you aren't going to make it. I've been on both sides of smoking. Once I was truly done, I made it and never looked back.

Back