question about oil loss

Status
Not open for further replies.
People said that turbo cars consume more motor oil between OCI as compared with NA cars. Is that true? How many ways could a car eat up motor oil (normally or unsually)?

Originally Posted By: Ahke
People said that turbo cars consume more motor oil between OCI as compared with NA cars. Is that true?

Not unless you have a leak. But since a turbo setup has more oil lines and gear, maybe there is more opportunity for something to start leaking.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Not unless you have a leak.

Not even evaporation cause of heat in the combustion chamber? or as the oil running through turbine?

Not in my experience. I owned an Audi A4 1.8T a few years back. It did not consume any oil. Maybe some turbo engines consume oil, but I would certainly not generalize that all of them do. Just like some NA engines are known to consume oil, but not all of them do.

If evaporation loss is a serious concern, then use an oil with low NOACK.

Thanks for your experience.
So if a car do have oil consumption, how did it(oil) disappear? and in how many ways (normally or unusually)?

My TDi will often use maybe a liter over a 10k OCI. But not always. Mine should not be drawing (much) of a vacuum at idle, but I'm told that long periods of idle can pull oil past the turbo seals. I would think heavy throttle would increase oil consumption, but probably not due to the turbo (extra heat, thinner oil, easier to get past rings?).

I'd just use a quality synthetic, that meets VW min specs, and check it once in a while. The turbo bearings do run hot, hence the need for high quality oil. But VW has been calling for long OCI's, upwards of what, 20k? in European applications.

People said that turbo cars consume more motor oil between OCI as compared with NA cars. Is that true? How many ways could a car eat up motor oil (normally or unsually)?

In my twin turbo Audi, consuming is not the best word to describe it. What happens is some oil is always going to get past the seals in the turbos and disappear from the crankcase. It pools in the intake system at the lowest point, which on my car is the hose between the intercoolers and the charge pipe that runs up to the throttle body. I just recently pulled both hoses to replace motor mounts and about a cup of oil came out of each hose. Not sure how many miles that was since I last removed those hoses.

Another way would be when the PCV system clogs up, and then it is forced into the intake and consumed through the engine. Common problem for Audis of the 2000s.

Turbos do indeed have more points to leak. From external lines to internal seals that blow oil up the exhaust pipe.
In addition, higher CC pressures cause more blow by and also a loss of oil control. It depends on how you drive. A NA engine will use more oil at full throttle, too.

In my experience, turbo cars use more oil [never less], than NA cars.

Of course use will vary.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: threeputtpar

In my twin turbo Audi, consuming is not the best word to describe it. What happens is some oil is always going to get past the seals in the turbos and disappear from the crankcase. It pools in the intake system at the lowest point, which on my car is the hose between the intercoolers and the charge pipe that runs up to the throttle body. I just recently pulled both hoses to replace motor mounts and about a cup of oil came out of each hose. Not sure how many miles that was since I last removed those hoses.

Another way would be when the PCV system clogs up, and then it is forced into the intake and consumed through the engine. Common problem for Audis of the 2000s.

Hi there,
In your case, those oil might not come from the leaking seals in the turbo. It should be part of normal crankcase ventilation from the Exhaust Turbocharged Gas Outlet in the cylinder head, which is another passage of the PCV system. You can find a crankcase breather connection in the turbo. In my car, it's a aluminum hose .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back