Question about Discount Tire

I'm needing a set of tires on my 2016 F-250 and have been shopping around. Discount Tire lists the BFG TA KO2 at $322/tire in 285/70R17. Price for 4 comes out to $1288. Total invoice is $1727.31, this includes $88 for installation, $232 for "certificates", environmental fees, disposal fees, and taxes.

Those of you that use DT, are the certificates worth the extra cost? Also, I know these have a 50,000 mile warranty, does BFG honor this without a bunch of hassle? I usually buy cheap tires locally but this truck sees some regular long distance travel 400+ miles from home in addition to farm duty. My usual concern is tires rotting before I wear them out but these will be worn out before they ever get that old on this particular truck.

Everyone has to decide for themselves, if they want the "certificates" (aka road hazard warranty). But I have always got them. It has paid off a few times, when I have had tires that were damaged, and couldn't be repaired. It was nice to get a new tire from the certificates.

Consider how often you have had to get damaged tires replaced. This may help you decide if the certificates are worth it.

For the price of those tires, the certificates are definitely worth it to cover repair, refund, or replacement.

The general rule for any insurance is: if you can pay for the loss 100% by yourself in the future, don't the get insurance as the odds will be with you (the insurer is "the house).

That said, when I bought mom some tires at Discount Tire, I bought the certificates too so that all she would have to do is drive to DT if she ever had an issue.

---Also, I know these have a 50,000 mile warranty, does BFG honor this without a bunch of hassle? ---- BFG probably will ask for tire rotation records. As DT gives you free rotations, the record-keeping should be no hassle.

Good luck.

I usually tell them no thanks, but maybe if you drive in a very hazardous area it'll pay off.

I've only had one non-repairable tire in my entire driving career. Two nails that were too close together. Had to get the tire replaced, but the Nissan dealership I got the tires through included a road hazard as part of the purchase.

I've done the math on Discount Tire certificates for my vehicles and even after replacing one tire I would barely break even considering the cost. Keep in mind that some competitors (such as Sams) include road hazard in the cost of mounting/balancing.

Last edited:
I didn't get the certificates. They already plug/patch tires for free and some tire manufacturers will cover road hazard and most will cover a defect.

YMMV though. The only time I've gotten a nail in a tire, the patches wouldn't hold and so I somehow got a brand new one with no charge. Not sure how but I didn't ask questions.

On the flip side: A friend got so many nails that in one or two years all 4 corners were eventually replaced with warrantied tires.

Fine print:
1. LOSSES RESULTING FROM ANY OF THE FOLLOWING: COLLISION; VANDALISM; CHAIN DAMAGE; MECHANICAL DEFECTS OF THE VEHICLE; WILLFUL ABUSE, OR NORMAL WEAR AND TEAR. 2. A TIRE WITH 3/32 OF AN INCH TREAD DEPTH OR LESS. 3. PREEXISTING DAMAGE OR CONSEQUENTIAL LOSSES THAT MAY RESULT FROM DAMAGE TO A COVERED TIRE UNLESS THE CONDITION IS KNOWN OR SHOULD REASONABLY BE KNOWN BY US.

This might help someone if not the OP, I think Contentital has a free 1 year road hazard include on their tires.

Reactions: Pew
At least with the DT location I use, using the "protection" plan is absolutely zero-hassle. As others have said though, you just have to decide if the cost is worth it to you. If those tires last you 5 years, the cost works out to less then $12/year per tire.

the certs are only good for 3 years now. these certs are jsut like insurance. when you need it you are happy you got it. if you never use them you lost money.

also, they are negotiable. when i sued to get them many moons ago, the counter guy would sometimes if i bought 2 , throw in the other 2 . i personally don't get them anymore

When I’ve declined this coverage, DT has come back and asked if I’d take them at half price. Worth a shot.

Hmmm. I never heard that.

Yessir:

If a tire covered by the Certificate for Repair, Refund or Replacement fails due to a non repairable road hazard or manufacturer defect, has 3/32" and above of tread depth remaining across the tire, and it has been less than 3 years from date of purchase, Discount Tire will give a refund of the full purchase price, together with the applicable sales tax and give you the option to purchase a replacement tire at the refund price, with the payment of any applicable sales tax

Back