GC in my '06 Honda/Acura: Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buster,

I'd say he's mathematically challenged...
wink.gif

TS

My winter oil is M1 0w-30 w/ 1 q of 0w-20, if there is an improvement, I'd be surprised. I did the math, and shown my work too...what more can I do? The fact I get 31+ mpg blasting around is notable in itself.

quote:

Originally posted by Auto-Union:
Mileage hit? I feel like my records reflect no mpg hit...I mentioned that, yes? Generally, 31.5, which is exactly or slightly better than with Havoline 5w-20.

Your engine is still breaking in. Try 5w-20 now (or next summer) and see if it goes back down or stays the same. It might go even higher than with GC now. There are too many variables going on to be sure yet.

With that said, I'd use up the stash if I was you but just don't be convinced that you wouldn't be getting even better mpg with 20wt oil.

quote:

Originally posted by Auto-Union:
My winter oil is M1 0w-30 w/ 1 q of 0w-20, if there is an improvement, I'd be surprised. I did the math, and shown my work too...what more can I do? The fact I get 31+ mpg blasting around is notable in itself.

I believe your data, I just don't believe you have enough yet. You may or may not learn something when you switch this winter but colder weather (and possibly different gas additives) can hurt mpg also, not to mention you aren't running a 20wt oil either even if it is thinner. A fair comparison would be running 20 wt. next summer as a test since conditions will be more similar.

As long as you're happy, thats all that matters.
smile.gif

31.7 mpg this tank. I just picked up 5q of Havoline 5w-20 w/a Duralast filter for $11 on AZ special. The miles I'm putting on my car are insane 3k last month and I'll be past 10k on the GC before Dec when I wanted to use the Mobil 1, so in goes the Havoline again, for a 2 month run. We shall see, but I don't expect a change.

Your engine is breaking in nicely. Now try the 20wt again and you will see great fuel efficiency.

quote:

Originally posted by burnout:
Not sure if this helps, but I dynoed my 3.5L honda V6 on GC (advertised 250hp) and got 217FWHP.

What octane gas were you using? There's documented HP gains using higher octane gas (91 vs 87) on these engines over at the AcuraMDX forums.

I found my tires to be low, at 28/26 cold because I last filled them while hot. I pumped them up 2lb/in2 past what I normally run them, at 34/32 now. I have to travel again on Monday, so we'll see. My driving style is pretty efficient, but I'll redline and burn some Karma once or twice a trip. I run about 10 over speed limit and about 80-85 hwy, as fast as 100+. 31-32 mpg is about as good as any decent car can deliver, afaik. I like my car, but still dig the Accord Coupe'. If I had it to do-over???

Wierd, I got a tank of super and drove a lil zippier than normal and this was my result-

150 miles
4.25 gallons

35.3 mpg?

I put about 7k on Green GC in my 04 Honda Civic Si (same k20a3 engine as your car) and just recently switched back to Mobil 1 5w-30 and my gas mileage averages around the same... so you arent alone when it comes to the GC not making a difference on fuel economy...

quote:

Originally posted by teambeechstreet:
I put about 7k on Green GC in my 04 Honda Civic Si (same k20a3 engine as your car) and just recently switched back to Mobil 1 5w-30 and my gas mileage averages around the same... so you arent alone when it comes to the GC not making a difference on fuel economy...

GC is just a little thicker than Mobil 1 5w-30. The question is, what is the mpg difference between GC and 5w-20, not GC and 5w-30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back