Zero turn experiences?

It does have the 3100s.

And, from my quick analysis, it seems to be a heck of a lot of mower for the money.

Looks like an even better deal than my Gravely ZT/XL, in terms of what you’re getting for your money. Thicker, deeper deck (10GA vs 11GA), 5.5” deep vs. 4.5”, which will equal a better cut due to better vacuum, and I also like the pin-style height adjustment better than the dial-style of mine.

It’s over 100 lbs heavier, so I don’t think you’ll see any speed increase, despite the upgraded hydros and 1.5-HP extra.

You may want to compare it with the Gravely ZT/HD. I think it’s pretty much the same mower. I’m not sure what all the Gravely includes that the Ariens wouldn’t.

That 4-yr/500-hr warranty is great. I wonder if the Gravely warranty is better.

FYI, the Gravely ZT/HD is probably the most popular zero-turn I see around my area.

I’ve also seen some good discounts on that model from time to time.

I’ve never seen an Ariens dealer. I’ve only seen them at big box stores.

Anybody seen an OPE dealer that actually carries Ariens?
My local Gravely dealer carries Ariens mowers.

I once considered having a zero turn. Reasons I didn't do that. 1 the rear tires need good traction to steer it, and can wreck the grass in the process. 2 Not many bagging options with them. 3 always need both hands on the controls. 4 Lack of accessories, blade, cart, de-thatcher etc. 5 Too high of cost. 6 Two transmissions to service or have problems. 7 The normal tractor turns plenty tight, and things like a small stone won't stop it from turning.
The higher end tractor types can be equipped with bigger or more mowers for more acreage.

Now I would like to know why anyone wants another electronic mess, on a small engine, (EFI) to deal with and then the need for a scan tool to trouble shoot said problems, I guess if you can afford a ZT mower you can afford to take it to a shop, if you live close to one.

I wonder when GDI will be another added expense, both at purchase time and then shop time, with all the associated problems like inlet deposit's and oil dilution, on lawn mower engines? 🤣

Last edited:
Not sure these days you can get a carb zero turn that is decent for under 5K. I have a Bob-Cat 46'' with the Kawasaki motor, and it runs well. Kubota sometimes has 0%, and they have some serious mowers, maybe a bit too serious for a non professional.

the only suggestion I have is to get one that has replaceable filters on the Hydro units. Many mower you can buy at the home stores dont have replacable filters, for obvious reasons. Good Luck.

Now I would like to know why anyone wants another electronic mess on a small engine, (EFI) to deal with and then the need for a scan tool to trouble shoot said problems, I guess if you can afford a ZT mower you can afford to take it to a shop, if you live close to one. 🤣
EFI in a small engine is a stupid simple implementation. For EFI to run it needs about 3-4 low cost sensors, a small $10 "computer", and the actual injectors. It would eliminate all the problems with carbs (like if I moved back to Colorado tomorrow) with less emissions and likely lower cost.

The sad thing is there's an incentive to make them hard to work on and require a special tool; it's called money/profit. There's no government mandate for standardization like there was with OBD2 with vehicles. But I'll take a simple EFI engine over a carb any day.

I once considered having a zero turn. Reasons I didn't do that. 1 the rear tires need good traction to steer it, and can wreck the grass in the process. 2 Not many bagging options with them. 3 always need both hands on the controls. 4 Lack of accessories, blade, cart, de-thatcher etc. 5 Too high of cost. 6 Two transmissions to service or have problems. 7 The normal tractor turns plenty tight, and things like a small stone won't stop it from turning.
The higher end tractor types can be equipped with bigger or more mowers for more acreage.

Now I would like to know why anyone wants another electronic mess, on a small engine, (EFI) to deal with and then the need for a scan tool to trouble shoot said problems, I guess if you can afford a ZT mower you can afford to take it to a shop, if you live close to one.

I wonder when GDI will be another added expense, both at purchase time and then shop time, with all the associated problems like inlet deposit's and oil dilution, on lawn mower engines? 🤣

I disagree with much of this. I've owned traditional lawn mowers for years and have now owned a ZT since then for almost a decade so I can confidently compare them.

1: you do need traction, "good traction" is found wherever you want to cut. You lose traction in muddy watery conditions but you're not cutting that grass anyway. Wrecking the grass is more a result of turning incorrectly (letting one wheel drag instead of reversing with the other going forward)

2: you only need one bagging option, the one that comes with the mower itself

3: that's not true at all, at least not for mine. I'm constantly one handing it, moving branches with my other or dragging smaller limbs across the property, that includes turning tightly as well (tight enough so that it matches turn radius of regular lawn mowers but I won't get full turn). The levers sit so close together that my one hand can span both and has enough leverage to move them even in opposite directions to turn sharp enough. I don't have small hands, maybe that helps, but I don't have excessively huge mittens either.

