Check gauges on a dying cluster?

I had something interesting happen on my 2004 Cavalier- the “check gauges” light popped on today while warming the car up. The car itself runs fine, clean oil, year old coolant, no leaks.

The gauge cluster has been slowly going the last few years. The only thing the works on it now is the temperature gauge. My thinking is that the light popped on due to the almost complete failure of the cluster. The goal in the spring is to pull the cluster and get the stepper motors replaced.

So my question is, could the light simply be related to cluster, or could it be something more? The reason I ask is that I expect a lot of folks had to replace/repair the gauge clusters in their late 90s/early 00s GM products……..

I guess you can try to read codes, if no codes are stored, then the light is the result of cluster defect.

I guess you can try to read codes, if no codes are stored, then the light is the result of cluster defect.

Actually will be giving that a try- I’m guessing it didn’t click for me right away given the fact it’s probably the only light I’ve never seen lit by itself on a car of mine.

Going to see if I can get a code reader before I have to go to Autozone……

iirc the check gages light only lights up for low fuel or high coolant temp.

I know the coolant is only a year old….

Didn’t think about the fuel though. Only thing that works on the cluster right now is the temp one…..need to double check that now…..

Back