Zero turn experiences?

I guess in the $5K price range my requirement would be serviceable transmission (not sealed for life or require removal for a fluid change). Is there a such thing as greasable spindles, or are these all sealed units? Any standout units?

A 0% APR deal would make it a no brainer. Any compelling reason to wait until the end of mowing season?

@SubieRubyRoo is on to something. The Ariens Apex is a good choice. However, it’s not a commercial grade mower. It’s considered as an upper end residential mower. It has dual Hydro-Gear ZT3100 transmissions that are serviceable. For two acres a 52” would be all that you need. You will need to come up with an extra $1,000.
Bad Boy ZT Elite is another good choice.

@SubieRubyRoo is on to something. The Ariens Apex is a good choice. However, it’s not a commercial grade mower. It’s considered as an upper end residential mower. It has dual Hydro-Gear ZT3100 transmissions that are serviceable. For two acres a 52” would be all that you need. You will need to come up with an extra $1,000.
Correct, there’s no shocks on it, but it does have a 10 gauge fabricated deck. Other than 2 total oil changes and hydro fluid, it’s needed nothing in 160 hours. It could likely use new blades, or even a sharpening. but it’s not leaving any streaks. It is limited to 8mph from factory but seems like it could handle more unless the grass is fully damp. I couldn’t see spending more than this if you’re not running a mowing service.

Correct, there’s no shocks on it, but it does have a 10 gauge fabricated deck. Other than 2 total oil changes and hydro fluid, it’s needed nothing in 160 hours. It could likely use new blades, or even a sharpening. but it’s not leaving any streaks. It is limited to 8mph from factory but seems like it could handle more unless the grass is fully damp. I couldn’t see spending more than this if you’re not running a mowing service.
Very few zero turns have shocks. Ferris and Stihl are two that I can think of. In reality, Ferris and Stihl are the same other than the paint job.

I guess in the $5K price range my requirement would be serviceable transmission (not sealed for life or require removal for a fluid change). Is there a such thing as greasable spindles, or are these all sealed units? Any standout units?

A 0% APR deal would make it a no brainer. Any compelling reason to wait until the end of mowing season?
This is not much over your budget and I didn't look much. The 52" is like only $100 less and not worth it.
Look at the specs and features at the middle of the page. Just one example.

I have smallest Arielns ZT made, a 2-blade 34” “zoom.” It has a 1 cyl Briggs 14.5 ohv engine. I’ve used the heck out of it and it’s on its 4th deck. It is quite thrifty on fuel and I have enjoyed mowing with it for 11 years. It’s starts like it did brand new. The only issues have been deck wear and carnage from hitting roots at speed by accident (I’ve mowed other lawns besides just my own and found them by surprise). Yes it can go 6mph but a good cut requires going 4 or under most days. I would love this mower with a better deck. The 14.5 Briggs is a good match for it - if the engine is lugging, the machine is overwhelmed anyway and will need a second pass. It has pulled an aerator, a trailer, and dragged heavy things around my yard. I changed the oil in the transmissions once at 4 years, and the engine gets synthetic oil most augusts, but not every. Doesn’t consume a drop of oil. I don’t store it in the rain. With ramps it can be transported in the bed of my truck. I’d buy another.

Kawasaki seems to be plenty popular in these machines. Reminds me of Kohler V-Twins in the late 90's - 00's; nearly all manufacturers switched from Onan & even Briggs to Kohler, not necessarily for the better. Is there a compelling reason to prefer Kawasaki over a Briggs or Kohler engine? I have a hunch that there's no bad engine choice in this price range, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Kawasaki seems to be plenty popular in these machines. Reminds me of Kohler V-Twins in the late 90's - 00's; nearly all manufacturers switched from Onan & even Briggs to Kohler, not necessarily for the better. Is there a compelling reason to prefer Kawasaki over a Briggs or Kohler engine? I have a hunch that there's no bad engine choice in this price range, but correct me if I'm wrong.
Kohler or Kawasaki. You will play ~€££ getting parts for a Briggs and Stratton.

With zero turns there are so many different levels of build quality, you really have to be careful. Most of the homeowner/box store zero turns are okay for mowing flat lawns, but many of the components are not serviceable.

Personally, I'd take an older used Scag, Exmark, or Ferris over a brand new homeowner grade zero turn. Even a 10+ year old Scag or Exmark will outlast a brand new homeowner zero turn. You can literally feel the build quality difference when operating the machine, and they are designed to be serviceable and provide thousands of hours of commercial service.

