How to not scratch your gauge cluster?

I was doing an interior clean on my new Mazda and wanted to clean the dust off the plastic cover over my gauge cluster. I know that plastic is notoriously soft so I used a light touch, a microfiber towel, and some Chemical Guys All Interior Cleaner. I STILL made little scratches. How the heck am I supposed to keep it clean? Dust always collects there so bad and it drives me crazy.

This will temporarily treat your OCD: https://www.amazon.com/NOVUS-PK1-2-Plastic-Scratch-Remover-Bottles/dp/B0091IPVEW

1685747403610.png

I used the softest microfiber towel I can find, and I don't let the towel touch the plastic UNLESS iKlear is sprayed directly on the plastic first.

iKlear

I think those cleaning clothes for cellphones might be good and then keep it clean with a feather duster.

I'm not meticulous about my interior so I just use a microfiber cloth and Griot's interior cleaner.

You can probably buy and cut a screen protector type material to cover the cluster. Then you can clean it and not scratch anything.

Adam’s detailing brush. I’m sure there is a cheap clone of this but I tried a bunch of brushes like this and this is by far the softest and the only thing that won’t scratch the fragile gauge cluster coating on certain BMWs. Even top quality MF will mar the sprayed on AR coating but this won’t.

Even the softest cloth can't prevent scratches if particles that are harder than the surface you are cleaning are on the cloth or on the surface while you are cleaning. A tacky substance like Cyber Clean Putty allows you to remove all particles from delicate surfaces. Then you can clean with a plastic cleaner like Plexus without scratching the plastic. There are other brands of gel cleaners that work the same as Cyber Clean.

I have used Plexus for years with no scratches......Ir is a cleaner and sealer all in one....no need to clean first with a glass cleaner...

Adam’s detailing brush. I’m sure there is a cheap clone of this but I tried a bunch of brushes like this and this is by far the softest and the only thing that won’t scratch the fragile gauge cluster coating on certain BMWs. Even top quality MF will mar the sprayed on AR coating but this won’t.

Also known as a woman's make up brush.

Back