Fein Oscillating Multi-Tool - tips and tricks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
I was browsing HD before a project, and decided to pull the trigger on the Fein oscillating tool kit they sold there. $179 well spent, Made in Germany, not China, and definitely a high quality piece. Ive used it so far for cutting some small pieces of wood where I needed a specific, controlled cut on a small item, and also for some sanding. Ive been really happy and impressed with how it has worked.

I only had one cutting blade, the one that came in the 250 kit. It is sort of a long piece of metal with a slightly wider end that has the serrations on it for cutting. Ive seen some rounded shape blades and lots of other attachments.

So, any tips, tricks, suggested uses where this sort of tool really shines, etc? I was surprised at how fast it made the wood I was cutting (oak) start to smoke from the friction heat.

Also, what is the best way to use these for prescision cuts? Given that they are handheld, Im sure its never going to be a replacement for something on a bench, solidly affixed, but any recommendations for how to get the most out of it?

Thanks!

For a precision cut I like to use a block of waste wood as a guide for the blade ie.
If I'm cutting to a line, I place the edge of my wood block on the line, then slide the MT blade up to the work piece.

Smoking wood is not good, you will soon kill your blade (Blades don't last long anyway) Keep your blade moving so wood chips can clear. Either a back and forth motion or Rocking (this is where the round blades come in)

My favorite use for the tool has been cutting drywall walls for new electrical boxes. I does a very neat and quick job.

Fine Homebuilding recently tested which blades last the longest. Also I've seen articles about various uses for it. Fein's patent recently ran out so now everyone has their version of it.

I can see where one of these would be very useful for removing grout, trimming the bottoms of door casing and flush cutting.

I'll just say that I've been using this thing for various odd jobs recently, particularly since we got our new shed and so I've been putting in some shelves, etc.

Really happy with it, why didn't I buy one sooner?

Wonder if I can somehow make a brake for it and cut long straight lines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back