My personal mower is a 1998 Exmark 48" walk-behind mower with a stand-on sulky. It likely has thousands of hours on it, I bought it used, and use it weekly on 2+ acres.

Most people love their zero turns. In most cases they are stepping up to a larger, more powerful mower so mowing times should be reduced. I mowed 1 1/2 acres with a Hustler 54" zero turn for a while and then got a John Deere X590 with a 54" deck. To me it seems the John Deere X590 is so much easier to use with power steering and a smooth ride. Not so hectic, no more sliding around, and much more versatile. Mowing time is virtually the same.

20230925_141804.jpg

I started out looking, with requirements very similar to yours.

Our property is only 1.1 acres total, so the total amount of grass to mow is obviously less than that.

I started out only wanting to spend $3-4K, but then quickly realized that mowers in that price range aren’t all that great (some are better than others).

Ended up deciding after some looking around that I at least wanted a Kawasaki engine, fully fabricated deck (this one is 11GA), and fully serviceable transaxles (this has ZT-2800’s, which is the smallest/lowest-priced transaxle Hydro-Gear sells that is fully serviceable, which means, fill port, drain port, and replaceable spin-on filter). Incidentally their ZT-2200 is now serviceable (has fill & drain port), but no filter. I think that’s what comes installed on the model just below mine (ZT/X). I think the entry-level transaxles (EZT?) are still non-serviceable without removing them completely.

In Sept 2022, I ended up getting a new 2022 Gravely ZT/XL 42” with Kawasaki FR651V (21.5 HP). Went 42” because the property we bought has a chain link fence with a narrow gate, and I didn’t want to mess with having it widened, plus, we have a ditch going around the front and side yards that I’m able to mow a lot of with the 42”, but something larger probably wouldn’t work too well.

I did a lot of research, and I did not find a comparable model from another manufacturer that offered all the features that the Gravely ZT/XL does. It seemed like one other manufacturer had something similar, but had only two blades instead of three.

The spindles are sealed.

It’s rated 7 mph, but I mulch, so, as someone else said, I am probably only mowing at half that speed to get a good cut.

It now has 62 hrs, and I haven’t had to do anything to it aside from changing the oil (went with M1 15W-50).

No complaints! I have no doubt it’ll last for years.

The ZT/XL got several significant upgrades for 2023, including new frame and new deck, and I think it’s an even better deal now.

They list for about $5300. I paid $5000 OTD for my 2022. It is likely that the dealer was willing to sell it for a little bit less, because he knew that the 2023 models would be all new. Of course, I did not know that at the time, and he did not tell me! 😆

If I had all the money in the world, I would probably get a Scag or a Wright!

Nearly same boat. I had some early OOB issues, and my local dealers are not whiz kids, plus Gravely/Ariens kinda cold shouldered me - but they fixed the driveability issue - required cutting sheetmetal, which absolutely floored me.

All that said - I hammer and abuse my Gravely. It doesn't seem to care. I tore off the lawn slicks and put knobs on. BEAST MODE!!!!!

Our property is only 1.1 acres total, so the total amount of grass to mow is obviously less than that.

I started out only wanting to spend $3-4K, but then quickly realized that mowers in that price range aren’t all that great (some are better than others).

Ended up deciding after some looking around that I at least wanted a Kawasaki engine, fully fabricated deck (this one is 11GA), and fully serviceable transaxles (this has ZT-2800’s, which is the smallest/lowest-priced transaxle Hydro-Gear sells that is fully serviceable, which means, fill port, drain port, and replaceable spin-on filter). Incidentally their ZT-2200 is now serviceable (has fill & drain port), but no filter. I think that’s what comes installed on the model just below mine (ZT/X). I think the entry-level transaxles (EZT?) are still non-serviceable without removing them completely.

In Sept 2022, I ended up getting a new 2022 Gravely ZT/XL 42” with Kawasaki FR651V (21.5 HP). Went 42” because the property we bought has a chain link fence with a narrow gate, and I didn’t want to mess with having it widened, plus, we have a ditch going around the front and side yards that I’m able to mow a lot of with the 42”, but something larger probably wouldn’t work too well.

I did a lot of research, and I did not find a comparable model from another manufacturer that offered all the features that the Gravely ZT/XL does. It seemed like one other manufacturer had something similar, but had only two blades instead of three.

The spindles are sealed.

