Any Honda Owner Used Non- Honda PS Fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use only Honda PS fluid in our MDX. Also, the reservoir has a fine mesh screen filter on the bottom. Replacing fluid without cleaning this screen is akin to changing oil but not the oil filter. If your fluid is dirty enough to require a complete flush, chances are good the screen needs cleaning. A plugged screen is much more likely to take out your pump than dirty fluid. Depending on how bad it is, it may be easier to simply replace the reservoir.

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
I use Carquest Honda power steering fluid . Advance auto have it on sale $2.15 a bottle , I bought 2 bottle .

First I've heard of this, just checked it out at AAP online. Good reviews there fwtw. Have to look at it the next time I'm in an AAP. Thanks for the heads up.

As for Prestone for Honda/Acura PSF I use, unlike the aside mentioned and non-H/A specific full synthetic Prestone "Asian" PSF, no notation of seal conditioners on the bottle or elsewhere.

Quote:
.....Also, the reservoir has a fine mesh screen filter on the bottom.....

Done turkey baster method on a couple Honda and never seen a screen or notation of such before. Not saying it's not there, just first time seeing notation.

Otoh, Tacoma has a screen part way down that can't be seen because reservoir is a metal can. Requires some extra care when doing turkey baster evacuation.

Last edited:
^^Second link more illuminating for mentioned screen. Never had the foaming condition in first link or apparently a screen in the condition shown in the second. That said, could see where if it got that bad a new res could be required. Suppose that's where PSF preventative maintenance could be a mitigating factor.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
ever since whale oil went away in the late 60's its been inferior garbage petro chemicals.

Cant beat animal esters.

ARCO, to be brutally honest, does it really matter? In all the years of the taxis, I still have never changed a power steering pump in my life, and that's including taxis that have hit 1,000,000 km and personal vehicles that exceeded 500,000 km. I've had leaks I've fixed. I've had a power steering hose blow off on the old LTD, and the pump still ran another 200,000 km before the car got totalled, and that was the only "flush" that power steering system ever had.

Maverick: There's nothing wrong with a bit of a turkey baster type exchange. Trav is outlining the most effective procedure, but of course, he has the shop and the help, and the need to get things done quickly, properly, definitively, and efficiently. I use a series of reservoir exchanges because I have the time, and am usually working alone. However, if I went to Trav's shop to ask him to do that for me, he'd probably tell me to see a psychiatrist. And, the amount of fluid he'd have to go through if he had to repeat that on many customers's vehicles would be astronomical. I would characterise the reservoir flush as "better than nothing." It's also preferable because I'm messy enough in the shop to not be doing Trav's procedure unless I relegated myself to be the assistant.
wink.gif

I have used non-honda fluid in hondas before. after a few years, the internal stiction of the rack was reduced, which was fine around town but made it a little loose on the highway. I've seen many high mileage racks get that way over the years, but it definitely happened sooner on that vehicle.

I've used Red Line's PSF in a Honda before. Non-issue for the duration I used it, but that wasn't terribly long. 10k miles, very very roughly?

Thanks all, call me anal or a chicken, I went with Honda PSF.

Got 2 bottles and consumed them through reservoir using a pump, remove old fluid and add new. Drive around, then rinse and repeat. Did it 4 times over few days and now fluid is good
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
Thanks all, call me anal or a chicken, I went with Honda PSF.

Got 2 bottles and consumed them through reservoir using a pump, remove old fluid and add new. Drive around, then rinse and repeat. Did it 4 times over few days and now fluid is good
smile.gif

This is what I did when I first changed out the PSF in my Accord. The old fluid looked & smelled like rancid soy sauce
sick.gif

In my case, just the first extraction was bit dark, I believe PO did a flush around 136K.

Otherwise, yes it was dark but not chocolate color
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: mclasser
This is what I did when I first changed out the PSF in my Accord. The old fluid looked & smelled like rancid soy sauce
sick.gif

Maybe that's Honda's special additive.
wink.gif

Idemitsu makes a Honda P/S Fluid. The price is about 30% lower and the bottles look the same. Not sure if it is the same stuff though.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: mclasser
sick.gif

Maybe that's Honda's special additive.
wink.gif

Maybe right, because that's why it runs forever
laugh.gif

When I brought my Accord home,I changed every fluid (transmission,power steering,brakes,coolant,and oil). I used Honda oem fluids for everything except the motor oil.

I switched about 2 years from Honda PS to Lucas (the one that says All makes and models, including Honda). The steering feels much smoother and more responsive than ever, so I plan to switch my other car to Lucas in the near future.

Last edited:
This is going to sound like an ad for Lucas universal PSF + seal conditioner, but i am really impressed!

I had replaced the old PSF in my Cad with maxlife about a year ago, and the steering was pretty smooth except for a little catch every now and then. Earlier today I replaced the the maxlife with Lucas, and took it for a test drive. The improvement was obvious within about 15 min, with much smoother, easier turning. Based on my experience in the Odyssey, I expect it to continue to improve over the next few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back