Question about Discount Tire

Costco additional warranty isn't so great for what you pay. It's pro-rated. DT is a no fuss replacement at no cost.
What are you talking about?

DT and Costco both come with prorated road hazard. No difference. Plus Costco is open Sundays while DT is not.

For an additional cost, DT will sell you the certificates which give you a "no prorate" replacement for 3 years.

What are you talking about?

DT and Costco both come with prorated road hazard. No difference. Plus Costco is open Sundays while DT is not.

For an additional cost, DT will sell you the certificates which give you a "no prorate" replacement for 3 years.
I just saw in a long thread on a FB group I mod that there was a $20/tire additional warranty through Costco - that's what I was basing my comment on. This isn't the case? Maybe it's a warehouse-specific thing?I haven't bought tires there in quite a long time but I do love me some Costco!

I used to get tires through Tirerack and they included road hazard but it was somewhat of a hassle...you pay to fix it locally then submit a claim/get reimbursed...whopp-di-doo...I got a check for $15 plus the time to hassle with it.

The DT warranty is extra per tire/based off the cost of the tires but is a no-fuss deal but like all warranties, your results may vary. For an extra $100 on top of a set of $1000 tires that I'll have for the full 3 years, it's not a huge gamble as I've already had 1 pay out for $175 tire value so that one paid for itself and my use history supports I'll likely use it/get my money back on it.. I'm not a huge warranty person and typically never buy anything like it but these are ok to me and I like the zero fuss. Wife flatted/screw, put on the spare, rolled to DT, out in short order with a new tire and fortunately the others were only a 32" or so off of new so no need to replace more than one. Of course you decide if you want the warranty again (certificate) so pay the $25 or whatever for the new tire I you want. Clearly, like all warranties, they make more money than they pay out. I have 5 sets of tires from DT on the 5 vehicles in my fleet and have coverage on all of them. It's nice for my son away at college if he has an issue, no-fuss/go to the DT there for a replacement.

I just saw in a long thread on a FB group I mod that there was a $20/tire additional warranty through Costco - that's what I was basing my comment on. This isn't the case? Maybe it's a warehouse-specific thing?I haven't bought tires there in quite a long time but I do love me some Costco!
A 10 second visit to Costco.com would have invalidated that information. ;)

1681317079949.jpg

$19.99/tire is the cost of their installation pkg - which includes 5 years of pro-rated Road Hazard Coverage.

I used to get tires through Tirerack and they included road hazard but it was somewhat of a hassle...you pay to fix it locally then submit a claim/get reimbursed...whopp-di-doo...I got a check for $15 plus the time to hassle with it.

The DT warranty is extra per tire/based off the cost of the tires but is a no-fuss deal but like all warranties, your results may vary. For an extra $100 on top of a set of $1000 tires that I'll have for the full 3 years, it's not a huge gamble as I've already had 1 pay out for $175 tire value so that one paid for itself and my use history supports I'll likely use it/get my money back on it.. I'm not a huge warranty person and typically never buy anything like it but these are ok to me and I like the zero fuss. Wife flatted/screw, put on the spare, rolled to DT, out in short order with a new tire and fortunately the others were only a 32" or so off of new so no need to replace more than one. Of course you decide if you want the warranty again (certificate) so pay the $25 or whatever for the new tire I you want. Clearly, like all warranties, they make more money than they pay out. I have 5 sets of tires from DT on the 5 vehicles in my fleet and have coverage on all of them. It's nice for my son away at college if he has an issue, no-fuss/go to the DT there for a replacement.

The TR business model is no longer relevant in today's marketplace. I think the free road hazard and shipping was their last-ditch effort to remain semi-relevant to a niche crowd.

Anyway, the DT "certificates" have been priced at 15% of the tire cost - which can be significant. They also make you purchase a new certificate for the replacement tire when an incident occurs.

On paper, the certificates are only valid for 3 years, but it seems like the stores in this region rarely enforce the time limit. DT already includes free pro-rated road hazard with their tires, so it makes rarely makes any sense to purchase the certificates.

Actually this sound fishy as our DT gave us the warranty free. So might do you good to check with another DT in your area.

Actually this sound fishy as our DT gave us the warranty free. So might do you good to check with another DT in your area.
Nothing fishy here, they charge for it. Maybe they just discounted the tires a bit to cover it, but I can assure you DT charges for the certificates which are not the same as the pro-rata road hazard that @The Critic detailed above.

I never get the certs. I also shop around as they price match. You can show them an ad on your cell phone and they will match it.

A 10 second visit to Costco.com would have invalidated that information. ;)

View attachment 150049
$19.99/tire is the cost of their installation pkg - which includes 5 years of pro-rated Road Hazard Coverage.

The TR business model is no longer relevant in today's marketplace. I think the free road hazard and shipping was their last-ditch effort to remain semi-relevant to a niche crowd.

Anyway, the DT "certificates" have been priced at 15% of the tire cost - which can be significant. They also make you purchase a new certificate for the replacement tire when an incident occurs.

On paper, the certificates are only valid for 3 years, but it seems like the stores in this region rarely enforce the time limit. DT already includes free pro-rated road hazard with their tires, so it makes rarely makes any sense to purchase the certificates.
Ah I see now...got it - that guy was off his rocker then. He was really mad that he paid for this warranty and it only pro-rated the replacement tire...he was confused then.

Like any warranty, everyone values these things differently. I paid ~$100 for 4 of them on the Atlas with the new Pirelli Scorpion AS 3s I got last year and got a $175 tire installed/handled under it so more than paid for it on the particularly vehicle, even covered the new certificate I purchased for the replacement tire. I have others that may never see the value come to fruition. I don't buy tires often, this isn't a huge cost/gamble here but I get why folks (typically me in most cases) don't buy additional warranties like this.

