Any Honda Owner Used Non- Honda PS Fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: redhat
Yes, I have always added the additive. I have had good results. Perhaps I'd have the same results without it, I do not know.

If you're doing a flush, you don't need tons of fluid, the systems don't hold a huge amount.

On my old Accord I've never used any additive to the PSF and I haven't had any issues at all. The pump is quiet and no leaks that I can see, even after almost 22 years. But, I've only used the Honda fluid not an aftermarket one. And I change out the fluid every few years.

Now I am again tempted to just go and buy Honda PSF, 22 years is a long time and I trust it
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
Now, PS fluid for an 06 Honda Civic EX, can I use CHF11s power steering fluid( left from my ex-Mercedes:)) or ATF or any PS fluid?

Since, I don't have any Honda PS on hand, or should rather stick to Honda one as a cheap insurance? Thanks for any help.

If you're trying to save money by trying a non-OEM fluid then CHF11S is not going to achieve that goal
wink.gif
And doesn't your owner's manual specifically say not to use ATF?

Honda doesn't "make" PS fluid.
What is the spec?

ever since whale oil went away in the late 60's its been inferior garbage petro chemicals.

Cant beat animal esters.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Honda doesn't "make" PS fluid.
What is the spec?

ever since whale oil went away in the late 60's its been inferior garbage petro chemicals.

Cant beat animal esters.

The "spec" is the words "Honda Genuine" on the label. Past that Honda is not saying.

You may not like that and you may go off on some tangent about whales, but that is the answer.

honda_psf_1l.jpg

Strokes for folks. The longest personal anecdote Bardahl & Prestone for Honda PSF is from a 2001 Civic original pump, occasional turkey baster exchange method but no obsessed schedule. That vehicle has 285k+ miles. So when comes to PSF for Hondas I maintain, I get no warm fuzzies from using Honda psf or need to visit the dealer and pay more. That said, everyone has their own peace of mind level.

Most important point 'ime', using a PSF stated for Honda/Acura like those mentioned.

I usually do a full fluid exchange on Honda, its very easy to do. I don't have time or patience for messing around around with turkey basters its like doing an oil change one qt at a time and use Honda fluid only.
I dont like aftermarket fluids here is one of the reasons (from Prestone Asian formula)..

Quote:
Seal conditioners to protect and rejuvenate seals.

AKA seal swellers, this is the last thing you want in a Honda for anything more than a hail Mary to temporarily stop weeping, the racks and pumps are notorious.

https://prestone.com/products?detail=AS269Y

Originally Posted By: Trav
I usually do a full fluid exchange on Honda, its very easy to do. I don't have time or patience for messing around around with turkey basters its like doing an oil change one qt at a time and use Honda fluid only.
I dont like aftermarket fluids here is one of the reasons (from Prestone Asian formula)..

Quote:
Seal conditioners to protect and rejuvenate seals.

AKA seal swellers, this is the last thing you want in a Honda for anything more than a hail Mary to temporarily stop weeping, the racks and pumps are notorious.

https://prestone.com/products?detail=AS269Y

Thanks Trav, do you have any preferred method or have a video which will be exactly same as you would do?

I plan to do it this weekend, it's finally getting bit nicer
smile.gif

I don't have a video but I can tell you how to do it. You will need a couple of things..
A longer piece of clear plastic tubing from HD or hardware store (measure the O.D of the return hose) and get one that fits snugly over it and a rubber stopper or plastic cap (also from HD) to plug/cover the return port on the reservoir.

Draw some fluid from the reservoir and remove the return line.

Plug/cap off the return port on the reservoir and put the hose over the return line.

Put the other end of the hose in a container, I usually put it on the ground.

Fill the reservoir and have an assistant start the engine, keep filling the reservoir with new fluid till it comes out of the return line the same color as its going in (you can see it through the clear plastic tubing).

Once it looks the same stop filling and stop the engine then reconnect the return hose and adjust the fluid level.

Have a couple of bottles open and ready to go, if it runs dry stop the engine and refill then continue. Once you do it you will be able to do it again in 15 min.
The line on the top of the pump with 2x10mm head bolts is the feed line the other is the return.

I went kinda crazy with my last flush but it worked really well. I did a lot of what Trav has suggested.

Return line, clear tubing with hose clamp into a bucket.

I took a vinyl glove and used rubber bands to secure that over the return line nipple from the PS bottle. Then I took a spill free funnel, with some electrical tape and made it so the funnel securely was placed in the top fill hole of the PS bottle. I filled up the reservoir and put probably 5-6 bottles of PS fluid in the funnel. Had a friend start the car and go lock to lock until it ran clear. PS pump never went dry and fluid was completely flushed.

That's pretty neat and impressive Trav and redhat, but definitely requires at least 5-6 PS bottles.

Need to get them before I start it
smile.gif

You need around a qt total but having a little extra cant hurt.

Thanks, curious about another thing.

What if I do similar like an ATF, drain and fill 3x, say a week or so apart from PS reservoir ONLY. Would that be similar too?

I have previously seen an aftermarket blender / manufacturer's PDS on generic vs Honda / Acura PSF, and the difference is the Honda fluid is thicker.

As others said the aftermarket fluid may not flow as well as the genuine Honda stuff and it may whine in cold weather (Honda stuff is at least a syn blend from what I heard). The common experience on the internet is using non Honda type fluid in a Honda will cause leak in the PS system.

I've only changed it once at 150k miles, you don't need to change it very often but you should use the right fluid.

What if I do similar like an ATF, drain and fill 3x, say a week or so apart from PS reservoir ONLY. Would that be similar too?

For me its a waste of time, fluid and effort. To get it anywhere near a full exchange you would probably have to do it 8-10 times.

For me its a waste of time, fluid and effort. To get it anywhere near a full exchange you would probably have to do it 8-10 times.

Makes sense, is it same approach as you advised earlier?

Yes you can do it that way with the engine off, raising the front wheels slightly will make it easier but not necessary, like I said I have someone start the engine without turning the wheels but either way will get the bulk of the old fluid out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back