It’s rated 7 mph, but I mulch, so, as someone else said, I am probably only mowing at half that speed to get a good cut.

It now has 62 hrs, and I haven’t had to do anything to it aside from changing the oil (went with M1 15W-50).

No complaints! I have no doubt it’ll last for years.

The ZT/XL got several significant upgrades for 2023, including new frame and new deck, and I think it’s an even better deal now.

They list for about $5300. I paid $5000 OTD for my 2022. It is likely that the dealer was willing to sell it for a little bit less, because he knew that the 2023 models would be all new. Of course, I did not know that at the time, and he did not tell me! 😆

If I had all the money in the world, I would probably get a Scag or a Wright!
Thank you for the feedback. The Gravely XT/XL is on my short list, I watched a couple videos about the 2023 upgrades. I figured a $5K budget because that's what's realistic to get out of big-box store models; weed out the cheap garbage. I don't mind going a little north of that if I get a good deal.

I'd buy used, but every OPE purchase I've ever made new, I still have to this day and none have required any serious work. I do my due diligence before buying. The used ones I've purchased? Quite the opposite. One is torn apart (an early 00's New Holland LS45 [aka Toro Wheelhorse 268-H]) needing a new engine (not long after I bought it). One used machine (long gone) had a bent front axle that wasn't noticeable at purchase. It's just too much of a gamble.

The Ariens Apex is a strong contender and it appears to have the ZT-3100 transmission. Anyone know for sure on this?

Thank you for the feedback. The Gravely XT/XL is on my short list, I watched a couple videos about the 2023 upgrades. I figured a $5K budget because that's what's realistic to get out of big-box store models; weed out the cheap garbage. I don't mind going a little north of that if I get a good deal.

I'd buy used, but every OPE purchase I've ever made new, I still have to this day and none have required any serious work. I do my due diligence before buying. The used ones I've purchased? Quite the opposite. One is torn apart (an early 00's New Holland LS45 [aka Toro Wheelhorse 268-H]) needing a new engine (not long after I bought it). One used machine (long gone) had a bent front axle that wasn't noticeable at purchase. It's just too much of a gamble.

The Ariens Apex is a strong contender and it appears to have the ZT-3100 transmission. Anyone know for sure on this?
It does have the 3100s.

And, from my quick analysis, it seems to be a heck of a lot of mower for the money.

Looks like an even better deal than my Gravely ZT/XL, in terms of what you’re getting for your money. Thicker, deeper deck (10GA vs 11GA), 5.5” deep vs. 4.5”, which will equal a better cut due to better vacuum, and I also like the pin-style height adjustment better than the dial-style of mine.

It’s over 100 lbs heavier, so I don’t think you’ll see any speed increase, despite the upgraded hydros and 1.5-HP extra.

You may want to compare it with the Gravely ZT/HD. I think it’s pretty much the same mower. I’m not sure what all the Gravely includes that the Ariens wouldn’t.

That 4-yr/500-hr warranty is great. I wonder if the Gravely warranty is better.

FYI, the Gravely ZT/HD is probably the most popular zero-turn I see around my area.

I’ve also seen some good discounts on that model from time to time.

I’ve never seen an Ariens dealer. I’ve only seen them at big box stores.

Anybody seen an OPE dealer that actually carries Ariens?

Last edited:
It does have the 3100s.

And, from my quick analysis, it seems to be a heck of a lot of mower for the money.

Looks like an even better deal than my Gravely ZT/XL, in terms of what you’re getting for your money. Thicker, deeper deck (10GA vs 11GA), 5.5” deep vs. 4.5”, which will equal a better cut due to better vacuum, and I also like the pin-style height adjustment better than the dial-style of mine.

It’s over 100 lbs heavier, so I don’t think you’ll see any speed increase, despite the upgraded hydros and 1.5-HP extra.

You may want to compare it with the Gravely ZT/HD. I think it’s pretty much the same mower. I’m not sure what all the Gravely includes that the Ariens wouldn’t.

That 4-yr/500-hr warranty is great. I wonder if the Gravely warranty is better.

FYI, the Gravely ZT/HD is probably the most popular zero-turn I see around my area.

I’ve also seen some good discounts on that model from time to time.

I’ve never seen an Ariens dealer. I’ve only seen them at big box stores.

Anybody seen an OPE dealer that actually carries Ariens?
The machines are very similar between Ariens/Gravely, as the Ariens company owns the Gravely brand. My local dealer is an Ariens/Gravely dealer.

Back