Question about oil for a 2013 VW Toureg gasser

Old-school so 502 for that VR but 504s are backwards compatible so have it with either. I have the same engine in my Atlas - got my 36mm socket from www.shopdap.com but you may be able to find it on Amazon etc. You can get oil change kits from FCP Euro delivered (Liquimoly) for about $60 or just hit Wallyworld for the typical Euro flavors they sell for less.

Reactions: pbm
I got my 36mm from auto zone. It was labeled as being for Ford Diesel engines but on the back lists VW 3.6. But then again 36mm is 36mm lol

Thanks guys....the 0 and 5w40 Castrol , the 0w40 M1 and the QS Euro 5w40 are all stocked in 5 qt. jugs at Walmarts near me. The QS is a great deal @ $19 for the 5 qt. jug. The only thing I'm concerned about is the 36mm cap wrench. I'll let you know how it goes when I actually get to it. I'll try to get her to understand the importance of servicing her beautiful new ride (it really is a nice vehicle).
do you still live in new york? use the euro 5w40, very nice stuff, works for a long time too!

Old-school so 502 for that VR but 504s are backwards compatible so have it with either. I have the same engine in my Atlas - got my 36mm socket from www.shopdap.com but you may be able to find it on Amazon etc. You can get oil change kits from FCP Euro delivered (Liquimoly) for about $60 or just hit Wallyworld for the typical Euro flavors they sell for less.
Any thoughts as to why the newer VRs are specd for 0w30 504? That's what I'm running in mine but wouldn't lose sleep over putting 502 in it in a pinch.
I'm thinking maybe lower SAPs and a thousandth of a mpg.

Any thoughts as to why the newer VRs are specd for 0w30 504? That's what I'm running in mine but wouldn't lose sleep over putting 502 in it in a pinch.
The minimum HT/HS is the same between 502 00 and 504 00 so if anything it is indeed a thousandth of a MPG.

VW still "specs" 504 00, the grade is a recommendation and in this case irrelevant. A winter rating of 0W is only relevant at -35F or so.

VW 504 is a much newer spec and meets a much more stringent wear protection standard than VW 502 does. And as Kschachn mentioned the minimum viscosity is the same, HTHS at least 3.5. VW 502 is slowly fading away, I don't believe VW Audi is spec'ing a single new car for it here anymore? The real hot rods are getting spec'd for VW 511, which is basically a 40 grade VW 504.

do you still live in new york? use the euro 5w40, very nice stuff, works for a long time too!
I did the oil/filter change yesterday on the Touareg. I ended up using Castrol 0w40 from Walmart. It turns out that the oil filler cap says "VW recommends Castrol oils" even though I didn't know that when I bought the oil. I used an STP (Extended Life...gold box) oil filter from AZ which was only $10....they even had an STP regular filter (blue box) for $6 but it mentioned being good for 5K while the gold box mentioned 10K. At any rate she's set for a while...

Back