Q plus Slick50?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw Quaker state with slick50 added and noticed it had no API service label displayed on the red bottle.
So is this really good oil cause it has additive blended in and does not need to be API certified?

I asked this question a while ago. I don't think it was ever determined that the oil actually contains Slick 50 or that Slick 50 is the "same" Slick 50 of yore...

Originally Posted By: lazaro
I saw Quaker state with slick50 added and noticed it had no API service label displayed on the red bottle.
So is this really good oil cause it has additive blended in and does not need to be API certified?

The idea that an oil has such "good aditives that it does not need to be API certified" is absurd, although we all know were that idea comes from.

Not the same Slick 50. I would stay clear of it anyway.
Blatant and insulting marketing ploy designed to raise bonus money for CEO.

Last edited:
Any thing Slick 50 - run don't walk away! Actually you don't need any additives to your oil if you use a good oil to start.

Quaker State has not added Slick 50 in any of their oils for years.

Check their web site. No talk about Slick 50 in any oil.

Nothing here....

Originally Posted By: crazycrak
doesnt shell make the slick 50 SOLPUS or whatever it is the same Company that makes pennzoil and quakerstate ?

Yes, Slick50 is a brand name of SOPUS (Shell) that also makes Pennzoil and QS oil products, and some other car care products.

However, the Slick50 brand name is not just for the engine additive, but covers a whole line of engine additives, transmission additives, fuel system cleaners, and grease.

From what is listed on their website, only the grease contains PTFE (Teflon), which is the original chemistry that supposedly reduced friction in engines and that was included in the original Slick50 engine additive.
http://www.slick50.com

That oil would likely NOT hurt anything if you were to use it.
No news of anyone having problems traceble to the S/50.
It's not a current product; they stopped putting that in to their oil a couple of years ago.
May be some old stock still around.
A quality current rated oil would be a better choice.
Most of AMSOIL products are API certified either.

The Slick50 sold these days is an oil additive for high mileage cars, so it might show up in QS High Mileage oil. It is not the same Slick50 formula originally introduced that had PTFE (Teflon).

However, I would not use it in a car under warranty unless really needed, because most manufacturers recommend against using separate oil additives. Additive packages that are already in an oil that is API and manufacturer certified is OK for warranty purposes.

It's the same type of additive pack that other HM oils use, the Slick 50 name is just used due to brand recognition amongst the great unwashed. No mention is made of it any longer.

Use it with confidence.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Those bottles of quaker state with the slick50 in them are pretty OLD stock oil.

The new bottles of quaker state do not have slick50 in it.

Maybe, or maybe not. Remember that the old Slick50 formula (PTFE) is no longer used since manufacturers will not provide a warranty to people who used it. The newer Slick50 engine treatment is simply a bunch of additives that are typically put in older engines. These same additives are put in High Mileage Oil (like the red bottle QS).

So the same or very similar Slick50 high mileage additives are still being used in High Mileage QS oil, but they have stopped labeling it as Slick50, probably because there is a negative connotation to Slick50 in many people's minds even though it no longer contains PTFE.

You can't think like a normal person to understand these things, you must try and get into the devious mind of a marketing person.

Quote:
does not need to be API certified?
The idea that an oil has such "good aditives that it does not need to be API certified" is absurd, although we all know were that idea comes from.

So I am standing in Wal Mart the other night looking at this Quaker state oil and I post up a thread about it and I get personally trashed.
21.gif

I am the KOOLAID drinking fool now recommending Quakerstate!
YA thats me!
Anyone else want to belittle me?
Quote:
You can't think like a normal person to understand these things, you must try and get into the devious mind of a marketing person.
Quote:

Nothing here....

I just landed here
50.gif

I have no clue what I am talking
29.gif

I didnt see any bottle of Quakerstate slick50 added in, Im crazy!
crazy2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lazaro
So I am standing in Wal Mart the other night looking at this Quaker state oil and I post up a thread about it and I get personally trashed.
21.gif

You seem to be suffering from paranoia or delusions of grandeur (not sure which one). I was referring to an oil company, not to you.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

Nothing here....

It's on the shelf in my Wal-Mart. And the bottles aren't all that dusty either.

http://news.thomasnet.com/companystory/497517

http://www.ottendistributing.com/quaker_car_lubricant.html

QUAKER STATE Higher Mileage Engine with Slick 50
Said to "Restore Power and Performance in vehicles"

Quaker State has combined two well-respected brands with the launch of the new Quaker State® Higher Mileage Engine with Slick 50. In addition to continuing to help reduce oil consumption from worn or leaky seals and burnoff, this new formulation is specifically engineered to help restore power and performance in vehicles over 75,000 miles. It is the only motor oil on the market containing Slick 50 and provides greater friction reduction than any other higher mileage engine oil Quaker State has developed to date.

"Consumers want a higher mileage motor oil that doesn't just keep the vehicle on the road, but one that also helps improve performance," said Troy Chapman, Quaker State Brand Director. "Quaker State Higher Mileage Engine with Slick 50 is an exciting new product that addresses this dual need by fighting friction to improve power while at the same time it helps reduce oil consumption from worn or leaky seals."

Quaker State created this uniquely packaged motor oil to address the specific needs of higher mileage engines. Quaker State Higher Mileage Engine with Slick 50 can help reduce oil consumption from worn or leaky seals and burn-off, as well as protect engine parts from wear and harmful deposits. In addition it resists oil-related sparkplug fouling and intake valve deposits. The new combination of these two products provides better protection than previous Quaker State Higher Mileage Engine Motor Oil because it produces a lower friction coefficient across engine operating temperatures.

Quaker State sees tremendous opportunity for this type of product because studies show that 64% of vehicles on the road are Higher Mileage (75,000+ miles), but only 13% of those High Mileage vehicles currently use a Higher Mileage oil.1 "We believe that bringing together these two products, as well as educating retailers and installers about all of the technical benefits of Quaker State Higher Mileage Engine with Slick 50 will go a long way in opening up this underserved market," added Chapman.

Quaker State reportedly started to ship Higher Mileage Engine with Slick 50 to retailers and installers in mid-April, 2005

Originally Posted By: tenderloin
http://news.thomasnet.com/companystory/497517

http://www.ottendistributing.com/quaker_car_lubricant.html

QUAKER STATE Higher Mileage Engine with Slick 50
Said to "Restore Power and Performance in vehicles"
Quaker State reportedly started to ship Higher Mileage Engine with Slick 50 to retailers and installers in mid-April, 2005

This is old information. We know that they still put Slick50 "additives" in the new QS High Mileage Motor Oil, but they don't use the Slick50 name anymore on the High Mileage Oil bottle, except when the additives are sold separately as Slick50. All of this is explained in posts above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back