Question about trailer brakes

I have a friend who has an old vintage camping trailer. It's on the small side, probably 15 feet or so. Any way, he rebuilt it and when it came time to do the brakes he simply disconnected them by removing the surge brake hydraulic tongue and bolted on a fixed unit. So now his trailer has no brakes. I was concerned so I look up the weight of his trailer and it's only 1800 lbs. I thought if a trailer was under 3,000 lbs it did not need brakes.

Is this guy OK to go without brakes even though it came with them?

depends on the state but IMO yes as long as hes careful.
it also depends on the tow vehicle.
a ram 1500 would be safer than a dodge neon.

Towing 2000lb without brakes is not the end of the world.. esp. for an experienced driver.

Look up your state law. If the law says he needs brakes-and he doesn't have them and he is involved in an accident......don't understand Rand's statement above . Your buddy can be careful but another driver may not be.

It's California and I thought 3,000 lbs was the limit here without brakes but I just looked it up and it states 1500 lbs! Also my friend does have a newish Ram 1500 double cab.

As long as the brakes weren't dragging, friend could have left the whole shebang alone in its questionable state then if an inquisition came from the cops or an insurance company he could shrug and deny everything.

Might be worth hitting the scales with that thing, 15 feet sounds like more than 1800 lbs. How does the wind catch that thing?

I have a friend who has an old vintage camping trailer. It's on the small side, probably 15 feet or so. Any way, he rebuilt it and when it came time to do the brakes he simply disconnected them by removing the surge brake hydraulic tongue and bolted on a fixed unit. So now his trailer has no brakes. I was concerned so I look up the weight of his trailer and it's only 1800 lbs. I thought if a trailer was under 3,000 lbs it did not need brakes.

Is this guy OK to go without brakes even though it came with them?

A new 7000lb titan surge brake actuator is only $250, cheap vs white knuckle driving. What is the tow vehicle exactly?

ohio is empty trailer over 2000lb need brakes.. its middle of the road vs other states.

The vast majority of states allow 3000 lbs with no brakes on the trailer. California is one of the exceptions at 1500 lbs.

I tow a 3000 lb boat and trailer combo with no concerns with my F150.

I think at 1800lbs it will be fine, as long as a suitable vehicle is towing it and it has appropriate tongue weight.

While having brakes is always better, plenty of lawn care guys are towing more than that without brakes.

Still i would want some method of sway control even if its a friction bar. Towing a taller travel trailer is different than a low boat or landscape trailer.

I towed my dual axle Big Tex trailer with about 2000lb load behind my F150 before I had a trailer brake controller, it was no problem for the truck brakes

I think at 1800lbs it will be fine, as long as a suitable vehicle is towing it and it has appropriate tongue weight.

While having brakes is always better, plenty of lawn care guys are towing more than that without brakes.

Still i would want some method of sway control even if its a friction bar. Towing a taller travel trailer is different than a low boat or landscape trailer.

He says newish RAM 1500, I assume like the F150 it has built in sway control

I doubt such a light trailer would ever swap anyway on a truck like that

The vast majority of states allow 3000 lbs with no brakes on the trailer. California is one of the exceptions at 1500 lbs.

I tow a 3000 lb boat and trailer combo with no concerns with my F150.
This is true. Here’s a summer I found:

For example, five states, CA, ID, NV, NH, and OR, require brakes for all trailers more than 1,500 lbs.

Kansas and Ohio set the requirement at 2,000 lbs.

Everywhere else is 3k or higher requirement (most 3k).

I've got a 6x6x12 cargo, snowmobile trailer and a '14 landscape trailers, all single axle no brakes. My vintage 1976 pop up has brakes but they are not being used. It was sold in Colorado so I can see why it has brakes on it.
All the new trailers with a 2k capacity. No issues towing with a vehicle rated to tow 5k lbs and up.
It's all about what's pulling the trailer and the tow vehicles capacity.

Back