quality of Valvoline ATF-4

Status
Not open for further replies.
just wondering... vrs something like redline ATF+C
.. both full syn.. v 1/2 $$ of redline..

ps: don't flame me
pat.gif

I have not used the Valvoline ATF+4 product but did use Redlines C+ ATF. The Redline C+ has some really cool cutting edge additive chemistry. I used the Redline in my 2001 Dodge Dakota. I changed out the OEM fill at 10,000 miles. I rember my technician at the Dodge Dealership asking my what I used for ATF. I played dumb and told him Chrysler ATF+4 of course! He asked because he noticed that the rear of my transmission was not weeping or leaking. He told me that every single one of these transmissions he has seen all had weeping or leaking rear output seals and mine was nice and dry.

I can also tell you that I noticed that the vechile shifted much better dureing the winter with the Redline C+ATF then with the OEM fluid. With the OEM fluid you could tell a huge difference dureing the winter between cold shifts and warm shifts. The Redline C+ was much more consistent and was not as drastic of a difference between cold shift and warm shift.

I have a UOA of my trany runing C+ on this site!

It should be fine since the requirements of the ATF+4 license are to use a specific additive package and group III base oil (same as the Mopar fluid).

quote:

Originally posted by Brett Miller:
It should be fine since the requirements of the ATF+4 license are to use a specific additive package and group III base oil (same as the Mopar fluid).

Also, Valvoline was an approved blender of the Mopar branded fluid before Chrysler decided to start issuing licenses for non-Mopar branded sales, so they've been making it for quite some time.

quote:

Originally posted by oil&coffee:
just wondering... vrs something like redline ATF+C
.. both full syn.. v 1/2 $$ of redline..

ps: don't flame me
pat.gif

I would go for the real ATF+4. Since Valv is licensed to make it with the +4 label, its meets all their specs.

Valvoline and ExxonMobil are ATF+4 OEM suppliers. I would only expect that the quart bottles that Valvoline sells are perfect for intended usage.

Redline is a boutique oil for those of us that use boutique fluids. I don't care for licenses if the fluid is blended with equivalent or better components. You can't go wrong with it if you can afford it.

Even though its group III based, Valvoline ATF+4 is priced very low when compared to the performance of this fluid. I can't wait to use this in my Ford tranny and xcase. I want something better than MerconV without the expense of Mobil1.

First of all the only real difference between the old 7176 ATF+3 and ATF+4 is the base stock and viscosity improvers. THe friction coeffienct and additive chemistry are much the same. The reason C+ is more expensive is becasue it is a group V base stock not a GIII like all the other ATF+4 products. You also get some really nice additive chemistry that you will not get with the valvoline product. Look at my UOA of this product and you will see. You get what you pay for in some cases and this is one of those cases.

I was telling people about C+ from Redline for a long time! It has been around since ATF+3 came out. Redline developed a fully synthetic version of ATF+3 and then made it better in every way. This is why it is was compatable with ATF+4 since day one. ATF+4 is basicly a semi-synthetic ATF+3.

quote:

ATF+4 is basicly a semi-synthetic ATF+3.

Actually, ATF+4 has improved dynamic friction retention so the fluid may last > 100,000 miles without any shudder or shift problems. In a recent thread by G-Man, the frictional characteristics of ATF+3 will have degraded significantly after 30,000 miles, enough to possibly cause shudder.

So, essentially ..the difference is due to the inherent differences between a semi-synthetic and a dino. i.e. longer resistance to degradation.

Or ..in other words ..there is hardly any operational differences between the two except the longevity of use in service.

or...the difference between a semisynth and a non-synth/dino.

or.....
quote:

ATF+4 is basicly a semi-synthetic ATF+3.

grin.gif

quote:

So, essentially ..the difference is due to the inherent differences between a semi-synthetic and a dino. i.e. longer resistance to degradation.

That, plus the durability of the additive package has also been improved to allow for a longer service interval without shudder or shift problems.

quote:

Or ..in other words ..there is hardly any operational differences between the two except the longevity of use in service.

Correct, which is why ATF+3 can actually work in ATF+4 applications if changed frequently. G-Man proved this was possible when he used Aamco ATF+3 in his 300M for about 6000 miles before he switched back to Valvoline ATF+4.

Time will tell. I put the new Valvoline ATF+4 into my '99 Grand Caravan, which came with ATF+3 when new. About 6K miles on it so far, and the transmission hasn't imploded yet
smile.gif
Now about to hit 150K miles total, shifts like new.

The license ensures the Valvoline ATF+4 is, according to Chrysler, at least as good as the Mopar fluid and your warranty is intact. Is Redline better or worse? I don't know how you can answer that unless you have a fleet of test vehicles and a lot of time.

I have put the valvoline atf 4 in my 2004 dodge cummins 48re tranny and transfer case with no ill affects for the last 8,000 miles.coobie
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by keith:
The license ensures the Valvoline ATF+4 is, according to Chrysler, at least as good as the Mopar fluid and your warranty is intact.

Chrysler's licensing requirements for ATF+4 do more than that. The license ensures that it is the exact same fluid no matter who makes it since it specifies not only the specific ingredients, but the specific approved suppliers of those ingredients.

quote:

Originally posted by bruce381:
Correct for now that is petro Canada GPIII base stock and Infinium additve.
bruce

There are actually three approved base oil suppliers: PetroCanada, SK (Korea), and Motiva (Shell). The only approved additive package is by Lubrizol.

well I learned something new here thought it was infinium or at least they were involved with the design.
I use only RLOP GPIII out here so I'm out of luck I guess for now tho RLOP GPIII is I think one of the best base stocks out there.
bruce

I just dumped the Mopar ATF+4 today and put the Valvoline FS in, and I gotta say I am impressed. Smoother shifting in both my wife's AT and my MT which calls for it. I am a believer, and this is all these two autos will see from now on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back