Low Oil Pressure light came on in a 1994 Honda Accord

Highly doubt the main is worn enough to trigger the lop warning, if it was it'd also be worn enough to billow smoke out. Very likely just a sensor.

Reactions: wlk
Maybe wrong oil viscosity was put in? I once accidently put 4 Quarts of FRAM 5W-20 instead of FRAM 5W-30 into my GMC Canyon during an oil change. When the weather got hot, I started getting a Low Oil Pressure warning at idle. Somehow by changing the oil filter(different brand) it stopped. I didn't realize what happened until couple of months later when I was missing 4 quarts out of 6 of 5W-20 that I had saved for the oil change in my Mustang GT. The bottles were identical except for the viscosity number.

If the sending unit and oil pressure checks out good, consider:

A blinking oil light is a common problem with aged G1 Legends (perhaps with vintage Honda as well). Typically, there's a fractured solder joint on the gauge circuit board that needs to be reflowed. I've had to make this repair in the past.

Update:
So i pulled old sensor out. Was an aftermarket one by the looks of it. I tested grounds and bulb works just fine in the dash. Got the oil testing gauge in there and the readings were about 20psi idle and 70psi at 3k rpm.

Bearings definitely arent worn because the minimums to pass were 10psi at idle and 50psi at 3k rpm :D

Looks like faulty oil pressure sensor. Diagnosis complete. Thanks guys.

Attachments

• PXL_20230820_164110301.jpg
    PXL_20230820_164110301.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 7
  • PXL_20230820_164057415.jpg
    PXL_20230820_164057415.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 7
Update:
So i pulled old sensor out. Was an aftermarket one by the looks of it. I tested grounds and bulb works just fine in the dash. Got the oil testing gauge in there and the readings were about 20psi idle and 70psi at 3k rpm.

Bearings definitely arent worn because the minimums to pass were 10psi at idle and 50psi at 3k rpm :D

Looks like faulty oil pressure sensor. Diagnosis complete. Thanks guys.
Awesome! Thanks for letting us know.

Did you let it warm up for those measurements?

Awesome! Thanks for letting us know.

Did you let it warm up for those measurements?
Yeah I waited about 20 minutes and gave it a few 2k rpm holds before concluding the readings weren't going to change. Letting the engine cool as we speak so I can replace the sensor.

I think cold it was 30psi and up idle. So it traveled quite a bit. Engine must not be original is my conclusion, because it had really good compression testing results too

It may be original. I've done head gaskets on Honda and Toyota 4 cylinders with 200k+ miles where the cylinder hone marks still looked new.

I have a friend who just retired an Accord with 450k miles. It still ran fine but it needed a clutch and he didn't want to put the money into it.

It may be original. I've done head gaskets on Honda and Toyota 4 cylinders with 200k+ miles where the cylinder hone marks still looked new.

I have a friend who just retired an Accord with 450k miles. It still ran fine but it needed a clutch and he didn't want to put the money into it.
Possibly, maybe these vintage hondas/acuras are just a marvel of engineering. I'm happy to own one even though it looks like a beater.

Back