QSUD 5W-40 now at Walmart

Mid saps 5w40 is quite rare. VW just came out with a new spec called 511 which fits this criteria. 504 is very similar oil though even though it is 30 grade, it still requires 3.5 HTHS.
I think I was somewhat confused. My old 2006 VW Tdi PD engine called for VW 505.01 spec which was ACEA B4. Best I can remember that had a DPF but of course no DEF system. But then when 507.00, a C3 came out it was backwards compatible with the B4 spec oil in that engine. Throw a Dexos2 vehicle in the mix and it gets more crazy. So I just go with VW 507.00 in all by vehicles now.

You would think the reverse would apply, as these cars all have cats on them. I don’t get it.

I think I was somewhat confused. My old 2006 VW Tdi PD engine called for VW 505.01 spec which was ACEA B4. Best I can remember that had a DPF but of course no DEF system. But then when 507.00, a C3 came out it was backwards compatible with the B4 spec oil in that engine. Throw a Dexos2 vehicle in the mix and it gets more crazy. So I just go with VW 507.00 in all by vehicles now.
Yes, 505.01 is Mid-SAPS.

higher saps is not really bad for cats. Mid saps is better sure, but not a massive difference. Now for carbon build up it is important but especially for particulate filters, mid saps oil is crucial, which is why the new specs are coming out, since GPF's are required in Europe now for most gasoline cars.
And carbon build up is where I’m concerned. GDI and turbo. Not friendly to carbon build up.

It's on the Porsche A40 approval list

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10166908-0001.pdf

Screen Shot 2021-03-09 at 3.14.11 PM.png

edit - meant to post this on the other thread about this oil but I won't delete as it's still relevant.

If question was what is difference between new PPE 5W40 and old:
Old: KV100 12.8, pour point -36.
new, API SP:
KV100: 13.3, pour point -45.

The 2020 data sheet for Quaker State Euro 5W-40 shows it as API SP with 100C viscosity as 13.3 and pour point at -39C.

It may not be exactly the same as the latest PP 5W-40, or it could be errors in the data sheet entry.

I'm itching to try the Motul 8100 X-Clean+ 5W-30, even though they wouldn't really benefit my 2 port-injected, N/A Toyotas much.
I am itching also. WM has 5L jug for $44.45 quite pricey. If I was wasn't loaded with seven 5QT jugs QSUD 5W-30 I got last year at WM for $13.88 I would consider it at least for one OCI and do UOA and see what is this elixir up to. It is a very good oil with low VII (VM's)

I am itching also. WM has 5L jug for $44.45 quite pricey. If I was wasn't loaded with seven 5QT jugs QSUD 5W-30 I got last year at WM for $13.88 I would consider it at least for one OCI and do UOA and see what is this elixir up to. It is a very good oil with low VII (VM's)

That's the problem with a stash, something else comes along that's interesting you want to try and you're already sitting on a bunch of perfectly good oil. :p

That's the problem with a stash, something else comes along that's interesting you want to try and you're already sitting on a bunch of perfectly good oil. :p
You got that right. But it was hard to resist when I saw the price of $13.88 for 5QT jugs of QSUD. On my list now after doing some research since than is Ravenol, Motul and M1ESP but it will have to wait. I don't want to make the stash bigger than it already is. Right now I got enough for 5 OC that's 2 1/2 years.

I’m running into that now. I bought 50+ qts of M1-AP and VME in 0W-20 during the AZ clearance in Nov-Dec 2019. Couldn‘t help myself, especially since, at that time, my fiancée (now wife) drove a Civic that was under factory warranty, and we‘d decided to stick with that viscosity for a while.

Then, somebody hit her and totaled the Civic, and we replaced with the 4Runner, and it demands a more manly oil! LOL...

Still probably going to use up the 0W-20, maybe during cold weather.

M1 Euro (FS?) 0W40 is also about $4 per quart if you buy 12 qt at Wal-Mart. Seems like ~$4/qt is the competing target.

Does this QS has good chunk of moly like other QS? I think M1 has 80 moly.

Back