Question about Discount Tire

For my wife’s and kids cars, I usually opt for the certs, so if they go there with an issue, it’s simply covered. For myself, only if my current drive pattern has shown a history of nails.

When I’ve declined this coverage, DT has come back and asked if I’d take them at half price. Worth a shot.
They did that with me once. I tried it more recently and the guy didn't bite.... So I asked if he could give me a better price and he said "we're not allowed to anymore".

I believe they already have a prorated road hazard warranty, but it requires waiving the right to use any manufacturer’s road hazard coverage. I bought a set from America’s Tire and when one tire blew out of the freeway I got a single replacement for maybe $30 and installation. But if it were repairable they would have just patched it. I’m not sure what would have happened if it was too far worn for my WRX. It was close enough. I thought for AWD cars the certificates might even pay for four tire replacements for AWD vehicles.

I thought for AWD cars the certificates might even pay for four tire replacements for AWD vehicles.
That's what the rep at DT told me when I put new tires on my AWD. I honestly don't know if it's 100% accurate though and him telling me doesn't bind DT to honor what he said either.

I'm needing a set of tires on my 2016 F-250 and have been shopping around. Discount Tire lists the BFG TA KO2 at $322/tire in 285/70R17. Price for 4 comes out to $1288. Total invoice is $1727.31, this includes $88 for installation, $232 for "certificates", environmental fees, disposal fees, and taxes.

Those of you that use DT, are the certificates worth the extra cost? Also, I know these have a 50,000 mile warranty, does BFG honor this without a bunch of hassle? I usually buy cheap tires locally but this truck sees some regular long distance travel 400+ miles from home in addition to farm duty. My usual concern is tires rotting before I wear them out but these will be worn out before they ever get that old on this particular truck.
Creekside
Save your $
I haven't had an issue with any Tires on Multiple Vehicles over the last 25+ years
I run mostly all Michelin, except for a set of BFG KM2 on 1 of my kids Jeeps.(7+ yrs going strong)
For the Record I don't buy extended Warranties on TVs or Washer/Dryers either.

Best of luck to you!

$232 seems expensive for road hazard. Some vendors include it for free or much cheaper.

DT Road Hazard is a full replacement with install, just pay for another certificate during the replacement.
Other Road Hazard is pro-rated warranty so we have to pay for whatever already used.

As far as mileage warranty goes, it is also come from DT.
In a lot of cases, they will not give all 4 tires depending on the brand that give an upper limit of 2 or 3 tires only not 4.
My recent experience was with Goodyear, they only able to prorate for 3 tires.
Yokohama only prorate 2 tires at the same time.

I always get the road hazard for my personal vehicles, mainly to make it easier for my wife. If she ever has a flat, she can just drive to a discount tire and they’ll handle it for her. The most she might have to do is pay for the road hazard on a new tire. Sometimes insurance is about avoiding headaches in the future more than anything.

So I made a decision today, I was at my truck tire shop getting tires installed on my dump truck and was talking with the salesman and techs about what they like. I ended up getting a set of Milestar Patagonia MTs installed for $231 a tire. They gave me a little bit of a break on the dump truck tire work to sweeten the deal slightly. On the hour drive home they were super quiet and a little sticky which they will grow out of. Coming from a bald set of Cooper Discoverers(I think that’s what they were) it was a huge improvement. Time will tell how they hold up.

Attachments

• 329E2E57-EF1E-47EF-924A-A5051968A2A1.jpeg
    329E2E57-EF1E-47EF-924A-A5051968A2A1.jpeg
    214.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 58A16254-7B90-436A-97D9-5B1D0CA3E68B.jpeg
    58A16254-7B90-436A-97D9-5B1D0CA3E68B.jpeg
    175.2 KB · Views: 24
I like DT and always add the certificates. Low cost no hassle replacement. Just used one on my Atlas...nearly new $150 tire replaced with no drama. I'm not a warranty guy typically but like these but as has been said they make money here showing on average you won't.

So I made a decision today, I was at my truck tire shop getting tires installed on my dump truck and was talking with the salesman and techs about what they like. I ended up getting a set of Milestar Patagonia MTs installed for $231 a tire. They gave me a little bit of a break on the dump truck tire work to sweeten the deal slightly. On the hour drive home they were super quiet and a little sticky which they will grow out of. Coming from a bald set of Cooper Discoverers(I think that’s what they were) it was a huge improvement. Time will tell how they hold up.
good choice
the jeep people complain that patagonia m/ts are too loud for mall cruising (they get louder as they wear)

I’m running PS4 Mitchlen tires and they are pricy! I didn’t buy the road hazard because the costs just seemed exuberant. About 95% of my driving is freeway and I have picked up a nail or screw in the past. So far, I’ve been pretty good with beating the house. 🤞

good choice
the jeep people complain that patagonia m/ts are too loud for mall cruising (they get louder as they wear)
Good to know, I’m totally amazed how quiet they are right now. I put 350 miles on the truck going to a cattle sale yesterday and you really only heard them if you pushed it over 75. They’re smooth too, no out of round or imbalance issues like you occasionally see on lower end mud tires.

Good to know, I’m totally amazed how quiet they are right now. I put 350 miles on the truck going to a cattle sale yesterday and you really only heard them if you pushed it over 75. They’re smooth too, no out of round or imbalance issues like you occasionally see on lower end mud tires.
the tires are slightly crowned, so when they're new most of the weight is on the center rib of the tire and not the edge lugs. once the rib wears down they get louder. I've never ran these tires myself so everything i say is just what I read on the internet.

I'm needing a set of tires on my 2016 F-250 and have been shopping around. Discount Tire lists the BFG TA KO2 at $322/tire in 285/70R17. Price for 4 comes out to $1288. Total invoice is $1727.31, this includes $88 for installation, $232 for "certificates", environmental fees, disposal fees, and taxes.

Those of you that use DT, are the certificates worth the extra cost? Also, I know these have a 50,000 mile warranty, does BFG honor this without a bunch of hassle? I usually buy cheap tires locally but this truck sees some regular long distance travel 400+ miles from home in addition to farm duty. My usual concern is tires rotting before I wear them out but these will be worn out before they ever get that old on this particular truck.
I believe there's a miles and/or years expiration on the certificates, too. Read carefully before buying. I think they have the legal stuff for them on their website. Also, check the brand you're buying. Some have really solid warranties you wouldn't expect.

Back