Question about rear caliper on VW Passat B6

My neighbor have issues with rear caliper on his Passat B6, that caliper seized shut and blocks the wheel. Now me and him managed to remove the caliper and remove the electric motor from the caliper. We also tried to push back the piston but the tools we borrowed didnt fit. So we removed the badly worn pads and just left the
caliper hang in place freely. Now we are located very far away from any workshop so we cant replace anything on the spot. Now the question is, can that piston pop
out from the caliper with hydraulic pressure alone if the car is driven?

I wouldn't do what you are about to do. Yes the piston can fly out of it bore but that's not the issue.. Why would you knowingly try to drive it with only three wheels having braking and risk hurting someone on the road??

I wouldn't do what you are about to do. Yes the piston can fly out of it bore but that's not the issue.. Why would you knowingly try to drive it with only three wheels having braking and risk hurting someone on the road??
Its not ideal but when you are in a small village really far away from nearest town options are quite limited.

Find something you can wedge in the caliper (wood, plywood, smashed copper pipe, etc) and secure it to (preferably) something that doesn't move with the suspension.

Alternatively, needle nose vice grips on the rubber portion of the brake hose. Wrap the jaws of the vice grips with electrical tape/duct tape and don't go crazy with the tightness.

Yes the piston will pop out and you will have no brakes at all. If you're sure you can block it from coming out you can do what JRed said. Test your blocking thoroughly by pressing the brake pedal hard with the engine running before driving.

some caliper pistons "screw" in + out requiring a cheap tool that screws while pushing, my 2001 jetta rears were like that

The B6 Passat calipers with the electronic parking brake isn't a Screw-in type, it's just pushed in, after the parking brake is retracted with a scan tool
Should it be possible to push in the piston if that park brake mechanism is retracted? We did separate the electric motor from the caliper and tried to manually turn on the mechanism but we could not push the piston back.

I would think the motor turns a screw in the back which pushes the piston out for parking. So look for a way to manually turn whatever the motor was driving backwards.

Should it be possible to push in the piston if that park brake mechanism is retracted? We did separate the electric motor from the caliper and tried to manually turn on the mechanism but we could not push the piston back.
Usually during a regular brake change, once the parking brake mechanism is retracted, you use a C-clamp or equivalent tool, to compress the piston again.

Keep in mind, you're also working against brake fluid pressure, so you may have to open the brake fluid reservoir and remove some fluid so that the fluid as a place to go.

Usually during a regular brake change, once the parking brake mechanism is retracted, you use a C-clamp or equivalent tool, to compress the piston again.

Keep in mind, you're also working against brake fluid pressure, so you may have to open the brake fluid reservoir and remove some fluid so that the fluid as a place to go.
I see. Right now with the actual park brake motor removed its possible to turn on the mechanism by hand, only if i knew what way to turn it to release it.

Back