Quaker State QHP 10w-30 in my VW 2.0 TSI

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's running REALLY fantastic. Coming off RP 15w-40, I'm at 4500 miles. I added 3-4 oz VSOT. QHP is a high moly oil, so the VSOT at least won't clash with anything. It has boron and antimony as well.

Anyway, more power all over the rpms. FASTER cold cranking even at +55f. Definately not just thinner, but slicker. Nicer, smoother sound. I'm pretty surprised and happy that 30 weights seem do able, as I have Edge and GC to go in later.

Anyway, it was a remarkable enough to pst about and here seemed like a good place, with all the 2.0T owners as well as all those reluctant to use unspeced oil in the in Euro cars.

I plan on 3 months 3k until the Edge goes in, then 4 months, 3x a year with a different visc oil ever season. 10cSt Edge for winter, 14cSt Syntec for summer and 12cSt GC for fall.

AJ, I am intrigued.
This oil is way outside of VW's requirements, yet you use it with confidence in an engine known to be hard on oil, and known for sludge.
Please provide some details as to how you deemed this a suitable oil.
I know that you aren't running this in your new VW without having considered the consequences.
Are you counting on short drain intervals to overcome any shortcomings in the oil?
Also, this oil probably has nothing like as high an HTHS as would the recommended oils.
Does this matter?

A few things come into play.

One thing, I want a throw-away oil for short ocis during break-in. The RP 15w-40 has glitter in it, after I rinsed out the factory oil w/Delo 30 before installing it.

I take short trips a lot now which means the oil's not often reaching final visc. Also, it won't be in there long enough to get fuel dilluted.

The oil itself is rated A5, which can do the job. I won't be going over 3k miles on it. I consider the 2.9cP to be adequate based on operating temps and the actual conditions, like ambient fall weather. I will be doing a UOA of the Edge, to see mostly if I can use it again next winter.

I also have SynPower and Valvoline Racing Synth to use, but that conveniently comes in 10w-30 and 20w-50, so I can blend it thicker. After that, 3 jugs of M1 Hi-Miles, one of each visc for winter, summer and fall.

I have a few jugs of QTP 10W-30, nine dollars each on clearance from Wally, which I am tempted to use in the 318i.
I will drain the ARX rinse phase Tection 15W-40 in early October, and will put maybe 1500 more on the car before storing it for the winter. I will then drive the car another 1500 or so in the spring, and then change the oil.
Would this be a reasonable plan?
I would like to try a lighter oil in this thing.

It seems like a decent winter oil for a non-turbo. Moly is a good additive for Euro cars, it always seems to work well. The 10w-30 visc should be no problem for your vehicle at all either.

Believe me, years ago I used to lecture everyone not to use 30 weight in their Euro cars, but reality proved quite different. I was wrong. Blame it on driving style or whatever, the good 30 weight synths do work well. Exception being oil burners, heavily modded cars or sustained high-speed driving/mountains.

I guess since it's my thread, it won't be threadjacking if I post some UOAs to support my contention...

Edge_7500mi_uoa.jpg

blackstone2.jpg

BlackstoneLabsOilReport10-8-08.png

Porsche oil visc guide...

EuroK.gif

btw- 10w-30 and 5w-40 are about the same visc between +20f and +40f, with 10w-30 being thicker below and thinner above that range.

Interesting.
I'm pretty sure that a VAG 1.8T would stress any oil more than would my M42.
The 1.8 BMW makes 140 bhp.
The VW 1.8T makes how much more?
Higher bearing loads for sure, as well as the added heat stress of the turbo itself.
I doubt whether the BMW has higher cam loads, or valvetrain loads in general, than does the VW, either.
The Edge looks pretty good, better than I would have anticipated in this application.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Interesting.
I'm pretty sure that a VAG 1.8T would stress any oil more than would my M42.
The 1.8 BMW makes 140 bhp.
The VW 1.8T makes how much more?
Higher bearing loads for sure, as well as the added heat stress of the turbo itself.
I doubt whether the BMW has higher cam loads, or valvetrain loads in general, than does the VW, either.
The Edge looks pretty good, better than I would have anticipated in this application.

There are several different 1.8Ts depending: 150, 170, 180, 225 BHP.

