QSUD vs Mobil 1 AFE 0W20

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the consensus on this? Is there any noticeable difference, preferences amongst the BITOG community?

Also, does QSUD have a higher moly content?

Oil is pretty much oil at any given price point. What made you pick the two?

I always leaned toward the QSUD for their price but recently changed brands because just like Pennzoil their jugs leak and are not secured with an inner seal..

I have used M1 0-20AFE for several years now in both Fords with great results. No leaking, very clean engines, no sign of engine wear, and all at 10K OCIs. What's not to like.

Originally Posted By: SubieMovie

I think so.

One is meant for a long run and one isn't. Choose based on how long you want your OCI to be. If only going 6-7K miles, QSUD is your ticket, if you want to extend out to 10K then mobile or castol edge gold would be your ticket. Even Pennz Platinum Plus would take you to 10K. So you have more than two options. Everyone is going to have a preference, me I personally don't like mobil over some of the other oils but I'd use it and not bat an eye afterwards.

No doubt in mind that QSUD 0W-20 is a fine oil. It's usually a couple bucks cheaper per 5 quart jug vs M1 (at Walmart). M1 AFE 0W-20 does have a slight advantage over QSUD 0W-20 at very cold temps (MRV @ -40ºC of 9200 for M1 compared to MRV @ -40ºC of 15,000 for QSUD).

Originally Posted By: jaynissan12
One is meant for a long run and one isn't. Choose based on how long you want your OCI to be. If only going 6-7K miles, QSUD is your ticket, if you want to extend out to 10K then mobile or castol edge gold would be your ticket. Even Pennz Platinum Plus would take you to 10K. So you have more than two options. Everyone is going to have a preference, me I personally don't like mobil over some of the other oils but I'd use it and not bat an eye afterwards.

This isn't actually the case.
Reasonable OCI length has more to do with the engine and how its used than it does the oil.
The guy doing 10K drains on two cars with M1 AFE also puts a lot of miles on both, just as an example, so likely does a lot of miles per start.
If it took him a couple of years to hit that 10K, then that might not be a reasonable drain interval based upon fewer miles per start.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

Reasonable OCI length has more to do with the engine and how its used than it does the oil.
The guy doing 10K drains on two cars with M1 AFE also puts a lot of miles on both, just as an example, so likely does a lot of miles per start.
If it took him a couple of years to hit that 10K, then that might not be a reasonable drain interval based upon fewer miles per start.

I'm the guy. The Fusion dos get a lot of hwy miles 60% to 40&. However the Focus gets 75% local.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

Its both, obviously things need to be reasonable but as long as he is driving it and it isn't sitting in a garage while fuel combustion byproducts turn the oil more and more acidic, then he is fine. If it is a daily driver or whatever, yes what I said prior to this message applies. Some oils are made to keep the TBN longer, mobil is one of them.

What is the consensus on this? Is there any noticeable difference, preferences amongst the BITOG community?

I am assuming this is for a Subaru with either a 6,000 or 7,500 OCI and under warranty.

That being said, there will be not significant difference between either oil other than the price. Basically, if you are the '15-current model year with the 6,000 interval, any 0w-20 you can find with be effectively the same. I would actually recommend NAPA's 0w-20 @ $2.99 per qt as a good option or Mag1 0w20 if you can find it.

After your warranty, I would slink back to using a 5w30 or 0w30 personally.

Hello SubieMovie - Quaker State Ultimate Durability Full Synthetic 0W-20 contains twice the amount of Molybdenum Disulfide (Moly) than Mobil 1 AFE Full Synthetic. No leading synthetic motor oil provides better protection from friction-related wear. QSUD also provides excellent lubrication in hot and freezing temperatures. As your engine temperature increases, QSUD's heat-activated viscosity improvers and anti-wear additives kick-in to maintain oil thickness to help extend engine life. Hope this helps! - The Quaker State Team

Originally Posted By: GitaGidwani

Hello SubieMovie - Quaker State Ultimate Durability Full Synthetic 0W-20 contains twice the amount of Molybdenum Disulfide (Moly) than Mobil 1 AFE Full Synthetic. No leading synthetic motor oil provides better protection from friction-related wear. QSUD also provides excellent lubrication in hot and freezing temperatures. As your engine temperature increases, QSUD's heat-activated viscosity improvers and anti-wear additives kick-in to maintain oil thickness to help extend engine life. Hope this helps! - The Quaker State Team

However the Moly M1 oils use is a differant type than QS,I think as Overkill can explain, and doesn't require nearly the PPM.

I've used both oils over the years in my 03' Focus......for several years I used M-1 0w20 AFE.....and then changed over to QSUD 0w20. I found that QSUD seems to "quiet down" my engine (possibly because of the extra Moly)... and I'm very satisfied with its performance.

I'm sure that the M-1 is a quality top-shelf synthetic, but IMO, the QSUD seems to work better for me.

Why do you say that? I'm genuinely curious. M1 EP? Sure, I would understand that statement. I have a 2012 Toyota Highlander that calls for 10K miles OCIs of 0W20. The dealer has done TGMO since new. I recently started changing it myself and use M1 AFE. HOWEVER, I use QSUD 5w30 for my other vehicles on a 7500 miles OCI out of habit.

I only bought M1 because the price was about the same as QSUD at my Walmart and they were out of the 0W20 QSUD anyway. But I would definitely consider using 0W20 QSUD unless there is a good reason not to.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: GitaGidwani

However the Moly M1 oils use is a differant type than QS,I think as Overkill can explain, and doesn't require nearly the PPM.

Yes, if we are comparing tri-nuclear to the "regular" type then it isn't really a fair comparison, as the tri-nuclear type requires far lower treat rates to achieve the same level of performance.

I've seen UOAs and anecdotal comments here and elsewhere that would seem to indicate that QSUD isn't a long drain oil...but obviously that might depend on the application.

That said, I use QSUD because it's not only a good value but it does seem to have a quieting effect ( whether it be the moly or otherwise ) on my engine. I've used M1 in other cars in the past but I'm a firm believer that there CAN be an ideal oil for a particular vehicle whether that involves empirical science or a "butt dyno".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back