Question about Delvac MX 15W40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. I’m a new member and this is my first posting.....

Referring to Mobil Delvac MX 15W40, the ACEA ratings are A2/B3/B4/E3/E5/E7. How come it is only rated A2 for petrol application but can go for extended drain for diesel application? Since this oil is fleet oil and can be use for both petrol and diesel engine, I wonder why it’s not rated A3? Thanks.
smile.gif

Are you using it for one of those old beater COE cars? If yes, go ahead and pour it in. Don't worry about the A2 specification. I believe you can use it for a full length 10k km interval for a petrol engine. If you are driving a newer car, don't use this oil.

quote:

Originally posted by genie47:
If you are driving a newer car, don't use this oil.

To: genie47: I'm curious why you recommend not to use Delvac 15W-40 in newer vehicles. Concern about the catalytic converters?

Thank you.

Hi,
TwsT - ACEA's A2 rating is now effectively obsolete - the B3 rating tells the true story here

Delvac's MX 15w-40 is suitable for use as a premium lubricant in a petrol engine calling for that viscosity and the appropriate petrol engine rating. You do not quote the API's "S" rating which should be at least SJ

This lubricant has an excellent mixed fleet reputation and has "been around for decades" in one form or another

Regards
Doug

pmt, the poster is from Singapore, my home. I know how the driving conditions are like here. A 15W40 will kill the fuel economy of a new vehicle. I've tried it and it sucks considering the prices of petrol here. Most of the more oil educated new car owners are moving to 30wt oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back