4: this one might be partly true, depends on the brand, mine I rigged up a wooden hitch and pull a lawn trailer. It's "designed" in such a way that the hitch will break before any damage to the ZT will occur if I attempt to pull too much weight. It's a weak hitch, I do make sure I don't overload it but this is the same trailer I pulled with my John Deere 345 before so I haven't lost anything.

5: my CC ZT costs far less than replacing it with (say) a traditional John Deere with a similar deck size of 48 inches, equivalent engine hp, and power steering

6: can't say, I've never lost a transmission in any of my mowers

7: the ZT is night and day difference for turning, when you have lots of trees or sharp corners you won't know how bad a lawn mower is until you've driven a ZT for years and have to go back. Everyone says the same thing, ZT cuts your cutting time down by like half (which it did for me as well).

I honestly wouldn’t want an EFI engine on a mower.
+1

If you need significant power for mowing large lawns and a 72"+ mowing deck, sure, or if you mow commercially where fuel efficiency can have a major impact on running costs then EFI makes sense. I wouldn't buy EFI on a homeowner mower, especially with a Chinese engine. A commercial grade Kawasaki or Kohler, maybe, but then you are spending $10k+ on the mower anyway.

I loved my Cub Z-Force w/ a fabricated 44" deck and Kohler Courage 20hp V-twin. It had hydrogear ZT2800 drives with filters. This was a 2010 model. The only issue I had was my property was very hilly so it took it little more finesse in areas, where a conventional riding mower would be more stable.

1nBNCGgl.jpg

I never had a tractor type mower, going directly from self propelled Honda to a zero turn sbout 5 years ago. (it is a small one; only 34 inch deck) Only about an acre of flat ground to cut, though. It is easy to trim close to edges with this. I mulch and use it all through fall and winter to mulch leaves. For that alone it was worth every penny.

My local Gravely dealer carries Ariens mowers.
I reached out to my local Gravely dealer inquiring about an Ariens Apex model. I got a very rude woman on the phone who bluntly said "We are a Gravely/Ariens dealer, but you'll only find Ariens at the box stores." Quite the contradictory statement.

Their website shows the whole Ariens lineup, including this cool model with nice paint job: https://www.wisepowerequipment.com/...-limited-edition-60-kawasaki-991590-29166942b. Sad that I can't actually purchase it.

I reached out to my local Gravely dealer inquiring about an Ariens Apex model. I got a very rude woman on the phone who bluntly said "We are a Gravely/Ariens dealer, but you'll only find Ariens at the box stores." Quite the contradictory statement.

Their website shows the whole Ariens lineup, including this cool model with nice paint job: https://www.wisepowerequipment.com/...-limited-edition-60-kawasaki-991590-29166942b. Sad that I can't actually purchase it.
The whole Gravely takeover by Ariens seems to have soured many people. Very strange at best. Lousy treatment of previous Gravely fans etc

Yeah find another dealer.

I would bet that they have quite a few customers who don't know the difference between equipment telling them that the box stores are cheaper, but still no reason to be rude.

One of my local dealers has a bit higher prices, but they are family owned, and the owner is literally the guy talking to you about purchasing equipment, and answers the phone when people have problems. Very nice family, and I'd pay the slightly higher price every time over the neighboring dealers who make you feel like you are bothering them when you walk in the door.

I loved my Cub Z-Force w/ a fabricated 44" deck and Kohler Courage 20hp V-twin. It had hydrogear ZT2800 drives with filters. This was a 2010 model. The only issue I had was my property was very hilly so it took it little more finesse in areas, where a conventional riding mower would be more stable.

1nBNCGgl.jpg
My first ZTR was a Dixon Estate 5424 (42" deck) that I bought in April 1999. Dealer support was exceptional. In 2007 I wanted something with a wider deck and Dixon was being bought by Husqvarna and the local dealer had retired. I went with a Cub Cadet Commercial Enforcer 54 from another local shop. Absolutely no regrets 17 years later. And the Dixon is still plugging along as well. There in no way I would use anything other than a ZTR- to me they are worth every penny.
1717373151454.jpg

1717373268460.jpg

I gotta say the Dixon doesn’t appear very sturdy, but looks can be deceiving. (Sorry about the cliche) ;)

I've been mowing an 11-acre property with a lot of trees (sticks and stones) for 16 years now, using a 2005 Gravely 48" machine. I also tow trailers around with it, have pulled logs, and otherwise abused it. It's an absolute tank, and I love it. 21hp Kawasaki engine has been trouble free with only oil changes once a year, when I also change the drive fluids and filters.

Take a look at the highest grade of their residential line, or the lowest grade of their commercial line for the best deals.

I gotta say the Dixon doesn’t appear very sturdy, but looks can be deceiving. (Sorry about the cliche) ;)
I had a problem with the single cylinder B&S Intek and Dixon replaced it under warranty with a 19 hp Intek twin. They only asked that I pony up $100 for an upgraded PTO clutch. Aside from that, and an improved PTO switch (cheap and DIY) absolutely no other issues.

I saw that one the other day when your post spurred me to go look at the Ariens site.

Gorgeous lawn mower!

GET IT!

Back