pyroil honda ps fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to the parts store to get some amsoil ps fluid for my wifes honda and they dident carry it. The only honda fluid they had was a honda spec pyroil for $2.99 has anyone used this? Is it any good? It just looked cheap sitting there, I guess I'm a sucker for a fancy bottle.

do you know how much that is at the dealer? or how many bottles I'll need if Im just doin the old turkey baster method?

Originally Posted By: ryland
do you know how much that is at the dealer? or how many bottles I'll need if Im just doin the old turkey baster method?

4.35 per 12oz

I might run by the dealer but the pyroil bottle said honda ps fluid right on it. It wasent a universal it was just for hondas. I wounder who makes the actual honda stuff.

There are several clones of Honda PSF. I've siphoned/refilled with the Pyroil and no issues, and that was several years ago.

I've used Bardahl Honda PSF in the past with good results... As long as its for Hondas you'll be fine. Typical Honda PS system capacity is ~.5 quarts for replacement, ~1.5 quarts on full overhaul.

There's some kind of Honda/Acura dealer cabal in my area that keeps fluid prices artificially inflated. Last time I went to a local parts counter it was $7 for PSF and $9 for ATF-Z1! Was way cheaper to get the Z1 online+shipping and use a compatible PSF.

I bought a few bottles of this stuff when Kmart had it on closeout a few years ago.

I completely drained and refilled our old 98 Civic with Pyroil. I did not notice any differences between both PS fluids and the pump remained quiet as a mouse with Pyroil.

I used Pyroil Honda PSF for my '98 CRV with no issues after a year of usage. It took two bottles of Pyrolil to do my P/S flush and refill.

I too have used Pyroil and Bardahl Honda P/S Fluid without issues. As the matter of fact, I've used them in other non-Honda vehicles that require P/S fluid(not ATF) and the Honda spec P/S fluids have cured noises/whines/groans that other standard P/S fluid did not!

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I too have used Pyroil and Bardahl Honda P/S Fluid without issues. As the matter of fact, I've used them in other non-Honda vehicles that require P/S fluid(not ATF) and the Honda spec P/S fluids have cured noises/whines/groans that other standard P/S fluid did not!

Honda power steering fluid is that good ? My '00 MB E430 makes a light whine when engine get to operating temperature, when the engine is cold it's very quiet.

MB recommends either Dexrom III Trans fluid or MB power steering fluid, it had new MB P/S fluid at 80k miles and it is 102k miles now. Should I flush P/S with Honda P/S ?

Well I dont know about honda psf (why I asked the question) but when I went to the store I was looking for amsoil universal psf. Might want to check the specs but that may work for you. I had a friend use it on his honda that had a loud whine and it made it perfectly quiet.

I might run by the dealer but the pyroil bottle said honda ps fluid right on it. It wasent a universal it was just for hondas. I wounder who makes the actual honda stuff.

Idemitsu Chemical

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Honda power steering fluid is that good ? My '00 MB E430 makes a light whine when engine get to operating temperature, when the engine is cold it's very quiet.

MB recommends either Dexrom III Trans fluid or MB power steering fluid, it had new MB P/S fluid at 80k miles and it is 102k miles now. Should I flush P/S with Honda P/S ?

No, just different viscosity (thicker) and have requirement for detergency compare to regular ATF.

Well I dont know about honda psf (why I asked the question) but when I went to the store I was looking for amsoil universal psf. Might want to check the specs but that may work for you. I had a friend use it on his honda that had a loud whine and it made it perfectly quiet.

When did he start using it and did it leak? That's the typical problem with using non-Honda PSF in a Honda. The visc isn't right and it leaks after a while.

Honda also specs the antifoam and AW requirements of the PSF. It a PSF that is just more betterer then PSF. I guess I'm not the only one using it in non-Honda PS units requiring plain old PSF.

With the Mercedes or any PS that requires Dexron, then a good full synthetic Dexron is what I would use. Because of the 'whine' when warm, I'd look for something thicker to muffle the whine. Maybe try a high temp or high mileage ATF.

BG, Wynns, RP, RL, Ams, Synlube, Neo... have power steering fluids for those that want something other then OE.

I also would use a better ATF in the BENZ P/S system as it specs DEX III. (not P/S fluid).

I've only used the Honda P/S fluid in other makes of vehicles that required P/S fluid as compared to ATF. And I only use ATF in vehicles that require ATF as their P/S fluid.

I couldn't tell anyone wheather or not P/S fluid and ATF are actually similar or the same fluids with different add pks because I don't know! Does anyone here know for a fact if they are similar?

Originally Posted By: PandaBear

When did he start using it and did it leak? That's the typical problem with using non-Honda PSF in a Honda. The visc isn't right and it leaks after a while.

He put it in almost a year ago and hasent leaked to my knowlege. He swears by all amsoil products though. I changed mine yesterday with the pyroil and it's quiet and works. Mine was never bad though. Just made kind of a half second zip noise when really cold in the mornings. Started up this morning and no noise. Thanks to everyone who reccomended the pyroil!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back