Engine oil temp not rising over 196 degrees even after 35 minute drive.

Does the gauge in fact read over 196 degrees. On my 2014 911 the water temperature gauge doesn't read over 194 degrees even if the oil is in the 220-230 range I suspect Mazda might be the same.

Thanks for all of the replies, all. I wasn't necessarily concerned, but just curious as I was apparently under the misapprehension that 212 degrees was considered 'normal operating temperature". Ya learn something new everyday. :)

Does the gauge in fact read over 196 degrees. On my 2014 911 the water temperature gauge doesn't read over 194 degrees. I suspect Mazda might be the same.

It's a small digital display on the same screen as the individual tire pressures. I did notice it doesn't seem to change by individual degrees, rather by 10 or more degrees at a time over the course of a couple of minutes.

I thought, or at least thought I read once, that 212 was the nominal operation temp and needed to burn off any moisture.
I would put a scan tool on it to see the actual temperature if you wanted to know if gauge is accurate

I thought, or at least thought I read once, that 212 was the nominal operation temp and needed to burn off any moisture.
It'll evaporate off the small amount of water that may be present below 212. Think about a hot cup of coffee (from a drip maker). Nowhere near 212, still steams. As others have noted, you're golden. Enjoy your new car, and congrats on the great decision to join the Mazda family! (07 Mazda3 GT sedan here, been in the family since new)

Back