Question about a career in the defense industry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Based on all the things I have heard and see from friends, Defense is a good industry to go in as a control system engineer: simple and relaxing work schedule, latest and greatest control projects, job stability.

However, there seems to be some additional burden: security clearance, low growth rate, politics, etc.

I can live with that, but on the security clearance. I have only been a US citizen for a couple of years and I have a couple relatives in China in their army (leutanent or commander, something like that).

So my question is: would it be a problem to get security clearance and are there good defense engineering jobs that require no clearance? How good is the career growth path?

I am back in the industry (defense and space related - we make rocket motors and associated equipment for satelites mostly) after being away for 13 years or so. I'm not sure why I left to be honest. I think moneywise, I should have stayed.

There are some jobs that require no clearance. I am no expert on what it will take to get at least a secret clearance for you, though.

Job stability is relative. There really is not much stability working for someone else in any industry. What out if the democrats regain power, or Bilary gets elected.

quote:

What out if the democrats regain power, or Bilary gets elected.

It's great to see such conviction that you'd be willing to continue on (Can't bring myself to saying forward!) the current path. Oh the bravery! May you get what you wish for.
tongue.gif

I can only comment as an outsider. My father in law was, at one time, a personnel manager for GE (the former space center in King of Prussia, PA). He later, when he was acting director of the Delaware River Port Authority, dabbled in coroporate headhunting. He got a truck load of resumes from the GE reject pile. Most were from naturalized citizens of foreign origin.

A friend, who's parents were on holiday in England during the 1969 Russian invasion of Chechosolvakia and immigrated to the US when he was 14, joined the Air Force. He qualified for virtually every high tech training (he went to high school in a coat and tie and carried a brief case). They spent over $30k researching his background and he was assigned to supply.
dunno.gif

I would not be too hopeful of getting too high in the military industrial complex.

This is, naturally, ancient history. I can only think that it will be worse in terms of current paranoia until the resident mass of "many generation" current stock becomes in short supply and "less then 100 year resident lineage" employees are all that's left to choose from
dunno.gif

In reality - my company has been through most admins without huge political hacks (no pun intended). We do OK with Mars missions or Venus.

I have a cool Mars lander jacket.

Panda

http://bensguide.gpo.gov/6-8/citizenship/rights.html

I have worked with many naturailzed citizens with security clearances. Including some who were born in the PRC when Uncle Mao was still in charge. They also had relatives in the PRC. That shouldn't be a big problem. Also, not having a security clearance in afield like control systems would really limit your opportunities.

If your prioritoes are job stability/security and an easy works schedule, you are probably barking up the wrong tree. Defense contractors are very vulnerable to the whims and budget constraints of the federal goverment. When gumnt money gets tight, they are often not in a position to get work from other sources. It can be an even less stable work environment than commercial work.

My normal work weeks in the defense industry on a salary were 50 to 60 hours with 70 not being unheard of. Some got by with 40 hours, but many of those people went out the door when business got slow.

From what I saw, a good share of military contractor control systems work is classified because of the Buck Rogers whiz bang super secret stuff that uses bleeding edge control systems.

A size 44 would be perfect. Please PM me if you're serious, because I am! Oh, and it has to be a manly color!
tongue.gif

Mauve is very manly here in SF, but I was actually more thinking of black. I like thermal efficiency.

Thanks for all the info. Based on what I read I think it is not for me. I can stand working long hour but I can't stand being in a dead end position just because I am not "trustworthy" in terms of security. After all I do have relatives serving other countries' military and there is nothing I can do about it.

Private sector and commercial work seems to be a better choice for me.

you shouldn't have any problems with your clearance, especially if it is lower level. for instance a "secret" clearance is little more than a background check, I had one for 10 years and it's good for 10 more. there are different levels of "top secret" that require various checks according to what/who you are going to work with.
US citizenship is good, you only need a green card to join the military.
My father in law works in HR (in fact he works with people waiting for their clearance) for a MAJOR defense contractor. if you would like me to i could ask him about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back