GC in my '06 Honda/Acura: Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Auto-Union:
404 miles / 12.8 gallons = no placebo effect.

What that is, is one tankful. Keep an accurate record for 30+ tankfuls like I did, then you have some meaningful data. Better yet, keep records between max-min temp points of your climate.

You can't use mfg hp rating as a starting point either. Gimme some slack guys, I'm working on tank 2! If I stay over 30mpg, I'm happy.

I wonder how similar the GM 2.2L ecotec and the 4 cyl Honda Accord/Civic engines are. I believe both are DOHC right? Sorry not an engineer/mechanic here.
tongue.gif

I've recorded same if not better MPG when switching to GC Gold in my 2.2L. Startups were noticably quieter and reving was incredibly smoother.
tongue.gif

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
The "pumping losses" associated with a thicker oil increase at high rpms. So using a 3.5 Cp (HT/HS viscosity) 30wt oil, vs a 2.7 Cp, xw-20 will make a difference in something like a Honda. If you had a pushrod V-8 that cruised @ 2000 rpms, it would hardly be noticable.

TS

I second that... in my 98 S10 ZR2 with the 4.3L v6, which cruises at 2000 RPM at 70 MPH, there has been no difference using GC.

JMH

quote:

Originally posted by OriginHacker21:
I wonder how similar the GM 2.2L ecotec and the 4 cyl Honda Accord/Civic engines are. I believe both are DOHC right? Sorry not an engineer/mechanic here.
tongue.gif

I've recorded same if not better MPG when switching to GC Gold in my 2.2L. Startups were noticably quieter and reving was incredibly smoother.
tongue.gif

My saab 9-3 uses the same block as your 2.2. Sure, its a 2.0L turbo, but some things mustbe the same...

OE oil was elf excellium, which is a very light 30wt. Due to the lack of availability of good GM-LL-025-A oils, I chose M1. No difference in operation or operational economy. Now that I note that GC is Gm-LL-025-A spec, Ill likely use that once free maintenance (which is M1 0w-40) is up. I cant say if there is any difference, but I think Id prefer the GC...

JMH

31.4 mpg this time with a bunch of city driving as well as 100mph runs. I cruise at 80.

Then either your engine is a freak, or something else has changed: gasoline, your driving habits, higher air pressure in the tires, engine more broken-in, etc.

30.4 with constant a/c and some very hurried interstate driving. As far as I am concerned, mpg is a non-issue. Performance seems a bit better. Driving is overall much more pleasant. For winter, I'll be switching to M1 0w-30 with 1q of 0w-20, so I'll really get a feeling for the lower visc then. GC is just SO much smoother than the Havoline Synth and 5w-20 I previously used. There is no doubt that I will be using the GC 4 months, 2x a year from Apr-Nov. That's easily 10k in 4 months.

As I mentioned before, it's great oil, use it if you want. I'm only providing a counterpoint to prevent owners of new Honda engines from going on a tri-state GC hunt because they read it increases fuel economy when several others here have tried it and experienced just the opposite. It just doesn't make sense that you could go from a 8.6 cSt oil to a 12.1 cSt oil in a new and tight Honda engine of current design and experience any increase in fuel economy. Further, the links above provide evidence that using what spec'd provides all the protection one needs for these engines.

All I'm saying is there's, for me, no or a not-signifigant penalty for using GC in this engine. I will be doing 4/ month 10k intervals, so I want an oil that will be up to the challenge, and I have it sitting right here.

Mileage hit? I feel like my records reflect no mpg hit...I mentioned that, yes? Generally, 31.5, which is exactly or slightly better than with Havoline 5w-20.

I really don't understand how a 12cSt oil can improve gas mileage over a 8.6cSt oil. Doesn't make any sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back