Quesion re: my mom's new car and its OLM

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mom is purchasing a brand new 2013 Chevrolet Spark It’s a little 4 cylinder gas engine. The deal said it has synthetic in it and that it is equipped with an OLM. This is no exaggeration but my mom only puts 2000 miles a year on her car. Only goes to work and grocery store. I intend to change her oil twice a year. Once in October to get her through the winter months and then in May to get her through the summer. I want to get the winter oil out since it will encounter a lot of short trip condensation. With regard to the OLM, does it reset itself when you change the oil?

Last edited:
Sounds like a good plan, 6 month OCI's, double check with the OM. You have to reset the OLM it doesn't reset itself, they tell you how to do it in the OM or DVD that came with the car.

The OLM takes all of that into account so you don't have to. I would plan to change it when the OLM says to change it. Anything more than that is a waste of time and money. You do have to reset the OLM when you change the oil.

There is probably a max time.. like once a year somewhere.
if not I'd still change it once a year.

To reset the OLM:
1. Display Remaining Oil Life on the DIC.
2. Press and hold the SET/CLR button on the DIC for more than five seconds. The oil life will change to 100%.

I believe you need to do once a year according to the manual. Just my
49.gif
but no need to do twice a year unless the OLM say so. 2K on a dexos1 speced oil will be fine.

Last edited:
I think the best thing you could do is not worry so much about the oil change, but try to take it out for a 50 mile drive once a month or so. That's what I did with my mom's car when she was doing similar driving. I'm not sure if you live nearby and if that's feasible, but if so I think it's the way to go. Once a year should be fine, particularly if you can do the occasional highway run on it.

My 08 Jeep OM says: Under no conditions should the oil change intervals exceed 6,000 miles [10,000 km] or 6 months whichever occurs first. It has an OLM too. Many mfgs suggest 6 month OCI's, check the OM. In your case while under warranty follow the OM. A good highway run from time to time will help keep the oil in shape.

Originally Posted By: J. A. Rizzo
The OLM takes all of that into account so you don't have to. I would plan to change it when the OLM says to change it. Anything more than that is a waste of time and money. You do have to reset the OLM when you change the oil.

I would not go by the OLM in this case because they only put 2000 miles/year.
if you went by that, it would take about three years of driving or 6000 miles
before the OLM goes off. For warranty, the max time would be one year.

6mnths OCI with full-syn is a good idea, for you still need to get rid of the moisture and acid(formed as blowby gas mixed with crankcase oil), fuel dilution, etc. and whatever suspended in your oil accumulated during frequent short trips.

Q.

GM owners manuals say once a year if the OLM never indicates, or presumably malfunctions. Check your manual. I'd do every spring to get the nasty of winter out.

Do we know if she takes five 3-mile trips or one 15 per week? The latter beats the former.

That car wants Dexos licensed oil, a performance spec met by many syns and several semi-syns and conventional oils. For warranty at least I'd stay with the dealer, so that's three changes in three years, LOL.

Well then if GM says once a year, that seems reasonable, and it will keep the warranty people happy if you have a problem.

+1 on Mark72's plan of maintenance. How much oil could it hold? 4qts? I would do the exact same thing with out batting an eye.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
GM owners manuals say once a year if the OLM never indicates, or presumably malfunctions. Check your manual. I'd do every spring to get the nasty of winter out.

Do we know if she takes five 3-mile trips or one 15 per week? The latter beats the former.

That car wants Dexos licensed oil, a performance spec met by many syns and several semi-syns and conventional oils. For warranty at least I'd stay with the dealer, so that's three changes in three years, LOL.

Which conventional oil meets Dexos spec?

Last edited:
Use Pennzoil semi-syn to meet dexos1 and for cost, change it once a year or when the OLM says to, and sleep well at night. The engine in a Spark is a tiny little naturally aspirated thing that has very little car to move around. It should be fine.

The odds of snapping the timing belt on it by 60k miles are greater than encountering an oil-related issue.

A good friend of mine has 11kia soul. She goot for fre oci at purchase. Talked them unto eight services. At one week two days took it in for break-in service at 750-800 miles. Dealer sent her away. Said wait til olm goes off. Changed it out with nextgen maxlife 5w20 at 900 miles. Did not reset olm. Second change done at dealer at 450 miles past olm at 12600. Every oci has been 10-1.75k. All dealer bulk 5w20 service plan. All done at 0% olm trigger and most of the time a week(900-1100 miles) past 0% olm. 170+k on clock still runnng 200+ miles a day. No oil lose or burn.

Ken

Trust a good oil and filter and trust the olm it will guide you the right diretion. It knows how the car is driven, cold short trips or long warm mile it counts that in. If you never go anywhere often it will land on 0% way soon.

Ken

I have 18months and 6700 miles on bulk tire shop 5w30 in the buick regal 3800 seriesII 8t still looks good aand is still at full line, i plan to change it early just before winter. ACdelo or purelator classic and nextgen maxlife 5w20. The next service will be long trips since thlady in the life has a new job, i plan to let it go to the olm light pops up on the nextgen.

Once a year or by OLM, according to GM.
You may be surprised at how quickly the OLM declines with the use your mother is putting this car to.
Pay attention to the OLM or once a year change using a Dexos 1 licensed oil and rest easy.

Originally Posted By: 2KBMW
Originally Posted By: J. A. Rizzo

I would not go by the OLM in this case because they only put 2000 miles/year.
if you went by that, it would take about three years of driving or 6000 miles
before the OLM goes off. For warranty, the max time would be one year.

So you, some anonymous gal/guy on the Internet, knows better than powertain engineers at the manufacturer what the OLM will tell you? Not bloody likely! The OLM, as very well documented in many places on the Internet and from your GM dealer, takes into account duration of time, temperatures, RPMs, mileage, and many other factors, and certainly knows better than some anonymous nobody what is the best way to maintain your engine. No offense, but at least demonstrate some knowledge of how the system works rather than make some ignorant out-of-nowhere comment like you know better than the engineers. Sheesh!
33.gif
What would honey boo boo do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back