Discount Tire is the main installer for Tire Rack here in Louisville, buying from Tire Rack you get a road hazard free, have to check again to see for how long.
I bought my tires online, mounted and balanced for 94$, shipped to store for free.

Discount Tire is the main installer for Tire Rack here in Louisville, buying from Tire Rack you get a road hazard free, have to check again to see for how long.
I bought my tires online, mounted and balanced for 94$, shipped to store for free.
Waste of time - Discount pricing is better than TR (or they’ll match) and their included road hazard is longer than TR’s 2-years.

the tires are slightly crowned, so when they're new most of the weight is on the center rib of the tire and not the edge lugs. once the rib wears down they get louder. I've never ran these tires myself so everything i say is just what I read on the internet.
Been true of every M/T that I have owned … probably says something about the contact patch on wet roads compared to an A/T tire …

Waste of time - Discount pricing is better than TR (or they’ll match) and their included road hazard is longer than TR’s 2-years.
I don't see that DT even has a Road Hazard warranty. They just offer their "certificates", which are generally priced at slightly under the cost of one new tire - pretty standard in the industry. What the pricing is saying is that most people won't use the warranty, but for those that do, they won't exceed one tire for the lifetime of that particular purchase.

As a general policy, I always say no to any extra insurance, for any product, in any industry. In the case of tires, at least some manufacturers offer their own road hazard warranty. Eg, Continental offers 1-year at no charge. TireRack comes with 2-years that runs concurrently. So, in the case of DT, a $300 tire as part of a set of 4 will cost you $200 for the certificate ($50/tire). This only buys you one extra year of road hazard coverage as compared to TireRack.

Not really worth it for an extra 2/3 of the cost of one new tire. I'd rather just wait until if/when I blow out a tire, and pay for the new one out of pocket. It's extremely rare.

Put another way, if I tacked on an additional 2/3 of the cost of one new tire for every set of 4 I've ever purchased, I'd be a few thousand dollars poorer, and I might've used the warranty only once in my lifetime.

Lastly, if you actually read the certificate, replacement is pretty much at their sole discretion, unless the tire is completely shredded, eg you've hit a massive pothole, and in that case a savvy consumer can get the city/state to cover the damage (albeit somewhat of a hassle).

Last edited:
I don't see that DT even has a Road Hazard warranty. They just offer their "certificates", which are generally priced at slightly under the cost of one new tire - pretty standard in the industry. What the pricing is saying is that most people won't use the warranty, but for those that do, they won't exceed one tire for the lifetime of that particular purchase.

As a general policy, I always say no to any extra insurance, for any product, in any industry. In the case of tires, at least some manufacturers offer their own road hazard warranty. Eg, Continental offers 1-year at no charge. TireRack comes with 2-years that runs concurrently. So, in the case of DT, a $300 tire as part of a set of 4 will cost you $200 for the certificate. This only buys you one extra year of road hazard coverage as compared to TireRack.

Not really worth it for an extra 2/3 of the cost of one new tire. I'd rather just wait until if/when I blow out a tire, and pay for the new one out of pocket. It's extremely rare.

Put another way, if I tacked on an additional 2/3 of the cost of one new tire for every set of 4 I've ever purchased, I'd be a few thousand dollars poorer, and I might've used the warranty only once in my lifetime.

Lastly, if you actually read the certificate, replacement is pretty much at their sole discretion, unless the tire is completely shredded, eg you've hit a massive pothole, and in that case a savvy consumer can get the city/state to cover the damage (albeit somewhat of a hassle).
It isn't advertised but their tires do include a pro-rated road hazard warranty, standard.

Just purchased from them a few months ago and this was still true as of then.

It isn't advertised but their tires do include a pro-rated road hazard warranty, standard.

Just purchased from them a few months ago and this was still true as of then.
Can you link me on their site where it indicates this? That would be kind of strange if they're offering 3 years on top with the purchase of a certificate. Then you'd be paying for at least one redundant warranty.

This is all I could find: "Discount Tire does not offer the typical tire warranty that manufacturers might for their product. Instead, Discount Tire has Certificates, which is a tire repair, refund, or replacement service. "

Last edited:
I've bought many sets of tires from DT and have never seen/been able to find that they have as standard free road hazard warranty; I know many manufacturers have these but I can see this being a total pain as many warranties are to deal with/too much hassle to bother. They have the paid-for 100% all-in one (certificates) that I have purchased before...usually about $100 a set of 4 and has paid for itself for me but typically I don't buy these kinds of things. DT also will just repair your tire for free, no matter if you got them there or not which is a great service. TR has the free one that I have made a claim with - kind of a pain b/c you pay to have it fixed then they reimburse you...also would pro-rate a replacement tire. Costco has a prorated one based on tread depth that is free/included with purchase.

TR has the free one that I have made a claim with - kind of a pain b/c you pay to have it fixed then they reimburse you...
This is a pain, but if you think about it, is optimal. The downtime would be even greater if you had to wait for them to front the payment. Priority is obv. to get back on the road asap.

One of the disadvantages of DT is that if you want to get anything done, you really need to physically go to your particular location. At that point, it's a game of he said, she said. This is how they are able to gaslight so many people. In the case of TireRack, if I have a problem, it's all solved via email, everything is crystal clear and in writing.

100% of the time I got to a DT, I overhear someone being told their vibration issue is being caused by traction control, or that so and so needs new bolts because the current ones are "stretched". They'll just say whatever because none of it is on record.

Back