Quaker State 10W-30 OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: PurplDodge
I dobut that the oil in this motor has ever been changed (The filter is faded!), so it is a welcome addition! I would just like some suggestions on some good synthetics to put in this air-cooled beast!

That is a lot of hours with no oil change. I'm sure there had to be some used oil but given did the owner ever top the oil off? Seems like this is surreal.

Actually I've seen some who didn't care about changing oil or the filter itself...just top off. The engine had excessive heat and the oil was so dirty with so much junk in it the compression was not the same. Oil and filter were left on for over 6 years.

If your engine is still running I'd run a two quick run with dino oil. Also how much life you got on this engine is questionable. I'd stick with a cheaper HDEO rather then using a more expensive synthetic oil and run till engine dies. Given the choice a 30wt would be more ideal than a 10w-30 but you may need to step up to a 40 wt.

Originally Posted By: Mamala Bay
...If you test an engine using both oils a 5w-40 versus a 30wt, the 30wt will run cooler and cool down quicker than a 5w-40.

Again, I would really like to see data to support that. OTOH, my 5w40 recommendations do not guarantee a longer engine life either. I base that on commercial equipment users I've dealt with that saw much longer engine life with HDEOs in the 40wt range over 30wts. In the end, there's a lot more variables aside from the oil being used.

Joel

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JTK
...If you test an engine using both oils a 5w-40 versus a 30wt, the 30wt will run cooler and cool down quicker than a 5w-40.

Again, I would really like to see data to support that. OTOH, my 5w40 recommendations do not guarantee a longer engine life either. I base that on commercial equipment users I've dealt with that saw much longer engine life with HDEOs in the 40wt range over 30wts. In the end, there's a lot more variables aside from the oil being used.

Joel

Given what the market offers the Rotella 5w-40 and Mobil Delvac 5w-40 are readily available. How many HDEO synthetic 30wt are available. Commercial users will tend to buy(quality) a synthetic oil HDEO which is readily available a 5w-40.

I did try the Mobil 5w-40(T&SUV) it did produce more heat during it's entire OCI. And also it took longer to cool down and this was comparing to the Delo 400 30 wt. I'm anal ... as heat produces carbon buildup as this is a carb system without water cooling but an air cooling. I try to compromise with less heat and also wear protection.

Originally Posted By: JTK

Joel

Like I said earlier the Rotella HDEO 5w-40 should serve you well. Small engines will never be perfect but one needs to compromise what he has.

Like I said earlier the Rotella HDEO 5w-40 should serve you well. Small engines will never be perfect but one needs to compromise what he has.

I'm with you MB. There's no oil that's going to cover everyone's needs to a "T". IMO, that's why manufacturers spec a 30wt variant. It's safe ground for a large range of conditions. Not the best for all, but covers most.

Joel

Originally Posted By: PurplDodge
I dobut that the oil in this motor has ever been changed (The filter is faded!), so it is a welcome addition! I would just like some suggestions on some good synthetics to put in this air-cooled beast!

That is a lot of hours with no oil change. I'm sure there had to be some used oil but given did the owner ever top the oil off? Seems like this is surreal.

Actually I've seen some who didn't care about changing oil or the filter itself...just top off. The engine had excessive heat and the oil was so dirty with so much junk in it the compression was not the same. Oil and filter were left on for over 6 years.

If your engine is still running I'd run a two quick run with dino oil. Also how much life you got on this engine is questionable. I'd stick with a cheaper HDEO rather then using a more expensive synthetic oil and run till engine dies. Given the choice a 30wt would be more ideal than a 10w-30 but you may need to step up to a 40 wt.

The owner is my grandparents (and still is) my uncle has used it the past 8 years to mow the grass at the apartments. I just have taken over the mowing and as a gearhead noticing what is wrong with the tractor.
The tractor has been repaired (IDK if maintained) by the guy whos sold my family the tractor. Mostly they would take it in to him only if something broke.
I'm guessing that my uncle had been checking and topping off the oil judging by the many empty bottles of NAPA and Briggs and Stratton 30wt. laying around in the garage.

Now for the update:
Tractor is now at 653 hours, and I have yet to change the oil since 617 hours (with the QS and Puro). I'm gonna go down to my Cub Cadet dealer later and get some Kohler "Command" 10W-30 oil and a NAPA Gold 1348 filter at NAPA. I'm also gonna get some Valvoline SynPower 5W-30 for the hydro trans. I'm pretty sure that it is low on oil because of the really loud wine it makes. And also getting a filter from Ariens for it. Mixing new Synthetic oil with old conventional oil shouldnt be bad, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back