Any Honda Owner Used Non- Honda PS Fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 03 Element with 225k on it. Been running house brand ps fluid since it had 123k on it. Shhhhhhhhhh, the car doesn't know the difference. It has also had non honda transmission fluids in it since the same 123k. Also, car doesn't know the difference. Runs and drives like a new one.

Originally Posted By: Sealbilly
I have a 03 Element with 225k on it. Been running house brand ps fluid since it had 123k on it. Shhhhhhhhhh, the car doesn't know the difference. It has also had non honda transmission fluids in it since the same 123k. Also, car doesn't know the difference. Runs and drives like a new one.

Lol. I wouldn't be so up front about it, you don't want your car finding this out. It might be quietly browsing BITOG at night
lol.gif

I swapped the old o-ring out yesterday after it came in the mail early (looks approximately like this: O ) and am maybe 3 or 4 inches shy of the fill line on the fluid reservoir now (mostly because I took the wrong hose off first). The fluid I ordered isn't going to be in for approximately a week, but I know I've seen this around in the stores. I was surprised how cheap it was.

Originally Posted By: Matagonka
I use Prestone for Honda

I filled up my power steering with soy sauce and it drove itself to a Chinese restaurant!
crazy2.gif

I bought a few Honda bottles from Amazon or somewhere. I also picked up an Oreilly Honda house brand quart bottle. Worked great.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I usually do a full fluid exchange on Honda, its very easy to do. I don't have time or patience for messing around around with turkey basters its like doing an oil change one qt at a time and use Honda fluid only.
I dont like aftermarket fluids here is one of the reasons (from Prestone Asian formula)..

Quote:
Seal conditioners to protect and rejuvenate seals.

AKA seal swellers, this is the last thing you want in a Honda for anything more than a hail Mary to temporarily stop weeping, the racks and pumps are notorious.

https://prestone.com/products?detail=AS269Y

I'm going to argue, just for the sake of arguing (mostly because I dont have any data). I don't think the Honda PS fluid is particularly good for seals, etc. If it were, then they would not have TSB 13-016 to correct the seal failure in PS pumps that were <2 years old (pub in 2013, for 2011 and 2012 model years). This TSB has since been updated to include newer cars, too, but now they replace the entire pump. Now, I'm not arguing that other fluids, such as the Lucas I am using, are better, but I certainly haven't had o-ring failure in the 2+ years of using it in my Honda. I just don't see any reason to stick to the Honda PS fluid.

Last edited:
Defective seals are defective seals, if the rack seals were going out also I might agree with you but apparently they are not.
From what I can tell its a simple supplier side failure.

Originally Posted By: onetwoothreee

orange is the new I'm guessing?

thanks guys - I can't believe I'm just finding this - on mine you can actually see the air entering the reservoir from the return side. I was thinking the rack and pinion assembly was cooked.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Defective seals are defective seals, if the rack seals were going out also I might agree with you but apparently they are not.
From what I can tell its a simple supplier side failure.

Good point.

Has anyone used Hondapartsdeals.com for anything? They are showing the PS fluid for $3.18, but have no idea what shipping is...

Nevermind, cheapest shipping option is $14.84.

Ouch.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mjk
Has anyone used Hondapartsdeals.com for anything? They are showing the PS fluid for $3.18, but have no idea what shipping is...

Nevermind, cheapest shipping option is $14.84.

Ouch.
I've used them. I've also used BernardiParts. Both of those are the only online dealerships I buy parts for my Honda's (Bernardi 90% of the time).
The shipping at most online dealerships like this is steep, you have to really be buying a lot to justify it. I buy a bunch of fluid and maintenance parts (like oil filters) in advance so I'm not paying shipping every single time I want a oil filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back