This is way OT, but that I didn't know.
So the 1.8T ranges from something that wouldn't threaten a stick four cylinder Accord to something that would eat most any Honda, at least in the lighter VWs?
I always assumed that all of the Ts were pretty strong.
Silly me.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
This is way OT, but that I didn't know.
So the 1.8T ranges from something that wouldn't threaten a stick four cylinder Accord to something that would eat most any Honda, at least in the lighter VWs?
I always assumed that all of the Ts were pretty strong.
Silly me.

The 225 BHP 1.8T was only in the Audi TT, IIRC. The 180 BHP 1.8T was in the later VWs (stage 1 tune takes it to 220 HP or so), the 150 in the earlier VWs. The 170 was in some Audis.

400hp from a "stock" 1.8t is doable with a K04 or GT3RS turbo and an exhaust. My 2.0 TSI is APR flashed to 254hp / 300ft-lbs on 93 but I also have a 100 octane programme that does 330+ft-lbs.

I know I'm rolling the dice with the Edge, but if it's not a decent UOA I'll go with GC for next winter instead of Edge again.

For now, lighter oil seems good with a brand new engine as well.

If it makes anyone feel better about QTP/QHP, I got confirmation from QS customer rep that it is the same oil as new QS UD, all the specs, inc Dexos and A5 and GM 4718M apply.

You mean Shell just changed the name for marketing reasons?
Surely not!
Anyway, I cannot find HTHS numbers for this oil anywhere.
I did try Shell's global site, and the Product Data Sheets it has are woefully outdated (with Penzane, for example).
I am thinking it should be around 3.2, since the QTP 10W-30 is labeled in the API donut as "energy conserving", and it claims to meet GF-4. It is surely not high enough for A3.
Anyway, if anyone has found a good PDS for UD, I'd be happy to hear about it.
Also, the 140K 1.8T Audi appears to have done very well on Edge.

Yep. HT/HS should be 2.9cP. Aren't most 30s exactly that?

Interesting that it's Energy Conserving because it is SO MUCH slicker than the RP 15w-40. I was explaining on VWVortex and was at a loss to attribute the big difference to just the reduced visc, the FM dose in it must be large. I am very pleased...for $9!

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
A few things come into play.
I take short trips a lot now which means the oil's not often reaching final visc. Also, it won't be in there long enough to get fuel dilluted.

But since you are making a lot of short trips, wouldn't a 0w-30 be better than a 10w-30? It seems to me the 10w-30 would be way too thick for most of the time you are driving the car.

Yes and no. I understand your assertion completely but have had good luck with 10w-30s in general in terms of overall smoothness. I also have 3 jugs of this QTP plus 4q of 5w-30, along with a TON of other oils, so I have to balance the needs of my stash.

This is basically a throw-away oil too, I'm only doing 3 months, likely no more than 3k miles. It's intended to keep flushing out the copious break-in debris. Hopefully, an added benefit of 10w-30 is some shear resistance and even maybe tolerate a little fuel.

I have some M1 0w-30 SL that I would normally use, but this is the way I went. The M1 is too good for this and what I have will go in the wife's Astra for 6 months x2 changes.

On that subject, I'll enumerate the oils I intend to use going forward, just for the record.

QTP 10w-30

Edge 5w-30/10w-30 (fresh filter for a UOA)
Syntec 5w-40 (dealer change)
Green GC

Edge
Syntec
GC

Valvoline Racing Synth 10w-30/20w-50 blended to taste
Valvoline Racing Synth 10w-30/20w-50 blended to taste
Valvoline SynPower/Racing 5w-30/10w-30 blended to taste

M1 5w-30 HM
M1 10w-40 HM
M1 10w-30 HM

Ultra 5w-30/5w-40
Ultra 10w-30/5w-40
Ultra 5w-40

This is the plan unless I get an itch to skip the Valvoline Racing.

I cycle at 4 months the thinnest oil for winter to the thickest for summer to a mid-weight for fall.

Also, if my Edge UOA is not pretty, I'll switch up and use GC for the next winter.

I'm getting some killer mpg right now. I'll post the number when it is calculated.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
I'm getting some killer mpg right now. I'll post the number when it is calculated.

The best MPG my '05 Accord was with Quaker State HP 5-30. It also ran very smooth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back