Quality overall zero turn?

I've only ever owned the traditional lawn tractor and push mowers. I recently purchased a new house with a fairly large yard, about 2 acres worth of grass. So I am looking to finally ditch the old lawn tractor and give a zero turn a go. I was just curious what brands and models folks have had good success with for weekend residential use.

What brands are making quality mowers and what brands should I avoid?

I don't need anything too fancy, but don't mind spending a decent dollar to have something enjoyable to use. Thanks for input in advance.

Kubota! I have had mine for 10 years now, and have not replaced any parts-including the belt on the mower deck. I would buy a 48 inch, now as they seem to cut more a little more even. My 60 inch will tend to cut uneven on uneven ground. I need to get some dirt in holes where big trees were. They seem to have a 0% financing plan every year.

I bought a Scag Freedom Z about three years ago and it has been trouble free. It has a Kawasaki engine which I preferred. Cost was a little over 4K. They have more expensive commercial mowers depending on your budget but I cut 2 to 3 acres and have been happy with it

I've have a 2014 John Deere Z255 that I got in a trade. Its the 'Lowes grade' zero turn and nothing special, but a step up from a garden tractor for sure. I think there are a lot of perfectly good zero turns out there, I'd look for one with spin on filters for the hydro's and a fabricated deck. There is no way to change the oil on the hydro's on mine or a lot of the other bottom consumer grade zero turns. Not that I've had any problems with mine in the couple years I've had it..

My home is on 5 acres and I have 3 acre's of grass and two acre's of woods. I have a Ferris stand on rider with a Kawasaki engine.
I spent a fortune on it, but it's built like a tank and will probably outlast 2 box store sit on models.
If I had to do it over again, I'd probably get a Wright because of the YouTube videos of the young engineer and his passion to detail.

Lots of entry level zero-turns at $2500+ and then the next step up on quality is at about $4500.....and there are of course more steps.

I went with a Dixie Chopper Zee2 48" 23HP Kawasaki for $4400 with ZT-2800 transaxles. Really pleased with it. Easily got my moneys worth I feel.

Reactions: JTK
Most major manufacturers have entry level residential and commercial models. I spoke to more than a few guys with commercial accounts before deciding on a used commercial Dixie Chopper that way not used commercially. I was told by most to steer clear of Toro and make sure it has separate pumps and drive motors. I'm sure the recommendations will be all over the map, but I would look for a well maintained used commercial mower over a new residential. I have 800 hrs on my Dixie and the only repair was a leaking seal on the wheel motor. Keep the fluids changed, spindles greased, and blades sharp and it will last nearly forever if garage kept. Buy once, cry once...YMMV

I've only ever owned the traditional lawn tractor and push mowers. I recently purchased a new house with a fairly large yard, about 2 acres worth of grass. So I am looking to finally ditch the old lawn tractor and give a zero turn a go. I was just curious what brands and models folks have had good success with for weekend residential use.

What brands are making quality mowers and what brands should I avoid?

I don't need anything too fancy, but don't mind spending a decent dollar to have something enjoyable to use. Thanks for input in advance.

2 acres of grass to cut. I would say that nothing less than 52” of cutting width. You would want something equipped with Hydro Gear ZT-3100 hydros. Scag and Exmark are pretty pricey. Gravely, Hustler and Toro would be the three choices that I would look at. I would advise you to avoid the lines that are sold at big box stores and go through a servicing dealer.

I have a Cub Cadet with the Kawasaki engine that I bought in 2010 with 568 hours on the clock; regular maintenance and a PTO switch is all that's been done to it. The new models are built even better. It's a good ZTR and won't break the bank.

Reactions: JTK
To me it depends on the type of mowing you need it to do and how much you want to spend.

If the terrain is rough, hilly and lots of inclines, you'll need a more expensive machine.

I owned a Cub Z-force 44" ztr 10yrs ago. I hated it on the hilly and inclined terrain I had at the time.

Not a big fan of lap bar machines either, but like said above, lots of choices today.

Here are a couple that I would choose from.
I have a little over 2.5 acres to mow. I made the mistake of buying an entry level 50” Toro MX5000. It was just too much yard for that little mower This was the type mower that was sold at Home Depot and Tractor Supply. I traded it for a Toro ZX5400 and it cut my mowing time and gives a better cut. That’s the main reason that I am advising you to stay away from the entry level homeowner models sold at big box stores. I would especially avoid Cub Cadet for your choice.

Last edited:
I have a Ferris IS700 61" and I have a Wright Stander 36". I use the ferris at the out of town place, have 9 acres to mow up there, use the stander for city residence half acre. Both are great for the areas I use each one at, either would be terrible if I switched locations.

I agree on the comments above to observe what brands are most used in YOUR area by commercial outfits and then seek out the established local dealers to ease future parts and service needs. I have had superb experience with Exmark.

Ferris and Exmark are the 2 used by 98% of lawn care companies here. I have a Ferris FW35 walk behind that is great for my hilly 3 acres of turf. I’d say anything not bought at Home Depot or Lowe’s should last a long while for you. A commercial grade mower will probably last 3 lifetimes.

Here are a couple that I would choose from.
I have a little over 2.5 acres to mow. I made the mistake of buying an entry level 50” Toro MX5000. It was just too much yard for that little mower This was the type mower that was sold at Home Depot and Tractor Supply. I traded it for a Toro ZX5400 and it cut my mowing time and gives a better cut. That’s the main reason that I am advising you to stay away from the entry level homeowner models sold at big box stores. I would especially avoid Cub Cadet for your choice.

Its funny how times change.. When I was growing up I mowed 2.5 acres with a 14hp 42in Murray for 10yrs before it konked out.. (transaxle died). Now I have a 48in zero turn for my .5 acre.. haha

One thing I've noticed with my residential grade John Deere zero turn is that it will not cut dandelions or bahia unless the blades are super sharp. As in I have to sharpen new blades before install to get an acceptable cut. I never had to do this with any of my other lawn tractors.

If you want something that will last:

Ferris, Hustler, Gravely, Scag, Wright, John Deere (only the commercial dealer stuff)

In no particular order.

Back