Question Concerning 10k OCI & Timing Chains

1. No oil filter can remove everything
2. Oil filters become saturated with particulate matter over the duration of their usage. In my experience with a Hyundai GDI engine, that has a reputation for producing an excessive amount of carbon soot, it can effectively cut the expected usage in half or more.

I could not tell you, perhaps the Honda filter is more like a Tough Guard? It does use a silicone ADBV.
The Extra Guards use a silicone ADBV now too.

I was considering buying a Jetta and looked into the tensioner issue. I do not believe VW has this problem solved. They are on their 4th iteration of tensioner design and problems are already beginning to surface with the latest design. I loved the way the Jetta looked and drove but I did not want any part of that timing chain.

What Jetta were you looking at? Unless you are looking at a GLI the current Jetta's use the 1.4 TSI equipped with a belt.

Isn't the filter supposed to remove those contaminants?

They vary in effectiveness in this task- by a lot.

The honda filters are OEM'd by a couple manufacturers, but the most popular one is made by fram and similar to their models - but not identical The A02 lies between a fram tough guard and an extra guard, on the construction front, but with different media and as far as filters go its a fairly low performance filter, but obviously Hondas last a long time as a rule so they shoot for " good enough".

I believe Duckryder has posted the most pictures of them.
I cut one open and pasted it here.

Most on this forum would pitch the honda after its initial break in (or even during) and put a much better filter on.

Back