QSUD 5W-40 now at Walmart

I clicked on the walmart hyper-link. Oil is "Out of stock" and "Available online." ? Huh? That was online! Dichotomy!

Interesting - so this is the same as Penzoil? I remember QS - my dad used to use it in the old cars back in the day.

Interesting - so this is the same as Penzoil? I remember QS - my dad used to use it in the old cars back in the day.

You can check the specs on the respective sites, they may not be exactly the same (the 0w30 LX is but it is bottled in Germany) but very similar. Both QS and Pennzoil are owned by Shell.

Isn't ACEA A3/B4 the high saps stuff? They may not have a C3 offering. Seems like the mid saps formulas are a rarer breed.

Mid saps 5w40 is quite rare. VW just came out with a new spec called 511 which fits this criteria. 504 is very similar oil though even though it is 30 grade, it still requires 3.5 HTHS.

Euro cars still run on thick oils. They can actually make vehicle that has good MPG and use thick oil.
I know. I have 2 of them. It's that the trend is thin, thinner, and thinnest these days. And the new MB 4 cylinders require thin oil. I wonder what the AMG engines recommend?

You would think the reverse would apply, as these cars all have cats on them. I don’t get it.

higher saps is not really bad for cats. Mid saps is better sure, but not a massive difference. Now for carbon build up it is important but especially for particulate filters, mid saps oil is crucial, which is why the new specs are coming out, since GPF's are required in Europe now for most gasoline cars.

I know. I have 2 of them. It's that the trend is thin, thinner, and thinnest these days. And the new MB 4 cylinders require thin oil. I wonder what the AMG engines recommend?
They don't. MB gives you option to run MB229.51, MB229.61 and MB229.71. Actually, as far as I know, they are very specific which oil you can use do get results you want.

Back