Quality Multi-Tool Blades

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been doing some renovation work at my rental house and tore up all the flooring to install Lumber Liquidator's premium hardwood vinyl. The nails from the carpet had to be pried out of the concrete foundation. A few of the heads broke off and I thought that I would use my Milwaukee M12 oscillating multi tool to cut off the remaining nail.

I started with a Milwaukee branded metal blade, which didn't do much. Then a Dremel blade, still nothing. Then I switched to a brand new HF metal blade which proceeded to grind all the teeth off and warp. All of this for a nail not much bigger than your average brad.

So I pose the question; who makes decent blades for multi tools that can actually cut something instead of self destructing? Anyone have luck with a certain brand?

PS: My Milwaukee Multi-Tool worked awesome for sanding down spackle on the walls! Way quicker and smoother than a sanding block!

I think you'd be better off with a rotary tool and cut-off wheel.

Even my Dremel would work for a smaller job. A 4" angle grinder with a cut-off wheel would zip through a lot of them.

Grinder?
I used a Dremel (yes, the little one) with a cut-off wheel to grind a notch in a wheel bearing race that stuck on an axle. Still had plenty of the cut-off wheel left after I was done.

Ah, Bandito440 beat me to it.

Thanks, guys.

I don't have a small rotary tool (been looking for an excuse to get one). For the time being I just ended up pounding them further into the concrete, but it wasn't fun.

I'll definitely check out Lenox.

Originally Posted By: SF0059
...A few of the heads broke off and I thought that I would use my Milwaukee M12 oscillating multi tool to cut off the remaining nail.

I started with a Milwaukee branded metal blade, which didn't do much. Then a Dremel blade, still nothing. Then I switched to a brand new HF metal blade which proceeded to grind all the teeth off and warp. All of this for a nail not much bigger than your average brad.

The reason you're having a hard time is because concrete nails are made of hardened steel. So you need a blade even harder than that to cut them.

Come to think of it, they may have been put down with one of those nail guns that shoots .22 blanks.

Yeah a vibrating/reciprocating tool won't cut well on the hardened steel nails as others have said. You need something that's spinning so the heat it generates can help soften the metal a bit.

Never hurts to have a good angle grinder - they have a lot of good uses.

Plus - if you don't have a dremel, this is an awesome excuse to get a new toy.

Either way - you need a cut off wheel and not a blade. You may also be able to get a cutoff wheel you can chuck into a drill since you're probably not doing a huge amount of these...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back